autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Finished! - Wetsanding a 1929 Model A Sedan Delivery Streetrod - Fresh Paint

Finished! - Wetsanding a 1929 Model A Sedan Delivery Streetrod - Fresh Paint

1929 Model A Sedan Delivery Streetrod - Wet sanded, cut and polished at Autogeek.com

Sanding prep

Prep step 1: Washing - We started at 8:30am today with washing the dust off this project car using a foam gun.

Prep step 2: Mechanical decontamination - Next we re-foamed the car and used Nanoskin Mitts & Towels to remove the overspray paint.

After getting the car clean, here is the process we used,

Step 1: Test Spot

Step 2: Hand sand - #2000 Nikken

Step 3: Machine sand - #3000 Mirka Abralon

Step 4: Compound - SONAX CutMax with FLEX PE14 Rotary Polisher - Lake Country Wool Cutting Pads

Step 5: Polish - SONAX EX 04-06 with FLEX 3401 - Lake Country Hybrid Foam Pads

Problem paint - For the hood and the rear fenders we used RUPES BigFoot 21 with RUPES Zephir Gloss Compound and the RUPES Coarse Foam Cutting Pad

Below are a few pictures after the final wipe-off of the polish only.

NOTE: There is not a single paint manufacturer that recommends "sealing" the surface with a wax, synthetic sealant or ceramic paint coating, there are forum and facebook experts that recommend this and if they want to do it to their own custom paint job that's their choice.

Me?

I respect the paint manufacturer's recommendations. After 30 days air cure the owner will bring this car back and we will do a final polish and THEN seal the paint.

Here's the after pictures...

2. Thanks Dan Tran thanked for this post
    Likes JKDesign liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Finished! - Wetsanding a 1929 Model A Sedan Delivery Streetrod - Fresh Paint

Also....

Thank you to everyone that joined in today. Especially Glen who through we started at 7:00am and actually drove here last night and stayed at a hotel.

Also, the father/son team that came to learn more about this process for their upcoming project.

Plus Jim, Frank, Craig and all the rest of the guys...

I appreciate it when everyone takes this type of project serious as though this were their own car.

Mike Phillips

Re: Finished! - Wetsanding a 1929 Model A Sedan Delivery Streetrod - Fresh Paint

One more thing....

Thank you to Mike Gelter - the owner for trusting Autogeek with this freshly painted streetrod and also for providing the pizza!

Detailers run on pizza!

Another car project completed in 2017 here at Autogeek. I'm going to try to create a thread that shows ALL the cars that were detailed here just this year. My guess is it will blow us all away.

Time to set the alarm and shut down Autogeek's Show Car Garage!

5. Likes JKDesign liked this post
    Mike Phillips

One more thing....

For those of you interested, we shot 4-5 Facebook Live videos including one on how to remove a paint sag or run... these are on my FB page here,

https://www.facebook.com/Mike.Phillips.Autogeek/

7. Likes JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome!

Thank you Mike for documenting this & although I wasn’t there personally (I’m sure you know I would be if I could be ) thank you for involving us, the forum members & letting us be a part of it. I don’t do a great deal of wet sanding but I like knowing I can when the time presents itself & I reckon I’d be a lot better & more efficient at it had I been taught by yourself Mike. I’m sure everyone took away a wealth of knowledge today, even the regular guys who have been there & done that.

That sweet little pumpkin looks outstanding now & you all done it justice! Hats off to the whole team!

Merry Christmas from the sweltering summer Islands of the South Pasific - New Zealand! 🇳🇿

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! Beautiful, beautiful work!

Love the color too!

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post
    ...I’m sure everyone took away a wealth of knowledge today, even the regular guys who have been there & done that.

Aaryn NZ.
    Even though I've been to several of Mike's wet sanding projects, it's always good to hear the same things again and fine tune those wet sanding skills.

Like you said...it's good to know you can when the time presents itself.

Each project is unique with its own challenges and this one was no exception.

11. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to personally thank Mike for allowing me to practice what he taught in this session today. After taking his two day class on wet sanding as well as the processes needed to bring paint to the final polish on different types of cars and paint.I was itching to prove that I learned properly. The skills I learned in the 2 day class allowed me to enjoy not feeling lost among the experienced pros! Also thank's to forum member FrankS who also helped when Mike was busy working which was most of the time since this was not a class but a working get together type of event.

Anyone who would like to go to these open Garage sessions should really attend either Mikes Road Show class or the Competition Ready class if possible. I plan to attend the 3 day class next. Imagine yourself playing golf with your buddies after getting private lessons from your favorite pro golfer.

13. Likes Aaryn NZ, FrankS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

WoW! She looks great, cant wait to see the finished product. The owner should be very proud.
    'Cause there's just something women like about a pickup man.
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome job Mike and crew!
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

16. Likes FrankS liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast