autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Pictures and Comments - January 26th & 27th 2013 Detailing Boot Camp Class

Outside in sunny Stuart, Florida!

Great work guys!

Next up... how to wetsand and use rotary buffers...

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up and photos Mike, love the results on the 1964 delivery sedan, this being a large vehicle enabled a lot of your students the opportunity to work on it at the same time, and to learn by doing. The finished result looks amazing, I can't wait to see the Impala

Post Thanks / Like

I just completed Mike's detailing camp and it was a great experience. It is amazing how much you can learn in 2 days from someone who really knows the business inside and out and who can convey that information in a logical, easy to understand manner.

Mike, Nick and Ray are all extremely professional and unbelievably helpful--they really want you to learn and to excel in the class. The best advice I can give is to get involved in the class and don't watch everyone else learn. You have to jump in and get the experience or you might as well sit home and watch videos.

I honestly believe that the things I learned in this class will make my detailing jobs better and quicker. The time savings on each job will easily pay for this class with increased productivity. Whether you are serious about detailing as a full time job, as a second source of income or just for the enjoyment of having your personal car looking awesome don't miss this chance to learn from one of the best.

Take the class as quickly as you can and GET INVOLVED in the learning.

Mike Phillips

Next...
    One car and a host of detailing procedure and techniques are finished with wrap-up of the 1964 Chevy Sedan Deliver and now it's time to move on to the 1963 Chevy Impala SS

Rinseless Wash and Waterless Wash
    First up we need to get the exterior clean. For most classic and antique vehicles I never personally wash them and recommend to others to avoid washing them. The reason for this is to avoid getting water/moisture into places you cannot get to in order to dry completely thus potentially creating a rust problem. This is especially true for any body-off-frame restorations where someone has already invested a lot of time and money removing any rust.

Waterless and Rinseless Washing is the Trend
    Waterless and Rinseless Washing has been the trend for years now and will continue to be the trend into the foreseeable future. Inf fact look for the term Blue Gold to be used more as it relates to clean water supplies.

To get the 1963 Chevy Impala clean we went over how to use both a Rinseless Wash and a Waterless Wash using products from the Detailer's Line. For this portion of the class I removed the Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer from the Pad Washer Cart and placed a graduated 5-gallon bucket in it's place. With this set-up you don't have to bend over and you have a place to set your supply of clean microfiber towels and drying towels.

Avoiding instilling swirls and scratches when doing a rinseless or waterless wash means using lots of microfiber towels. The idea being is after you get dirt particles onto a microfiber towel you either turn to a clean side, rinse in your rinseless wash bucket or switch to a clean towel. (Your choice)

Rinseless Wash
    Quality microfiber towels are soft to your paint when you wipe polish and wax residue off the surface and in the same way are soft to your car's paint when used with a rinseless or waterless wash.

In this demonstration I'm showing the extreme anal retentive way to clean the surface and that is to make two wipes with one towel and then retire the towel and start a new with a clean towel.

Waterless Wash
    The key to using a waterless wash is to use the product liberally, that means use a LOT of product to hyper lubricate the surface.

Hands-on Time
    Everyone gets with the program and gets this car washed and wiped clean...

Done.
    Took us only a few minutes to get the clean and dry.

Mike Phillips

How to use the Speedy Prep Surface Towel to Remove Above Surface Bonded Contaminants

Now that we have the 1963 Impala SS clean and dry, it's time to learn how to use the Speedy Prep Surface Towel instead of detailing clay to remove any bonded contaminants off the paint.

Speedy Prep Surface Towels ready to go to work!

First I had a number of people do the Baggie Test to feel how contaminated the paint truly was. Here's Jeff feeling the paint.

Next I spray some Detailer's Universal Clay Lubricant liberally onto the paint...

Then using the towel folded 4-ways I rub it over a section of paint till I no longer hear any sound or feel any contaminants.

The paint feels smooth as glass but I'm going to have Jeff check my work using the baggie test.

The Speedy Prep Surface Towel works great for decontaminating paint and the feedback I received from everyone that had never used it before was overwhelmingly positive.

Mike Phillips

Pinnacle Ultra Poly Detailing Clay
    There were a few guys that have never used detailing clay to clay a car and that's perfectly okay because there was a time that I had never used detailing clay before and if you're reading this there was a time you had never used or even heard of "Detailing Clay".

First up I explained how it works and how to form it into a patty about the size of a pancake.

Kneading the clay into a pancake size patty....

Next I demonstrated the correct technique which surprised some people. Look at how my hand is a blur...

That's because I'm moving it very fast or rapid over the surface and that's how you use it. It's not a slow process, it's a fairly quick process.

After claying a section you turn your clay over and inspect, if you see contaminants accumulating off the surface of the paint and onto the face of the clay then you re-knead the clay to bury the contaminants into the clay and expose a fresh portion of clay and then continue around the car.

Hands-on Training and Practice
    Now it's time for everyone to get busy and get the paint on this car decontaminated and as smooth as glass.

And done!

Now it's time to set-up for machine wetsanding...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Parker View Post

Great write up and photos Mike, love the results on the 1964 delivery sedan, this being a large vehicle enabled a lot of your students the opportunity to work on it at the same time, and to learn by doing. The finished result looks amazing,

Thanks Craig. For everyone reading this into the future, Craig is Alumni as he's attended the Detailing Bootcamp Class I held in September of 2012.

Pictures & Comments from September 2012 Detailing Boot Camp

For this bootcamp class I had some very cool cars for everyone to work on also..

Here's Craig working on a 1966 Corvette

And here's Craig working on a 1940 Ford Coupe...

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Parker View Post

I can't wait to see the Impala
    Working on the pictures today, might not get them up until next week though as I have a hot offline project to complete today and a Thursday Night class in a few hours.

I will get them into this thread though...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by OCD-tailing View Post

I just completed Mike's detailing camp and it was a great experience. It is amazing how much you can learn in 2 days from someone who really knows the business inside and out and who can convey that information in a logical, easy to understand manner.

Mike, Nick and Ray are all extremely professional and unbelievably helpful--they really want you to learn and to excel in the class. The best advice I can give is to get involved in the class and don't watch everyone else learn. You have to jump in and get the experience or you might as well sit home and watch videos.

I honestly believe that the things I learned in this class will make my detailing jobs better and quicker. The time savings on each job will easily pay for this class with increased productivity. Whether you are serious about detailing as a full time job, as a second source of income or just for the enjoyment of having your personal car looking awesome don't miss this chance to learn from one of the best.

Take the class as quickly as you can and GET INVOLVED in the learning.

Hey Allen it was really good talking to you and working with you for this two day class. Your professionalism and attention to detail was very apparent to myself and everyone else.

I hope to see you active on the forum moving into the future...

Mike Phillips

***Update***

There's a lot of really hot offline projects taking place behind the scenes so picture and typing time are very limited right now.

I have not been able to get to the rest of my pictures from my January 2013 Detailing Bootcamp Class yet where we wetsanded this 1963 Impala and then cut and polished it using rotary buffers but I will and they're very good.

Post Thanks / Like

great job guys
    Ross

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast