autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Pictures and Comments - January 26th & 27th 2013 Detailing Boot Camp Class

Hands-on is an understatement! I can count on one hand the number of car guys who can teach, talk, write, educate and actually sand, cut, polish and wax a special car - Mike Phillips is at the top of the list.

This was a high energy, fast paced, information filled and experience packed workshop. We were in the shop and on the cars for over eleven hours on Saturday and nine hours on Sunday. We talked shop for an additional two hours on Saturday evening.

Mike, Nick, and Ray were well prepared and the shop was loaded with hundreds of towels and pads, dozens of polishes, compounds, waxes, coatings, chemicals and what seemed to be unlimited equipment/tools. Each topic was introduced with a brief slide show reviewing the process, objectives and pitfalls and then we were turned loose on the cars.

This was not play-time but real serious work on someone's classic ride. If you were edging with a buffer, Mike would grab your hands on the machine and level you out and if you we're moving to fast he would slow you down. We then had a brief recap of the topic with questions and discussion.

Mike loves, lives and talks cars and paint polishing. "Cars" are the classics that deserve a three stage polish and a show car finish. With over twenty two hours of instructor contact time and unlimited tools, equipment and supplies, this workshop is easily under priced and over delivers. It was a fun and rewarding weekend and I recommend it to anyone interested in the art, science and application of auto detailing.

Mike Phillips

Re: Pictures and Comments - January 26th & 27th 2013 Detailing Boot Camp Class

Quote Originally Posted by Uptown Mike View Post

This was a high energy, fast paced, information filled and experience packed workshop. We were in the shop and on the cars for over eleven hours on Saturday and nine hours on Sunday. We talked shop for an additional two hours on Saturday evening.

And as the saying goes...

That's how we roll here at Autogeek!

Thank you so much Mike for joining the forum and chiming to share your feedback and experience. You know I appreciate it and it was genuinely fun hanging out at the Marriott lounge Saturday night getting to know everyone.

More pictures tomorrow as I continue to work through the 1,300 plus pictures on my memory card!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I have settled back into my day job and I am missing hanging with the boys at the bootcamp getting our hands dirty.

Not only was this a great experience for a newbie but I think it was very beneficial to those of us with some experience. It gave me a chance to get all those burning questions answered and get my hands on some new stuff.

Mike, Ray and Nick dropped a ton of knowledge on us and worked very hard. They orchestrated the weekend to allow exposure to a number of different product lines. Heck, I learned a lot from the other guys in the course. Everyone brought something to the table.

My son Sam and I had a great time. It was definitely worth the investment and I would highly recommend signing up. The pearl to coin ratio was very high at this one!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by dpope View Post

My son Sam and I had a great time. It was definitely worth the investment and I would highly recommend signing up. The pearl to coin ratio was very high at this one!

Hi David,

It was a genuine pleasure meeting and working with both you and your son Sam. Remember if there's ever anything I can do for either of you please feel free to drop me a line or give me a call.

More pictures going up today!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone! I have to say that I really enjoyed the class, I had such a great time with Mike, Ray, Nick and all the guys that attended the class, specially with Alan and Jeff that where sitting right next to me.

I felt really comfortable using all the great machines and products, the DA'S are so easy to work with, the Nanoskin Autoscrub pads are awesome, I think that they really replace the clay bars in such an easy way.

As I said in the class, the Tornador guns, they rock the interior so great, specially the Black one, I was impressed by how the interior of the van changed from a darked and dirty upholstery to clear, good looking and also non smelly, because it smelled a lot like someone really smokes. I hope that the owner appreciates the job we all did on the interior and the exterior. I found funny that the front-right tire was made in Argentina!

I found very useful the microfiber pads, they are easy to clean and work with. I also liked the Sonax products, they worked excellent over the van, we where able to remove those swirls and water spots and bring back that smooth, glossy and shiny paint finish that used to have a long time ago.

I loved the sedan delivery how it turned to have that wet look and swirl free paint finish, specially those red parts, they turned so glossy and smooth.

The white Impala, as far as the paint finish allowed, we made a great improvement wet sanding it and removing those holograms and scratches, we gave back that shiny and smooth finish.

Hey Mike, did your fiance thank you for what we did to her lovely Accord?? ha ha

I would like to thank all the Autogeek stuff and all the guys that attended the class, for making me feel so comfortable and happy.

Mike, you are THE instructor. I think you have such an excellent knowledge and you demonstrate and transmit that passion for polishing and taking care of cars and give them that show car finish we all want. You encourage everyone to go and do something to make a car look the best we can. I learned so many tips and tricks that I will never forget. I absolutely enjoyed talking to you on Monday at your office, thank you for all of your time, I really appreciate it. I'm reading over all of your write up's on the forum.

Imagine that I flew 4500 miles from Buenos Aires to Miami, and it was definitely worth the investment and I would highly recommend signing up.

If someone ever flies to Buenos Aires, Argentina, feel free to contact me and will take you out for some nice dinner places and make you feel comfortable the same way everybody did during my stay.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike / Nick / Ray / Autogeek:

Thank you for a great weekend of learning how to detail cars! I would, without reservation, recommend your Detailing Boot Camp Class because there is no substitute for hands-on experience with knowledgeable (and patient!) instructors.

The Class gives you two whole days using a wide variety of detailing tools and processes with the Autogeek team guiding you on which tool / process to select (and why) for a particular job, and then helping you to master the correct technique for applying that tool / process.

The detailing tools and processes are constantly advancing with new products becoming available all the time - the Boot Class Camp exposes you, with no bias, to a broad range of the very latest products so that you can quickly determine the most efficient and effective tool / process to achieve your detailing goals.

As very much a detailing beginner, I was so grateful to Mike, Nick and Ray for their clear instructions, tolerance of my errors and patience in helping me develop the correct techniques whilst at the same time ensuring that even professional detailers were always learning new approaches, tips and ways to provide the best detailing services for their customers.

And above all, I am grateful for the incredible energy, commitment and passion for detailing and for education that Mike and his team gave, unreservedly, for 20 straight hours so that we could all create show car perfect results!

Thank you all,

Sergio

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by PabloAutobrillo View Post

Hi everyone! I have to say that I really enjoyed the class, I had such a great time with Mike, Ray, Nick and all the guys that attended the class, specially with Alan and Jeff that where sitting right next to me.

I felt really comfortable using all the great machines and products, the DA'S are so easy to work with, the Nanoskin Autoscrub pads are awesome, I think that they really replace the clay bars in such an easy way.
    We've had a lot of positive feedback on the Nanoskin Autoscrub pads from everyone that attended this class and it was easy to feel how smooth they make the paint and as I cover in the Power Point Presentation

Gloss starts first with a smooth surface...

As I said in the class, the Tornador guns, they rock the interior so great, specially the Black one, I was impressed by how the interior of the van changed from a darked and dirty upholstery to clear, good looking and also non smelly, because it smelled a lot like someone really smokes. I hope that the owner appreciates the job we all did on the interior and the exterior. I found funny that the front-right tire was made in Argentina!
    Tom LOVED the way both the inside and outside of the Van looked when he arrived to pick it up on Monday morning. We've really cemented our friendship with Tom and at my next Detailing Bootcamp Class we'll have his other Airport Van here for the next group to learn how to do exterior and interior detailing.

WAIT TILL YOU SEE THE BEFORE AND AFTER PICTURES OF THE VAN!

And "yes" it's amazing how much more power the BLACK Tornador Guns offer over the white Tornador Guns.

I found very useful the microfiber pads, they are easy to clean and work with. I also liked the Sonax products, they worked excellent over the van, we where able to remove those swirls and water spots and bring back that smooth, glossy and shiny paint finish that used to have a long time ago.
    The paint on the Van looks better than new. SONAX has hit a home run with their new Fine Abrasive Paste and Nano Polish and they work great with Lake Country Ultra Microfiber Pads. I tested these specifically on black paint and after proving their performance on black paint I included them for this class. (They are new to the U.S. market).

I loved the sedan delivery how it turned to have that wet look and swirl free paint finish, specially those red parts, they turned so glossy and smooth.
    Carlos bought this truck for $9000.00 sight unseen and it's a very high quality build for a streetrod at this price. All it needed was all the holograms removed and a deep, wet shine restored and now it's ready to cruise or show.

The white Impala, as far as the paint finish allowed, we made a great improvement wet sanding it and removing those holograms and scratches, we gave back that shiny and smooth finish.
    The paint on the Impala is not as high as quality as on the 1964 Delivery Truck but it sure came out clear, glossy and wet looking.

Hey Mike, did your fiance thank you for what we did to her lovely Accord?? ha ha
    Yes she did, bonus points for me!

I would like to thank all the Autogeek stuff and all the guys that attended the class, for making me feel so comfortable and happy.
    Nick and Ray are great and helping out and making sure everyone is well taken care of. Behind the scenes we also had help from the entire staff here at Autogeek including Jason, Meghan and of course Max the President and CEO of PBMA.

Mike, you are THE instructor. I think you have such an excellent knowledge and you demonstrate and transmit that passion for polishing and taking care of cars and give them that show car finish we all want. You encourage everyone to go and do something to make a car look the best we can. I learned so many tips and tricks that I will never forget. I absolutely enjoyed talking to you on Monday at your office, thank you for all of your time, I really appreciate it. I'm reading over all of your write up's on the forum.

Imagine that I flew 4500 miles from Buenos Aires to Miami, and it was definitely worth the investment and I would highly recommend signing up.
    Thank you for your kind words Pablo, I'm so very glad you were able to attend this class and I know I've made a friend for life.

If someone ever flies to Buenos Aires, Argentina, feel free to contact me and will take you out for some nice dinner places and make you feel comfortable the same way everybody did during my stay.

I'm going to take you up on this offer sometime in the future and bring Stacy with me. I'll give you plenty of heads-up before the trip so you can line us up a cool car to tag-team.

Quote Originally Posted by Abi05 View Post

Mike / Nick / Ray / Autogeek:

Thank you for a great weekend of learning how to detail cars! I would, without reservation, recommend your Detailing Boot Camp Class because there is no substitute for hands-on experience with knowledgeable (and patient!) instructors.
    Take my word for it, we have just as much fun as everyone else.

The Class gives you two whole days using a wide variety of detailing tools and processes with the Autogeek team guiding you on which tool / process to select (and why) for a particular job, and then helping you to master the correct technique for applying that tool / process.

The detailing tools and processes are constantly advancing with new products becoming available all the time - the Boot Class Camp exposes you, with no bias, to a broad range of the very latest products so that you can quickly determine the most efficient and effective tool / process to achieve your detailing goals.
    I tell everyone these classes are fast-paced and jam-packed full of information backed up by hands-on training and we don't ever let anyone down.

As very much a detailing beginner, I was so grateful to Mike, Nick and Ray for their clear instructions, tolerance of my errors and patience in helping me develop the correct techniques whilst at the same time ensuring that even professional detailers were always learning new approaches, tips and ways to provide the best detailing services for their customers.

And above all, I am grateful for the incredible energy, commitment and passion for detailing and for education that Mike and his team gave, unreservedly, for 20 straight hours so that we could all create show car perfect results!

Thank you all,

Sergio
    And those long hours flew by!

Thank you Sergio for a well-written synopsis of your class experience, it was great to have you in the class and always remember if there's anything I can to for you in the future don't hesitate to call, e-mail or post to the forum.

Mike Phillips

After demonstrating how to use the Flex 3401 with 5" and 6.5" Hybrid Cutting pads and dialing-in the test spot it's time for everyone to busy...

David and Sam priming their pad before they start...

Dustin and Maurris priming their pads...

Jeremy working on the back of the truck to remove holograms and scratches...

Jeff working on the driver's side door...

Scott working on the hood to remove holograms...

Sam working on the passenger side panel...

Willis working on the passenger side panel...

A little hands-on training to show how much pressure to apply, which direction to move the polisher and how slow to move it over the surface really flattens out the learning curve.

Maurris will be going home to buff out a collection of all original muscle cars including 1960's era Corvettes and Camaros with the skills he's learned at our class...

Dustin using the Flex with a 6.5" Hybrid cutting pad on the hood...

Joe testing out the Cyclo Polisher on the driver's side panel...

Watching Jeff work up and down the edge between the door and the truck bed...

Joe using the Flex 3401 with the 6.5" Hybrid Cutting Pad to remove holograms out of the clear coat finish on this classy, classic 1964 Chevrolet Panel Delivery.

Here's Pablo working the hood over...

A little tweak to technique for Sergio as he works the lower portion of the passenger side fender...

Mike Phillips

Hologram removal continued...

Sergio buffing along like a pro...

Here's Alan working on the hood...

In the front is Howard and behind him is David, both using the Flex 3401 with 6.5" Hybrid Cutting pads and Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover to remove the holograms inflicted into the paint by a rotary buffer and the last guy that buffed this streetrod out.

Sergio and Nick discussing how to approach raised body lines and edges between panels...

Jeff using the Flex 3401 with a 5" Hybrid pad on the Lake Country 4" Adapter Backing Plate.

Chris adding some "working product" to the face of Dustin's pad...

Willis running the pad along the tape-line to ensure all swirls are removed...

Sergio using the 5" Hybrid Pad for the narrow portion of the back of the truck bed...

Jeremy hard at it... this guy was a machine!

Towards the end of the first machine buffing step there were still some holograms on the lower portion of the truck bed, I explained like I do in all my classes that there's no glory in buffing out cars because it's hard, dirty work.

If you don't have a hydraulic lift to bring the car up to you... then you lower yourself to the car because you want to be looking across from the paint you're working on.

So here I am showing exactly what I mean and leading by example...

Anytime you're machine compounding or machine polishing paint you have two things building up on the face of your buffing pads,

• Spent product
    • Removed paint

And you need to remove these two build-ups of gunk so you work at maximum efficiency.

When using the Flex 3401 the fastest and easiest way to remove the majority of any built-up gunk is using a Nylon Pad Conditioning Brush which you can get at Autogeek.net

Next up we're going to re-polish every square inch of paint using a less aggressive polishing pad and polish but already the paint is coming to life!

Mike Phillips

After the hood was buffed out the RIDS showed up. That's normal, to remove some of these deeper scratches before going to the polishing step I spent a little time using the rotary buffer to chase them out...

That's a long reach getting out to the center of the hood...

Using a steel spur to clean a wool pad...

Here we've opened the hood to get the paint covered by the hood when it's closed...

Getting ready to pick up my bead of product using the 10 @ 10 Technique which everyone is going to learn next on the Impala...

Machine Polishing
    Here we've moved on to the polishing step using the same tool, the Flex 3401 but now we've switched over to Lake Country White Hybrid Polishing Pads and Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish.

Dustin and Alan working the driver's side...

Dustin working on the Barn Doors...

Jeff working on the section of paint just below the stainless steel trim...

Chris working on the driver's side front fender...

Sealing the Paint
    Next we're going to seal the paint using Detailer's Poli-Coat Paint Sealant. This truck is parked outside all the time so we want to use a long lasting synthetic paint sealant...

Sam and Jeremy knocking out the Barn Doors and rear valance and rear chrome bumper...

Joe really like machine sealing the paint much better than working by hand...

Same machine sealing the paint using the Meguiar's G110v2 DA Polisher...

Wiping-off Techniques
    After you've machine polished the paint on any car to perfection it's important not to put scratches back in anytime you "touch" the paint and this includes when you wipe dried wax or paint sealant off the finish.

Dress the tires
    Time to dress the tires and restore a deep, dark black satin look with Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Spray. Remember, we REALLY cleaned the wheels and tires well so to ensure the entire truck has a "completed" look you can't leave out the details like dressing the tires.

Finished - Looking pretty good!
    Time to move the Chevy outside and inspect our work and time to move the 1963 Chevy Impala inside and get ready to wetsand the paint.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast