autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Scuff & Buff - Wet Sanding Single Stage Metallic Paint - 1948 Willys Jeepster

Scuff & Buff - Wet Sanding Single Stage Metallic Paint - 1948 Willys Jeepster

My good friend Mike Gelter recently had this 1948 Willys Jeepster painted with a single stage metallic paint system. The paint had some orange peel and while it looked good in full sun there was no gloss or crispness to the finish in any other light setting. I had an IDA CD and SV Certification Class coming up and because I had a few guys flying in from other states I asked if while they were here would they like me to set up a fun car detailing project. Everyone attending said "yes".

So I put together a wet sanding class for everyone involved and also opened it up to local car guys.

This 1948 Willys Jeepster is sitting on a Jeep CJ8 frame and running gear with a small block Chevy 350 and Turbo 350 transmission mated to the Jeep CJ8 Transfercase. She runs and drive nice! The paint just needs what I call a Scuff & Buff.

1948 Willys Jeepster

Here's a few pictures showing the orange peel...

Mike Phillips

Re: Scuff & Buff - Wet Sanding Single Stage Metallic Paint - 1948 Willys Jeepster

Continued....

Scuff & Buff
    It's not generally a good idea wetsand single stage metallic paint jobs because you're sanding directly on the metallic flake and if you sand too much or compound and polish too much you can alter the appearance of the paint job in a negative way.

I told Mike the owner about the difficulty in wetsanding single stage paints but he really wanted the finish to have more pop, more gloss and shine. So I told him I would do what I call a Scuff & Buff job.

A Scuff & Buff is where you just LIGHTLY sand the surface using high grit sanding papers or sanding discs. In this case we used 3M Trizact #3000 by machine. I had some guys that had never machine sanded and because there were tight areas, thin panels and raised body lines, I had everyone use the Griot's 3" Mini Polisher which is a 5mm dual action polisher. When you attach the 3" 3M Trizact sanding discs to the backing plate you turn the polisher into a slick little machine sander that is SUPER EASY to control and guide over the paint. I

t's also really easy for even a beginner to use precision control over the tool to sand along edges and raised body lines.

I did a quick demonstration on how to machine sand and then turned the team loose on the car. (I was conducting certification tests).

Here's a test spot we did to see what it would take to remove the sanding marks. Sorry no pics of the guys using the rotary buffers with wool pads as everyone was buffing.

Here's the Jeepster with a coat of SONAX High Speed Wax on it drying...

Mike Phillips

Re: Scuff & Buff - Wet Sanding Single Stage Metallic Paint - 1948 Willys Jeepster

Continued.....

Here's the results....

Mike Phillips

Continued....

Here's the products we used...

With these two tools along you can really tackle just about any car or boat detailing project under the sun....

And here's the team that made the magic happen!

From left to right...

Craig, Warren, Paul, Rohan, Tim, John and Frank

Mike Phillips

Continued....

Parting shots....

The flake just comes alive in the sun!

Classic Willys Jeepsters have a very unique personality....

The perfect run-around rig for sunny South Florida!

This is the last car to go through Autogeek's Show Car Garage for 2016. Stay tuned as next week I'll put all the cars that went through our garage into a single thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Looks a lot better in the sunlight from before we got to work on it. The team really made this Jeepster pop! I'm sure the customer Mike G. was pleased. Thanks for the great write-up and photo's Mike!

Post Thanks / Like

As you mentioned Mike, single stage metallic paint can be difficult to sand and then compound/polish and have it come out right but I think we managed to pull it off.

It came out looking good!

Thanks for the opportunity to work on it.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the GG3 had a smaller throw than 8mm.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by conman1395 View Post

I thought the GG3 had a smaller throw than 8mm.
    You're correct and I've edited and changed what I wrote above. I had two sets of notes and one set of notes has the wrong info. I checked a message from Jeff Brown on my phone and the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher has a 5mm or 3/16" OSL or Orbit Stroke Lenght.

Mike Phillips

Not pictured....

My buddy Daniel Torres had to leave early so he wasn't in the group picture. He is alumni of my first boat detailing class.

Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class Pictures - April 18th, 2015

Daniel Torres

Thanks for joining us Daniel!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast