autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pictures from February 2018 Comp Ready Detailing Class!

Nice��

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wet sanding wasn't the most fun, but it's good to know how and when to do it!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JY3722 View Post

Wet sanding wasn't the most fun, but it's good to know how and when to do it!
    Exactly.

I have always said that guys (typically guys but we had 3 ladies in this class) always want to learn HOW and WHY and WHEN to wetsand but after they learn 99% will never want to do it again or on their own.

After taking this class you now know exactly what’s involved and can speak intelligently about the topic in a group of Alpha Males and even better - tell who knows squat about it.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to admit it but I really enjoyed wet sanding and then using the wool pad. That was only my second time but I was able to make progress. The first time I left deep lines and sanded to close to body edges and areas that only someone like Mike Phillips could buff out safely. This time I was left wanting to do it again.

I also have difficulty staying awake in classroom types of training. I never had a chance to fall asleep during Mikes class. The Competition Ready Class was a pleasure to attend because of the all hands on deck type of learning. I watched students who had never touched a polisher or detailed a car learn so much that it was hard to believe.

This was not a class on theory it was soap,water,clay,compound,polish, and tools in your hands. This class can teach anyone how to do it for work or hobby.

Thank you Mike for making the class so enjoyable.

5. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the updates on the class Mike.

Another action packed class & as is the norm with your classes - an extraordinary line up of machinery for the class to learn on. The results are stunning too, & clearly the wet sanding/buffing out went very well indeed! Mike must be stoked with the results.

Congratulations on another fantastic class, I loved watching the live feeds via Facebook, everyone getting plenty, PLENTY of hands on experience with what has to be the finest range of detailing tools in any class anywhere on the planet.

Brilliant.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by wing commander View Post

I hate to admit it but I really enjoyed wet sanding and then using the wool pad. That was only my second time but I was able to make progress. The first time I left deep lines and sanded to close to body edges and areas that only someone like Mike Phillips could buff out safely. This time I was left wanting to do it again.

If any segment of the craft of polishing paint is truly a learned skill over time it's hand sanding. And as we discussed in the class, it's the sandpaper, or in our case the finishing paper that is the foundational step that determines all the rest of the steps and the time required as well as the end results.

With machine sanding, of course you have to be very careful - but it requires a lot less skill to hold a polisher and guide it over a section of paint than the skill required to hold a backing pad and methodically sand a panel flat.

No one will ever become an expert after taking one class and sanding and buffing one car, the goal is to provide real world, hands-on time doing the process plus all the info shared that gives everyone experience and knowledge. After the class, if anyone is in a position to wetsand a car or even just a spot repair, they will first understand what's involved and the tools needed and more important, the process from start to finish.

I also have difficulty staying awake in classroom types of training. I never had a chance to fall asleep during Mikes class. The Competition Ready Class was a pleasure to attend because of the all hands on deck type of learning. I watched students who had never touched a polisher or detailed a car learn so much that it was hard to believe.
    Thank you for sharing this observation. I "talk" or "type" about it on the forum but only someone that's been through the class and seen just how empty the seats are during the course of the 3 days would fully understand exactly what the "talk" means.

This was not a class on theory it was soap, water, clay, compound, polish, and tools in your hands. This class can teach anyone how to do it for work or hobby.
    Another keen observation. I know some that teach classes prefer to separate the beginners from the experienced and both they and I can make a case for why this would be the best approach. But we only hold these classes 3 times a year and I want anyone that has done their research into detailing classes and after having done their research have chose one of our classes to attend to go ahead and attend no matter what the skill and experience level.

What I do, and have been doing all my life when teaching classes like this is to teach all levels of skill and experience and from the feedback we've received over the years, it is a style that works and that means success for everyone.

Thank you Mike for making the class so enjoyable.

Thank you for attending and sharing your experience on our forum. This means a lot to me and I hope others in the class will take the small amount of time required, (as compared to the time they spent on their feet in the class), to join the forum and post their feedback like you have done and/or share their feedback in an e-mail to me and I'll post it for them.

Honest testimonies like yours are incredibly valuable to all the lurkers that read our forum researching our classes and trying to make the decision to attend our class or cross their fingers they make the right choice and attend some other class.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

When are you gonna upload the pictures of us working on the cars? I attended the class and was hoping to see some of me to post to my website!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Shoemaker23 View Post

When are you gonna upload the pictures of us working on the cars?

I attended the class and was hoping to see some of me to post to my website!

I'll try to get more up today and next week. Just to note, most people have zero idea how long it takes to,

• Go through ALL the pictures and pick out the pictures that are in focus, have good light and "tell a story".

• Rename each file to make insertion a hell of a lot faster.

• Crop out the fluff - this means crop out the outer portions that are usually things like the walls.

• Resize GARGANTUAN pictures to a size that will fit universally on all electronic devices which is 800 pixels wide.

• Upload to the gallery where they won't disappear over time like so many other people's pictures disappear.

• Insert into a post and add words to create a thread that has value over time.

So yeah... I will get some up today.

Question for you? You attended this class and have 2 posts. I checked both. Neither share your experience about the class. How about sharing in this thread, what you though of the three day class? You were able to work on some AMAZING cars. You were able to use all the cool tools everyone else just gets to read about.

Heck you were able to hand wetsand and then machine wetsand some other guy's bitchin streetrod.

I'll get some pictures up today and if you could, type out your experience for the class so others that read it and "wonder" if the class is "worth it" will get the feedback from someone that has actually taken the class.

I would really appreciate it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So glad I got the opportunity to attend this class!

Mike is one of the best detailers in the world and knows his stuff. Also, he is probably the best detailing teacher in the world. I went into that class thinking i already knew a lot about paint correction, ha.... I was wrong!

You learn everything you need to know in this class in order to be a professional detailer and be the best in your area!

Most hands-on class in the country! Worth every penny!

Would recommend to anyone wanting to learn the art of paint correction!

And can’t forget about his right hand man Andre! Two top guys!

Thanks for everything Mike!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Shoemaker23 View Post
    So glad I got the opportunity to attend this class!

Mike is one of the best detailers in the world and knows his stuff. Also, he is probably the best detailing teacher in the world. I went into that class thinking i already knew a lot about paint correction, ha.... I was wrong!

You learn everything you need to know in this class in order to be a professional detailer and be the best in your area!

Most hands-on class in the country! Worth every penny!

Would recommend to anyone wanting to learn the art of paint correction!

And can’t forget about his right hand man Andre! Two top guys!

Thanks for everything Mike!

Thank you for your feedback on this class, you know I appreciate it.

I'm sorry to say I didn't get to adding any pictures to this thread today, (Friday, May 11th), as we had a special guest, Jim Lefeber from Dr. Beasley's and we ended up shooting a video in the garage, then a couple of meetings.

I also processed 8 people that took the IDA SV testing here last Monday and about the only thing I'm s-l-o-w at is working in Excel and that's what I had to work in today. Ugh...

But rest assured, your class and especially all the cool cars you and the rest of the team are important to me to share and I will get the pictures up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast