autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Pictures and Comments - January 26th & 27th 2013 Detailing Boot Camp Class

After wheels and tires I teach starting at the top and working your way down.

For as long as I can remember, any book I've read, any article I've read and any instructions I've seen shared on how to wash a car teaches to start at the top and work down and after washing an entire vehicle THEN washing the wheels and tires but I make a case for starting with the wheels and tires FIRST and then start at the top and work down.

So here we go... first rinse off any loose surface dirt with a strong blast of water...

Then using a Boar's Hair Brush on an extendable handle, Pablo knocks out the roof...

Washing with wash mitts too...

Lots of time to ask questions when washing something as large as this classic sedan delivery...

Next up we inspected for Iron Contamination on the paint using Iron X Paste. I say we inspect because you won't know if there's contamination until you apply the paste and give it time to go to work. IF there is contamination any place there are iron particles it will show the color red.

In a perfect world, you won't see any red coloring effect and this is a good thing because it means your car's pant is NOT contaminated. While it's cool to see the red bleeding effect that's actually a bad thing because it means your paint is in fact contaminated.

It's better to NOT see any color and take comfort knowing your paint wasn't contaminated. Here's the deal though... you won't know unless you test.

After a few seconds sections of the paint start to bleed...

Down the spear running the length of the hood...

Now everyone applies the Iron X Paste to the entire exterior. Note the gloves?

My friend Renny Doyle always says,

"If it's on your skin it's in you"

So take the necessary health precautions when working with any car detailing chemicals.

Here's the good news for the owner Carlos, we didn't find very much iron contamination on his classic ride...

Next we dry the paint using Guzzler Waffle Weave Drying Chamois.

Next up we're going to decontaminate the paint by machine using Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads on Porter Cable, Griot's, Meguiar's DA Polishers, Cyclo Polishers and Flex 3401 DA Polishers. The guys find out real fast just how smooth paint is supposed to feel before you start doing any machine polishing.

More to come...

Post Thanks / Like

These pictures were from day one and we were just getting started, wait to you see some of our later work.

Mike teaches an excellent class, 26 years of detailing knowledge scrammed into 2 days and it's a lot to soak up. Mike starts the class by telling us that he will pour his heart and soul into the class and he does. Mike has such passion and skill for this work and it was a pleasure learning from him.

I would highly recommend this class!! Thanks Mike, sorry I missed the beers at the meet and greet but maybe I'll catch you at DetailFest.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by theparmachine View Post

These pictures were from day one and we were just getting started, wait to you see some of our later work.

Mike teaches an excellent class, 26 years of detailing knowledge scrammed into 2 days and it's a lot to soak up. Mike starts the class by telling us that he will pour his heart and soul into the class and he does. Mike has such passion and skill for this work and it was a pleasure learning from him.

I would highly recommend this class!!

Thanks for the kind words it was really nice putting a face to your forum nickname!

Quote Originally Posted by theparmachine View Post

Thanks Mike, sorry I missed the beers at the meet and greet but maybe I'll catch you at DetailFest.
    We had a great time and believe it or not they really do have GREAT food at the Marriott-Courtyard here in Stuart close to Autogeek. And for sure both Stacy and I will be at the Meet & Greet for Detail Fest both Friday and Saturday night this year as we'll have just been married in Key West a few weeks before.

Here's a picture I took of the Meet & Greet last Saturday Night using Chris aka Italian Guy's iPhone 5 as it has a better camera than my iPhone 4

Good times!

My favorite part of my detailing bootcamp camp is the "Meet & Greet" on Saturday night. It's fun to get out the garage, get some good food and some cold drinks and talk shop or anything else that comes up...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Had a great time in class last weekend. Mike phillips is a good teacher and explains in great detail on getting a car to look great and keeping it that way.

Mike Phillips

After we washed, decontaminated and dried the 1964 Chevy Sedan Delivery we brought her inside to inspect and remove above surface bonded contaminants.

In this picture Ray took you can see someone's hand in a plastic sandwich baggie feeling the paint...

In the Power Point Presentation we go over each step before doing the hands-on portion, in this case we're going over inspecting the paint AFTER washing and drying. You want the surface clean so when you feel the paint you don't scratch it or get a skewed reading and you look for swirls and scratches after you remove any dirt film that could be masking the true condition.

The paint had a course texture so bad in fact that you could easily feel a rough texture without doing the baggies test and you could really feel the contaminants when using the sandwich baggie.

To remove the above the above surface bonded contaminants we're going to use the Nanoskin Autoscrub pads using a variety of machine and also with the Nanoskin Glide.

When using the Nanoskin Autoscrub pads you want to use a liberal amount of lubrication...

As in use a lot of spray lubricant. The Glide comes as a concentrate so you can mix your own spray lube at 7:1

First up I'm going to demonstrate using the Flex 3401 and a Yellow/Medium Grade Nanoskin Autoscrub pad.

Wiping residue off to get the paint really dry so everyone can feel the difference...

Using the Metro-Vac Sidekick to completely dry the paint because if there's any moisture on the surface it keeps your hand from sliding and I wanted everyone to feel just how thorough the Nanoskin Autoscrub pads are at getting the paint completely flat and smooth.

Yeah... now they can see what I'm talking about... the proof is in the pudding...

Now it's time to demonstrate the Cyclo Polisher with 4" Autoscrub Pads. This is the standard Cyclo Polisher so it runs full out at 3000 OPM's. No problem just keep the pads moving and focus on the task at hand like you see here...

Next up is how to use the Autoscrub pads on the Griot's 6" DA Polisher, of course you can also use the PC and the Meguiar's G110v2

It's important to see the pad rotating so I show how to mark your backing plate to make it easy for your eyes to monitor for pad rotation.

Using the 2-3 speed setting on the Griot's...

Next up... time for hands-on training...

Mike Phillips

These guys did so good... for every step on every car the jumped right in and got busy...

Dustin using the Griot's 6" DA with a Nanoskin Autoscrub pad

Willis using the Cyclo Polisher with a Nanoskin Autoscrub pad

Chris using the Griot's 6" DA with a Nanoskin Autoscrub pad

Mike using the Griot's 6" DA with a Nanoskin Autoscrub pad

Jeremy using the Griot's 6" DA with a Nanoskin Autoscrub pad

Sergio using the Cyclo Polisher with the Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads...

Maurris wiping a panel clean and dry...

Jeff using the Flex 3401 with a stick handle instead of the forward bail handle...

Here's Jeremy using Pinnacle Ultra Poly Detailing clay to get into tight areas where the pad cannot be safely used.

Same using the Griot's 6" DA with the Nanoskin Autoscrub Pad...

David and team wiping the paint clean and dry to get ready for the next steps...

Oh yeah....

Mike Phillips

Next we learn the importance of taping off things like pint-striping, edges and raised body lines....

This 1964 Sedan Delivery has a good paint job and a fairly new paint job and the painter applied a silver vinyl pinstripe to separate the lower red portion of the truck from the upper white portion of the truck.

To avoid any mistakes for the rest of the machine polishing steps we taped this pinstripe off as well as any raised body lines and panel edges.

Pablo, my detailing friend from Buenos Aires, Argentina was a real asset at this class and it was easy to tell he has a real passion for perfection...

Willis taping off the pin stripe...

Chris aka the Italian Guy taping off the silver pin stripe...

Me taping off the front leading edge of the hood...

The hood has a number of raised body lines in its design and for these we're going to use the 3M Blue Vinyl Tape...

Here's a taping-off tip...
    Pull out a measure of tape about a foot or two long and then use the roll of tape to guide or steer the tape by your other hand as it presses it down.

I also cover this in a video here.

Video: How to tape-off car trim before machine polishing

Here's Joe mirroring what I've done on the passenger side to the driver's side...

Willis taping off and protecting the "new" rubber window molding...

Looking good...

Beautiful...

Here's Jeff taping off the perimeter of the gas cap lid...

Excellent work guys...

Mike Phillips

Time to break out the machines...

For this truck everyone is going to use the Flex 3401 and I brought out a couple of Cyclo Polishers too. First thing I do is show and share the features of this tool.

Next we do a Test Spot using the least aggressive pad and product approach. In this case I'm using a White Hybrid pad with Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover.

I've never worked on this truck before which is another way of saying,

"I've never worked on this PAINT SYSTEM before"

What we found out is the clear coat on this truck is on the hard side.

So I start a new Test Spot in a new section of paint this time changing over to a Orange Hybrid Cutting Pad.

This gave us the defect removal I was looking for for this project. The goal was to let everyone learn how to use the Flex 3401 as a priority and defect removal was second. What I didn't want to do is get too aggressive and have someone make a mistake.

If you look closely to the lower right hand side of the hood you'll see the paint is a BRIGHTER WHITE meaning the paint on this Sedan Delivery is stained with embedded dirt.

Now we inspect for defect removal using the Brinkmann Swirl Finder Light. First we inspect the ugly, that is the before section.

Then we inspect the after section... it's always that order...

After the test spot we have our system dialed-in and proven to produce the results we're looking for and it's time for lunch...

Everyone's hungry and earned their meal...

Next up, the guys go to work...

Post Thanks / Like

Little late but wanted to add my 2 cents. Been considering attending this class for a few years, once my son moved within 40 minutes I decided it was time……..and I am very happy I did, as Mike simplified many processes for me.

My main goal was to understand the entire polishing process as there are so many variables - type and brand polisher plus polish & pad aggressiveness. In addition, polishing time, machine speed and amount pressure, on and on…….

I’ve read about on my own, saw many forum posts (that sometimes confused the issue as many have their own processes and favorite products) but spending a day (and some) learning how to use DA and rotary polishers was key as I was able to see everything up-close and live.

That, in combination with a huge amount of information from Mike both days (in addition, Nick and Ray answering random questions) were all taken in and noted (gotta love iphone Notes). My reactions to everything else shown over the weekend were “oh yeah, never thought of that” or “whew, I am doing that right”.

For those that have been on the fence about attending I highly recommend the class as it certainly provides you with a visual of the whole detailing process, in addition, access to Mike, Nick and Ray for specific questions that have plagued you.

Like to thank Mike, Nick and Ray for spending their weekend with us, I cannot wait till Spring to try everything out!! Also, thanks to Florida as my family enjoyed the sunny mid-70’s weather the 3 days we were there.

Howard

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyhurst27 View Post

Had a great time in class last weekend. Mike Phillips is a good teacher and explains in great detail on getting a car to look great and keeping it that way.

Thanks Jeremy,

It was great having you in class, you really went above and beyond when it came to getting the inside of Tom's Taxi Van Clean and Tom was ecstatic!

Also, the power window switch was broke before the Van arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan View Post

Little late but wanted to add my 2 cents.
    Never too late... thank you for chiming in...

For those that have been on the fence about attending I highly recommend the class as it certainly provides you with a visual of the whole detailing process, in addition, access to Mike, Nick and Ray for specific questions that have plagued you.
    Thank you Howard, I really appreciate your feedback posted to the forum.

Also, thanks to Florida as my family enjoyed the sunny mid-70’s weather the 3 days we were there.

Howard

That's great!

Win/Win for everyone!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast