autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Pictures: Detailing Boot Camp Class - September 28th & 29th 2013

Continued....

After machine sanding the headlights the next step is to remove the sanding marks as this will restore clarity to the plastic and create a smooth surface to apply the headlight sealant.

Flex PE14 Rotary Buffer with Cyclo 4" Yellow Wool Pads
    The Cyclo 4" yellow wool pads are the perfect size for machine polishing headlights together with the PlastX that comes in the Meguiar's headlight restoration kit. Fact is any quality compound or polish will remove sanding marks out of plastic headlights when using a wool pad on a rotary buffer.

The Flex PE14 only weights 5 pounds and because it's compact in size, it's very easy to use for headlight restoration.

Rotary Buffer Demonstration
    Even though you can just dab some product onto the pad or the headlight, smoosh it around and start buffing I showed how to use the 10 @ 10 Technique which the class will learn again when they use rotary buffers to remove sanding marks out of paint.

Hands-On Training
    Now everyone rotates through and tests out the Flex PE14 Rotary Polisher to remove sanding marks.

Recap and recover
    After each detailing procedure we regather to go over what we just learned and there's time for comments and questions. As the day goes on it's also a chance to rest and refresh with some water, soda pop or coffee.

Notice we didn't apply the headlight sealant yet?

That's because we still have to wash this Tahoe...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the photos of the latest Detailing Boot Camp installment!

-Upon "seeing" the current phases of the Tahoe headlight restoration project:
    I don't remember for sure, but I thought that safety-eyewear was worn by attendees
    of other Detailing Boot Camps, while performing/watching "machining processes".

Please advise. Thanks.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Thanks for the photos of the latest Detailing Boot Camp installment!

-Upon "seeing" the current phases of the Tahoe headlight restoration project:
    I don't remember for sure, but I thought that safety-eyewear was worn by attendees
    of other Detailing Boot Camps, while performing/watching "machining processes".

Please advise. Thanks.

Bob
    Yes.

We have safety glasses in the classroom and they are available to anyone that wants to wear them. I wear prescription eye glasses so I skip the safety glasses for these classes. Some of the guys in this class did wear them throughout the weekend.

Good eyes Bob...

As for pictures, Bryan was my photographer as was Nick and myself. On Monday morning when I tool a look to see how many pictures were on the memory card there are over 1400

Yes... that's 1400 pictures to go through... I'll add a few each day but I have a lot of other tasks to take care of too...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The perfect class if you want to make your cars look shiny the best and most efficient way. A must for guys getting into the detailing business and great for guys that love working on their own cars and boats...like me. Thanks for a great class Mike!

Post Thanks / Like

This class exceeded my expectations. I am now prepared to detail my own vehicles, but I think I will start with a neighbor's car first, LOL. Looking forward to putting to use the techniques and products.

Super Member Pinpoint_Precision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice Mike. Next year I will for sure attend it. I went there to Autogeek about 4 days ago I believe. First time, long drive for sure. Andre took care of me as Brian and Nick was about leaving. Thank God I was able to get my stuff, didn't know I had to actually buy first and the pick up only, now I know. You weren't there any more because I didnt see your shiny red Truck. . Already putting the money on the side for the class as we speak. I want to learn the art of sanding better. It's a must for me.
    Pinpoint Precision Auto Detailing
    Modesta Glass Coating | Suntek Ultra PPF

Http://www.pinpointprecisionautodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike

Looks like you had a great class. Wish I could have been there for this one. Maybe January.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

This class was awesome! It completely exceeded all of my expectations. From the threads that I read before going to the class, I knew we would be working on some great cars and dealing with a lot of different tools and products, but I'm still amazed at how much I learned in just the two days of class. Now that I have been to the class, I really wish I had decided to go sooner as I am now comfortable with tackling removing the swirls on my black Challenger. Unfortunately, after I showed my wife some of the pictures of the cars that we worked on in class, she wants me to detail her car first.

Also, just want to say that it was great meeting Nick, Bryan, and Andre from Autogeek as well. Being that I'm just a hobbyist and plan on just detailing my vehicles, everyone went out of their way to make sure I fully understood the products and techniques that were taught in the class.

I guess this little icon says it all for you Mike.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dan K View Post

I had a great time at boot camp! It met and exceeded all of my expectations. The hands-on training was great; we got to try out so many products and different pieces of equipment.

Many thanks to Mike, Nick, Brian, and Andre for putting on such a great event. I highly encourage anyone who is thinking about going to get signed up.

I am usually not up early on the weekends, but I was so excited to get to class Saturday and Sunday that I was up and out of bed as soon as the alarm went off.

Today was a different story, knowing that I just had to head to the airport to fly back home.

What else can I say other than Mike

Thank you Dan for posting your feedback from your experience at the class. There's no other classes like this anywhere in which you get to test out so many tools, pads, products and procedures and also do it on cool cars! Not rentals, demo hoods or cookie sheets.

I hope to see you posting to the forum into the future!

Always lots of cool new products being introduced to this industry and AutogeekOnline not only tends to introduce them first but also bring them to the retail market first.

Thanks for adding the little tidbit about being excited to get up early just to get to the class! I too get up pretty early to get to the class with a stop at Dunkin Donuts along the way...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

Niki it's always great to have you here at Autogeek working on all the cool projects that go through our classes...

AWESOME WEEKEND.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast