autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pictures & Comments May 2018 3-Day Detailing Class at Autogeek with Mike Phillips

Many thanks to Mike Phillips,Andre Hile and Autogeek team for the dedicated 3 days detailing training.

Until this training i haven't touched even the simplest tool concerning detailing.I wanted but i was afraid.

For those three days Mike shared with us his knowledge and his expertise and how to use easily variety of tools from different brands.The point was that everybody was able to choose the brand and the model that fit his own preference and style.

He taught us the right way from A to Z ho to accomplish a show car finish.

Not lastly i would like to say thank you to each and everyone from our class and wish them all the best in their endeavors.

Now i can say that i am confident and ready to jump into detailing world.

Thank you Mike!!!

Dimi

2. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Pictures & Comments May 2018 3-Day Detailing Class at Autogeek with Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Di Oro View Post

Until this training i haven't touched even the simplest tool concerning detailing. I wanted but i was afraid.

For those three days Mike shared with us his knowledge and his expertise and how to use easily variety of tools from different brands. The point was that everybody was able to choose the brand and the model that fit his own preference and style.

He taught us the right way from A to Z ho to accomplish a show car finish.

Thank you Dimi for your trust in both my name and the Autogeek name. It was a genuine pleasure having you in the class and hearing your story and why you chose to take the class. We all wish you continued success both in Canada and in Bulgeria!

Not lastly i would like to say thank you to each and everyone from our class and wish them all the best in their endeavors.
    Our classes ALWAYS attract high caliber people and the benefit to this is often times you make life-long friends via the time you spend in class.

Now i can say that i am confident and ready to jump into detailing world.

Thank you Mike!!!

Dimi

I'm confident you're going to do great things!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What an awesome class!

I first became aware of the detailing class last year after I was browsing around the autogeek website and random facebook posts. I wanted to take the class as way to assess and improve skills while working on my personal car and working on my work airplanes.

It took me until April of this year to finally pull the trigger and pay for the class. I am so glad I did. Not only did the class cement in my brain what I had taught myself was correct but also helped to establish new techniques for working with paints and clear coats.

Although the price tag for the class looks high, there is huge value in what you get for the class. I was impressed with the quantities of chemicals and equipment we had at our disposal. You would probably spend three times as much as the class if you had to buy everything we used just to try them out.

I appreciated the hands on aspect of the class. Bookwork and lecture bore me to no end, so getting out there and just doing it was a great benefit to me.

Also the number of cars and different types of paints on these cars went well beyond my expectation. Among many wants, I always wanted to work a single stage paint, and I got that chance.

I also enjoyed the variety of people that were taking the class. They all had their reasons for being there and all had different skill levels. I hope we all took away something from each other and the class.

If anyone is on the fence about attending this class. Don't hesitate, do it. It is so worth the money.

Last but not least, Mike, it is very obvious you are passionate about what you do. It shows in your teaching and your patience when working with all different skill levels of individuals of your class. I appreciate your skills and your teaching method and it is awesome that you are willing to dedicate your time to teach others your trade.

Thank you so much.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixdan View Post

What an awesome class!

I first became aware of the detailing class last year after I was browsing around the autogeek website and random facebook posts. I wanted to take the class as way to assess and improve skills while working on my personal car and working on my work airplanes.

It took me until April of this year to finally pull the trigger and pay for the class. I am so glad I did. Not only did the class cement in my brain what I had taught myself was correct but also helped to establish new techniques for working with paints and clear coats.

Although the price tag for the class looks high, there is huge value in what you get for the class. I was impressed with the quantities of chemicals and equipment we had at our disposal. You would probably spend three times as much as the class if you had to buy everything we used just to try them out.

I appreciated the hands on aspect of the class. Bookwork and lecture bore me to no end, so getting out there and just doing it was a great benefit to me.

Also the number of cars and different types of paints on these cars went well beyond my expectation. Among many wants, I always wanted to work a single stage paint, and I got that chance.

I also enjoyed the variety of people that were taking the class. They all had their reasons for being there and all had different skill levels. I hope we all took away something from each other and the class.

If anyone is on the fence about attending this class. Don't hesitate, do it. It is so worth the money.

Last but not least, Mike, it is very obvious you are passionate about what you do. It shows in your teaching and your patience when working with all different skill levels of individuals of your class. I appreciate your skills and your teaching method and it is awesome that you are willing to dedicate your time to teach others your trade.

Thank you so much.

Hi Dan,

Thank you so much for doing your due diligence by researching our classes and then pulling the trigger and signing up.

I appreciate your trust in the Autogeek name and my name as well. It was a genuine pleasure working with you over the course of the 3 days and I'm really happy to read this part...

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixdan View Post

I remember when we started Friday morning, I told the class that usually we wade through about 20 power point presentations filled with tons a great "stuff" but in order to get through all the tools and all the topics and all the techniques we were going to skip out on the Power Point first thing Friday morning and get right outside and start washing cars mostly so we could get the canvas top on the Corvette correctly washed so it could dry so later that day we could apply the RaggTopp Canvas Protectant and that's exactly what we did.

AND... after washing cars we did NOT go back to sitting we just kept going. Other classes can advertise they are hands-on but I can prove it.

Here we are outside getting ready to wash 4 cars.

The time stamp on this picture is 7:03

(my camera settings are off and behind by one hour when the class took place)

As normal, we started the class at 7:30am sharp. That means after 30 minutes of introductions and sharing how the 3-day class would lay out, at 8:00am we were out of our chairs and working.

Again Dan - Thank for attending the class and if there is anything I can ever do to help you just let me know.

Mike Phillips

It's been 2 weeks since the class took place and my other job duties have kept me from getting to the class pictures. Today I carved out some time after Dan's post and here's some pictures showing the first thing we did on Friday morning starting at 8:00am.

In all my classes I do my best to have at least one car with a VINYL top and at least one car with a CANVAS top. This way we can go over the correct and safe way to clean and protect vinyl and canvas tops. And while I would much prefer to start inside the air conditioned garage with a waterless wash, in order to apply the RaggTopp Canvas Top Protectant the top must be CLEAN and DRY. This means starting out with washing the car with the canvas top and while we have the water hoses out and hooked up we might as well kill as many birds with one stone as possible.

The above all said, here's the Class of May 2018 getting some sun as we washed 4 cars out of the 15 cars we worked on in 3 days.

In the pictures below you're going to see,

• Chemical decontamination with SONAX Fallout Remover
    • Mechanical decontamination with Blackfire Clay Mitts and Nanoskin Towels and Mitts
    • Foam Gun Washing
    • RaggTopp Canvas Cleaner with the RaggTopp/Haartz Convertible Top Brush
    • Vinyl Top cleaning with 303 Aerospace Multi-Surface Cleaner
    • Machine scrubbing vinyl tops with Griot's 6" Random Orbital Polishers and Cyclo Brushes

Me going over the order of steps for the first four cars we're going to wash - all are very special cars so we all need to be careful.

Below is John spraying down the back of the car with SONAX Fallout Remover

Below is Jamie on one side an Daniel on the other side spraying down the classic, 40,000 mile Buick Electra with SONAX Fallout Remover

Below I see Rithson, Ray, Aimee, Rich and Dimi spraying down the 1966 Impala and the 2001 Corvette with SONAX Fallout Remover

Jose up front, Cody and Rithson on the passenger side and Ray on the driver's side...

That's Luis in the very back...

Below is Demetrius spraying down the front of the Vette

Here's Liz using the RaggTopp/Haartz Convertible Top Brush - the CORRECT Brush to use on canvas

Here's Jose and Daniel MACHING SCRUBBING the original vinyl top on the 1971 Buick Electra

Luis and Rich scrubbing the vinyl top on the 1966 Impala

Down in front is Ivan (I think) rinsing a brush after using it. We just made a video about this and I teach the importance of this in my classes.

NOW LOOK CAREFULLY.

Rich is rinsing off the BLACK vinyl top but what color is the water coming off and going down the windshield?

It's red. This means the SONAX Fallout Cleaner FOUND and DISSOVED Iron contamination on the VINYL TOP.

Here's Cody rinsing the canvas top. When you wash canvas thoroughly like we did it gets very wet and it needs time to thoroughly dry before you can apply the RaggTopp Canvas Protectant.

NEXT - Foam Gun Washing

When is the last time you used a foam gun to wash a 1966 Chevy Impala Convertible?

Where is the last time you saw pictures from any detailing class on Planet Earth where the students worked on such cool cars?

NEXT - After washing AND THEN RINSING - the cars were foamed again and then rubbed down with clay mitts and clay towels to mechanically decontaminate the paint.

And I can guarantee you.... these cars are spotlessly and surgically CLEAN and that's exactly how you want a car before you start any machine polishing.

Lots of hands-on first thing Friday morning using all kinds of tools and products plus what you don't see are the specific tips and techniques I go over as we go through all the different washing and cleaing steps.

Next class is in September. It always sells out.

Click here to sign-up for the September 2018 Class

Mike Phillips

Ding dang.....

Tried so hard to get to processing the pictures from this class all week and just couldn't do it. Here's one though that I used for the review I wrote for the new Speed Master Rolling Detailer's Cart (or stool)

Here's the class doing a multiple step paint correction process to a 1966 Chevy Impala and a 1971 Chevelle - both with basecoat/clearcoat paint jobs, (like the Ford or Honda in your garage or driveway)

If you look at the screens in most of the pictures I post for the classes here's what you'll see...

And the pictures back it up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123