autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Video: Rotary Buffer - Removing sanding scratches - Full Headlight Correction - Remove Hologram Scratches

Video: Rotary Buffer - Removing sanding scratches - Full Headlight Correction - Remove Hologram Scratches

>click< the picture to launch the video

2. Likes axel06 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Video: Rotary Buffer - Removing sanding scratches - Full Headlight Correction - Remove Hologram Scratches

Comments?

Questions?

Feedback?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Video: Rotary Buffer - Removing sanding scratches - Full Headlight Correction - Remove Hologram Scratches

Nice---i have had good luck with a rotary, med polish and purple wool hybrid foam pad, sand with 2000/3000 first till surface is uniform.
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

First off very cool and it’s nice to see people learning the craft!!
    Awesome that you share your knowledge, Mike.

Personally when I do headlights anymore, I just remove them from the vehicle. Much easier to work on them. Most headlight assemblies remove rather easily. I have a few vices with soft jaws that make it easy for me to hold them while sanding and buffing. Some headlights don’t have clearance to properly sand and buff due to a bumper or whatever in the way.

Just some food for thought for anyone reading in the future that may have an issue doing them on a vehicle..,,
    Jim

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post

Personally when I do headlights anymore, I just remove them from the vehicle. Much easier to work on them. Most headlight assemblies remove rather easily. I have a few vices with soft jaws that make it easy for me to hold them while sanding and buffing.
    Sounds complicated to me. That would make for some good how-to videos for the more common cars though.

Some headlights don’t have clearance to properly sand and buff due to a bumper or whatever in the way.
    Two layers of 3M green masking tape properly applied works pretty good.

Also - the Griot's 3" Mini Polisher as a mini sander even at speed 6 is very easy to control around edges. I also show this for machine sanding close to edges on cars for the same reason. Here's two guys sanding the thin panel behind the hood and before the windshield using the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher.

Final results for the Suburban Wetsanding class here,

Pictures from February 2018 Comp Ready Detailing Class!

Just some food for thought for anyone reading in the future that may have an issue doing them on a vehicle..,,

I'm a pretty good wrench turner but removing headlights looks a tick complicated to me.

How about a video?

Thanks for chiming in...

Post Thanks / Like

Hence why I said “PERSONALLY”

Just offering a different view/approach. I apologize for doing so and hijacking you thread, Mike.

Now back to the regular scheduled programming....
    Jim