autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mike Phillips

Re: Hands-on and pedal to the metal

More pics to come!!!

Tomorrow I’ll be giving the Skills Validation Tests to 3 Detailers for the IDA - International Detailing Association.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Training Cars for January 3-Day Bootcamp Class at Autogeek in Stuart, Florida 2019

To everyone, this January Boot Camp is a bit of history, you should have attended it!

Mike was lucky this year and was able to find some spectacular SIV units for the class (Special Interest Vehicles).

The car from the Flex XC 3401 book cover came back in after a recent minor body work and paint job. It looked great on Mike's cover and now it really shines with a new ceramic coat! I will let Mike give more details on the work my classmates performed on this truly awesome styled car.

If you want to dig deep and gets 'hands-on' experience then you have two more events in 2019 at Autogeek HQ in Stuart, Florida. Nothing wrong with any of the road show training events but getting the chance to try all the tools and mix of products makes the 3-day camp a must event if you enjoy a 'deep dive' into the world of auto detailing.

Plus is make a very memorable gift so drop the hint and make this something for your bucket list.

Happy 2019-Alumni,

Kirby
    Houston, TX

Mike Phillips

Re: Training Cars for January 3-Day Bootcamp Class at Autogeek in Stuart, Florida 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post

To everyone, this January Boot Camp is a bit of history, you should have attended it!

Mike was lucky this year and was able to find some spectacular SIV units for the class (Special Interest Vehicles).
    Thanks for sharing your experience Kirby!

And as I shared in the class, the acronym SIV is an acronym I came up with years ago to describe cars that stand out in a crowded parking lot. The kind of car a person would take a second look at or even veer out of their way to walk over and inspect after parking their own car and heading into a store. If the car is unique enough to do either of these two things then it's probably an Special Interest Vehicle or as I call them, an SIV.

The car from the Flex XC 3401 book cover came back in after a recent minor body work and paint job. It looked great on Mike's cover and now it really shines with a new ceramic coat! I will let Mike give more details on the work my classmates performed on this truly awesome styled car.
    Thanks for the intro to the 1941 Chrysler Business Man's Coupe owned by my buddy Luc Viet. This car has what are called Suicide Doors, that is they open opposite of a normal car. Somehow the passenger door opened while Luc was driving at highway speeds and it damaged the door and the surrounding body panels. My very good friend Paul Grasso at Grasso Garage did the repair work on a Friday, touched-up the flames and then re-cleared 70% of the car to avoid any blend lines. Paul and his team did the wetsand and compounding steps and my class did the final polishing to remove the holograms left by the compounding step and then chemically stripped the paint and applied the GYEON Mohs Ceramic Paint Coating.

And the car looks absolutely GLASSY!

It will also be on display at a huge car show this weekend somewhere in Florida, I'll try to find out which show.

If you want to dig deep and gets 'hands-on' experience then you have two more events in 2019 at Autogeek HQ in Stuart, Florida. Nothing wrong with any of the road show training events but getting the chance to try all the tools and mix of products makes the 3-day camp a must event if you enjoy a 'deep dive' into the world of auto detailing.

Plus is make a very memorable gift so drop the hint and make this something for your bucket list.

Happy 2019-Alumni,

Kirby
    Houston, TX

It was a genuine pleasure to have you at our 3-day class Kirby and also to meet your lovely wife. You are now alumni of our 3-day class but also alumni of our Roadshow Class as you also attended the class at Griot's Garage last summer.

Pictures & Comments - Griot's Garage Roadshow Class - 2018

Hope to see you when we're down in Houston, Texas this year!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pictures & Comments - January 2019 3-Day Detailing Class

I am just about back home from taking this class! This was an awesome experience and was WAY more than I expected! To fully understand, I am going to post my review/ opinion as these pictures do not do justice of what happened at this class. As I am so proud of how these cars came out!

First, I am a hobbyist at auto detailing before I signed up. I did not know what to expect, before signing up I searched for other classes closer to NJ (where I live) and there are some. I found a fairly reviewed class in Ohio, and my Dad knew a guy that gives classes in Virginia (but there is no review on that) and only thing that I kept coming back to was this class.

Next Mike Phillips, for better words, is a legend in auto detailing when you search on information on him. This led to my next concern. Since he was so high profile, I was unsure if he was really going to teach the class or have an assistant do it and he just comes in and say hi. I will tell you, Mike is there 1st thing in the morning and NEVER leaves till the class is finished. The class is supposed to be from about 730 am until 430-5pm. There was not one day that we finished before 6pm!

We only sat at our desks for about 45 minutes each day. 30 minutes for a few things that needs to be explained from a desk area and 15 minute lunch. The rest of the time is all hands on learning. Mike himself demonstrates and teaches all the techniques, not an assistant. Mike walks around to make sure you understand each procedure and shows you if you made a mistake. Even if you did not realize you made a mistake. He does not yell or act superior, he wants you to do everything right! He genuinely cares!

On the cars, we worked on a couple cars that where worth 80K dollars each, some rental cars (nothing wrong with that!), and a few nice muscle cars still worth 30k or so each. You are not working on some rust bucket or just hoods from a junk yard. On these cars you learn proper polishing techniques, how to properly handle a buffer, and how to properly wax a car. This may sound stupid, but I was doing just about everything wrong and do not mind saying it! This is an issue for myself as a hobbyist learning from friends and YouTube. There is a ton of incorrect information out there! It's all internet hearsay.

We got to use multiple tools, about 6 different buffers from short stroke to long stroke units that widely vary in price. We learned ceramic coatings and used several different brands so you can see the differences of how they apply and wipe off. This helps allow you to make the choice as to which products you like to use, and you did not have to buy them! I'm not sure if all classes get to work on 1 stage paint cars (as there getting rarer to find) but we did 2 of them!

Mike also does his best to teach you how to apply your new knowledge in a business setting!

I VERY much enjoyed this class! If I had a chance to do it all again, I would take the class a 2nd time without even having to think about it! The cost comes into play as this class is not cheap. To that comment you need to sit back and think about it, the knowledge you are learning is invaluable and will allow you to get your money back fast! I have not decided if I am going to pursue a business yet or remain a hobbyist, however, I have booked a ceramic coating for my uncles Challenger, a friends cars for paint correction on a C5 Vette, fox body mustang, and a Pontiac G8. This is just from showing them what I learned and seeing the results of the cars we worked on during class! My education is paid for already and the knowledge is now with me forever!

All I can say is THANK YOU Mike!

-Andre

6. Thanks Diner, Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Likes Goonie75, Diner, Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Wow!

Let me say that again....

WOW!

Now that's a great testimony and 100% accurate. Thank you for joining the forum and taking the time to share you experience after taking our 3-day class. I promise these are the best and most hands-on classes on Planet Earth and the proof is in you above testimony.

Most detailing classes are mostly sitting in chairs listening to someone talk while you fall asleep. When you do go out into the garage you either watch the speaker work on a hood or if you're lucky you get to work on a hood. That's not how I teach a class. I bring in the real-deal, that is real cars and you do all the work. The other proof is when you LOOK for pictures from any other class on Planet Earth - they don't exist. There are no pictures of videos showing the class working on cars let alone cool cars. I now have 10 years of pictures JUST here at Autogeek and I have 7 years of pictures of people working on cars at Meguiar's. All everyone else can do now is play catch-up.

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorGT View Post

We only sat at our desks for about 45 minutes each day. 30 minutes for a few things that needs to be explained from a desk area and 15 minute lunch.

The rest of the time is all hands on learning.

Mike himself demonstrates and teaches all the techniques, not an assistant. Mike walks around to make sure you understand each procedure and shows you if you made a mistake. Even if you did not realize you made a mistake. He does not yell or act superior, he wants you to do everything right! He genuinely cares!

-Andre

The above is also accurate. out of the 10+ hours each day in the garage, there are a total of about 30 minutes where you're sitting in a chair where I go over some real basics for each tool or technique we cover and then you're out of your chair working on a car. My classes start at 7:30am SHARP. And in most cases you are out of your chair and working before 8:00am. In fact, I have a video that shows that from this class here,

This is Sunday morning!

>CLICK< on the picture to watch the video.

It was a genuine pleasure having you in the class Andre!

Post Thanks / Like

WOW is right!

That’s a testimony right there! Alright Andre (RaptorGT) good for you buddy & hey, welcome to the forum, stick around yeah?

It been four years since I attended Mikes class (Jan 2015) & I tell you what - if I could’ve ‘copied & pasted’ this testimony I would’ve. Nice one Andre, thank you for sharing you experience with us!

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post

WOW is right!

That’s a testimony right there! Alright Andre (RaptorGT) good for you buddy & hey, welcome to the forum, stick around yeah?

And out of all the people that attended this class only a few were able to figure out how to join a forum, (simple stuff really), and then share their experience.

Hate to say it but forums are dead.

Facebook is such a horrible interface for sharing REAL and SUBSTANTIAL information but anyone with a phone and a thumb can interact.

Sign of the times....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    And out of all the people that attended this class only a few were able to figure out how to join a forum, (simple stuff really), and then share their experience.

Hate to say it but forums are dead.

Facebook is such a horrible interface for sharing REAL and SUBSTANTIAL information but anyone with a phone and a thumb can interact.

Sign of the times....

That is a real shame. The class I can not say enough good things about it. I feel out of respect to you to at least mention a line of how the class was, everyone learned something. Even a few people that had there own company. You did a fantastic job teaching us and ANYTIME someone asks you for an outside recommendation you are always welcome to send them my way!

I know I have said nothing but positive things on your class and not to sound like a "teachers pet" (hahaha) but your class will change my life on how I make money. If I do not go into detailing as a full time job I have the skills now and can work on experience and do a quality job and can do it on the weekends as part time work. But at the same time when I get some experience and can show multiple cars I can do it as my full time work. You gave us the skills and is up to us on what to do with them next!

For the record I hate Facebook! I hate how you post, have to go through comments etc. Forums are way more productive to share information.

Andre

11. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Mike Phillips

That is a real shame. The class I can not say enough good things about it. I feel out of respect to you to at least mention a line of how the class was, everyone learned something. Even a few people that had there own company.
    It's been harder and hard to get people that attend our classes to share their experience. Not sure why? Busy is kind of a lame excuse... we're all busy.

You did a fantastic job teaching us and ANYTIME someone asks you for an outside recommendation you are always welcome to send them my way!
    I'll take you up on that offer.

I know I have said nothing but positive things on your class and not to sound like a "teachers pet" (hahaha) but your class will change my life on how I make money.

If I do not go into detailing as a full time job I have the skills now and can work on experience and do a quality job and can do it on the weekends as part time work. But at the same time when I get some experience and can show multiple cars I can do it as my full time work. You gave us the skills and is up to us on what to do with them next!
    Copy that.... I promised everyone that after taking the class they would have a STRONG foundation to build on and I kept my promise. Now it's up to each person to continue along their journey.

For the record I hate Facebook!

I hate how you post, have to go through comments etc. Forums are way more productive to share information.

Andre

Copy that. I get that Facebook is easier if you have a phone and a thumb but that's another way of saying it's a dumbed down version of a forum.

Thanks Andre

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123