autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: Pictures & Comments - May 2017 Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Class with Mike Phillips

Continued...

It's Wednesday night as I type, played catch-up all day today after being offline for 7 days for this class. Takes a while to make pictures magically appear on a forum. Andre did a SUPER job of taking pictures. When I unloaded the memory card there were

1,479 pictures

and that's just on one of the company's cameras. I still have the company camera I use and my cell phone pictures.

Anyway, I'll be going through the pictures and documenting this class as I'm pretty much the only guy that teaches car detailing classes and also documents the before, during and after for the class and the cars.

Here's one picture taken AFTER my class did a show car makeover to the 1930 Model A and the 1966 Mustang. You can't see the Model A in this picture as my students are blocking it.

More to come...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pictures & Comments - May 2017 Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Class with Mike Phillips

My husband and I decided to take this class to be able to take care of our car collection. We are car enthusiasts just striving to take our show cars to the next level. Whether you are a hobbyist or professional, you will learn something from this class. However, I will say it is 3 days of non-stop work because detailing cars is hard work. By the end of the day, you will be tired. This class is about learning, helping others, working together as a team, and getting experience you can use in the real world.

Mike has 30 plus years of experience. He is willing to teach and share if you want to learn. He welcomed everyone as we had come from all over the country and a few were from outside the United States. Everyone was so polite and helpful over the course of the class. Mike is willing to accommodate you in any way he can. You will get lunch all 3 days and supper the first evening. Before the class, I knew a few meals would be an issue for me. I checked in ahead of time as I would have brought something if needed. Mike went out of his way to make sure I had something that would be suitable for me. This may seem minor, but this is the type of person he is. It didn't matter if it was a tool, product, question, or concern he made sure it was addressed at that time. Maybe it was something on a vehicle you were scared to tackle he came over and helped you personally. He would go out of his way to make sure you were satisfied. That says a lot in itself. He has a passion for the cars as well as the people involved with them.

Before you ever play with the tools he goes over washing and decontaminating paint as well as the reasons behind each step. If you understand why you should do something it makes you more compliant to do it. He will teach you things you probably never thought about, but it all make sense. You will learn quickly all about the baggy test, which helps you asses the current condition of the paint. Once you have an idea of what you are working with, you can decide on which way you want to wash and decontaminate the vehicle. In case you didn’t know, there are several different ways to wash and decontaminate a vehicle. You take all this into account before you ever begin.

Throughout the course, Mike will explain the history of things whether it is tools or processes so you can better understand and appreciate what we have today. He also has tons of articles and several books you can reference if you so choose to at a later time. If you have a question chances are he has an article on that already.

This class allows you to try out most of the polishers on the market as well as numerous products. Mike will not ever tell you what polisher to buy because as he said “spend enough time with the tool and you can make it dance on paint”. It doesn’t matter what tool you pick as long as it has enough power, you use the right pads with the correct products you can master any job.

Paint correction is big part of the class though there are many more topics covered. We learned how to polish glass, wet sand both by hand and machine, ceramic coat, correct headlights several different ways, clean interiors with both carpet extractors and steam cleaners, clean and protect both cloth or vinyl convertible tops, proper cleaning and conditioning of leather, and engine cleaning and dressing.

We worked on old and new so the class is well versed. You can practice on single stage paint as well as base coat/clear coat systems. Basically no matter the condition of the paint, Mike says “you can take it to its maximum potential” whatever that might be. For instance, one of the older trucks we worked on had very little paint left so we did the “Scuff and Buff Method” to make it the best it could be without a new paint job.

If you are going to be dealing with customers, he goes over how to address the customer. First is it a show car or production detail? Let the customer guide you either way. Ask them what is most important to them? Make sure you attempt to take care of that as that is what they are going to look for when they pick the vehicle up. ”Under promise and over deliver” is Mike’s motto. If it is a show car let them know the time involved depending what their expectations are. If the project is unrealistic you can always turn down the work or send them to another place if that would fit them better. In the end, you get what you pay for. Educate the customer to some extent. Let them know you are knowledgeable by explaining the process, products, and/or process you will be using to achieve the desired outcome.

Mike always says before starting any project "take a snapshot in your mind for later reference." All of the 13 cars we did came out amazing. However, two in particular stood out to me as the biggest transformations. I believe one was a 2011 Buick Regal. The owner had paid 139 dollars for a detail. I am not sure what they detailed, but the car was hacked from front to back. It was awful. I think someone who never used a buffer would have done a better job. We weren't sure how well it would come out as this was production detail and not show car detail. Another of Mike's quotes is "the big picture." Take a little extra time and compound the hood, top, and truck. The rest you can use one step on. We brought this car back from the dead. The best part was when the owner came to pick it up they didn't believe it was the same car. A happy customer is money in your future. Whether it's future business or a referral to a friend it's that "one guy you needed to have trust in you." Now there is proof you know what you are doing and word spreads fast.

The other car was the 72 road runner. This car was hologrammed out terribly. We learned about how to correct several things including this. This car had lots of learning points, which Mike pointed out before we began. (Watch out for this, tape over that, ect.) The owner was pleased when he picked it up.

It was really nice to meet most of the owners of the cars we worked on and see their reaction to how their cars came out. Most were blown away and thanked us. It was a learning experience, but at the same time rewarding. Not many places do you get a package like that. However, Mike offers it right here in his class.

We learned how to correct several things to the point you are walking around inspecting cars as you pass them in the parking lot. This could use some compound, a polish, or maybe it needs the works. You can pretty much tell by looking at it. That is what this class will give you. It gives you not only practice, but the knowledge. Knowledge is power!

I know Mike has tons of pictures to post, but I will post a link to a few we took. We didn't stop to constantly take pictures as we were on a mission to finish a project as well as get all we could out of the class. https://m.facebook.com/jaeda.goodwin...?ref=bookmarks

I can guarantee when you finish this class you will have the confidence to tackle anything. However, remember you can always say no if something doesn’t seem right. I would love to come back and help with future classes or even be on the show because there is so much more to learn. This is one of those things you get better every time you do it. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have about the class. My email is bullitt1939@att.net.

This class was money well spent for us. We came home and tackled a car we have been scared to touch for years because the paint was so expensive to fix. It came out amazing. I don't ever remember this car being this slick. When I went to cover it, the cover wanted to slide off because it was so smooth. Here is a link to one of our own cars we tackled after the class: https://m.facebook.com/jaeda.goodwin...?ref=bookmarks. We enjoyed the class and the knowledge Mike has to offer. We are planning to return to take his boat class in February! As we have several boats as well, but one in particular my dad left me is in need of some love. I received it this way and want to learn the proper way to restore it to its glory!

Lastly, I want to give a special thanks to Mike, Andrea, Alex, the special guest from Lake Country Pads David and Don, Jason from Sonax, and all the people who took part at Autogeek. This class is one of a kind. As Mike says “Keep on Shining!"

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by bullitt1939 View Post

My husband and I decided to take this class to be able to take care of our car collection.

Wow! Now that's what I call a testimony!

It was a genuine pleasure to have both you and your husband Patrick in this class. I know I pushed everyone hard to detail 16 cars in 3 days but the hands-on experience, the skills and knowledge everyone gained will last everyone a life-time.

Looking forward to having you back for the boat detailing class in February. I'll get the dates for next year's boat class confirmed and then create an announcement thread on the forum and also share on my Facebook page.

Thank you so much for taking the time to type out your experience, it is greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

bullitt1939,

Nice! What a great testimony indeed, a great read whilst having my brekky on Saturday morning. I'm pleased you both enjoyed the class & took home bags of knowledge & the confidence to put it into practice. Thats what its all about, & Mike does his absolute darnedest every other day to help anyone if the have some further questions. Then there's US, the Autogeek Online Forum members - tonnes of knowledgeable people here willing to lend a hand.

Fantastic testimony, thank you for sharing.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Holy cow A+++, Bravo!!! Awesome testimonial

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't really top what Jaeda wrote, but I just wanted to share my thoughts on our class.

First of all, Mike is a great guy and his enthusiasm is infectious. He wants everybody to succeed and it is clear that he really has a heart for teaching.

The class gave me the confidence to tackle my '74 Triumph TR6 that needs some sanding and a lot of TLC. A mobile detail business is in my future and I can't wait to put what I've learned to make money.

The people that we trained with were really the best part as they all love cars, want to learn and were willing to share their knowledge. Jason from SONAX was a real asset to the class and helped me out a lot with his expertise. The SONAX line was really impressive and can't wait to put Cutmax and Polymer Net Shield to work on my cars.

I look forward to coming back and taking the class again we learned so much. Catching those monster bass at the Marriott pond was a great part of the weekend as well. It should really be featured prominently on the website.

Cheers,

Steve Mitchell

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by NavyP-3 View Post

I look forward to coming back and taking the class again we learned so much. Catching those monster bass at the Marriott pond was a great part of the weekend as well. It should really be featured prominently on the website.

Cheers,

Steve Mitchell

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the nice review, it's much appreciated.

And don't think I forgot about the fishing expedition, I've just been so busy with the TV show and all the other hats I wear during the course of a normal week.

For Steve and everyone else, here's our fishing story...

Steve the Fly Fisherman

Right down the road from Autogeek is the Courtyard by Marriott Stuart.

Right next to the Courtyard by Marriott is a large pond that is chock full of LUNKERS!

During the three day class, on Saturday night after the second day of the class, we meet at the Courtyard by Marriott Stuart for what I call a,

Meet & Greet

They have pretty good food, a full bar and it's in a very relaxing atmosphere and of course, it's right next to Autogeek. Most of my students are already staying there while attending my class so it works out really well.

At my last class, one of my students "Steve" was at the Meet & Greet and he told us how is hobby is Fly Fishing. He said he was packing all his gear because the Monday after the class he was going fishing with a buddy here in the Stuart area.

I told him right outside the hotel there's a pond FULL of FISH!

He instantly went up to his room, grabbed his Fly Pole and his fishing gear and in 5 minutes it was...

Fish on!

So if you're attending one of our Competition Ready 3-day detailing classes in the future and you love to fish... bring your pole!

Click link for info about our classes here in Stuart, Florida

Mike Phillips Competition Ready Detailing Classes in Stuart, Florida

Post Thanks / Like

This was a great class!

I had been looking forward to taking this class for quite a while but my work interfered with my plans. It is amazing the back ground of the students in the class, from the totally new to quite experienced, everyone worked togeter. I really enjoyed meeting everyone. This was a great learning opportunity for me. I already have a Flex 3401VRG and PE8, Griot 3", and PC7424XP so this was a good chance to try out the many buffers that are talked about in the forum.

The PE14 is the buffer that gave me the most trouble but Mike was quick to show me how to operate it properly. I think I will need a little more practice with a large rotary!

The class room had everything prepared for us each day and was well laid out. Mike and Andre did a heck of a job with everything. Other than having our product experts, Dave and Don of Lake Country Pads and Jason from Sonax helping and giving us assistance as needed, a person that helped keep us going was Axel. He was the official towel boy! He made sure we always had towels for each project we worked on.

All the cars we worked with were great. Mike finds some super cars for these training classes. Can't top the great writings of Jaeda of how this experience was. If anyone is sitting on the fence about taking this class I say "better sign up now".

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Guyb View Post

This was a great class!

I had been looking forward to taking this class for quite a while but my work interfered with my plans. It is amazing the back ground of the students in the class, from the totally new to quite experienced, everyone worked togeter. I really enjoyed meeting everyone. This was a great learning opportunity for me. I already have a Flex 3401VRG and PE8, Griot 3", and PC7424XP so this was a good chance to try out the many buffers that are talked about in the forum.

The PE14 is the buffer that gave me the most trouble but Mike was quick to show me how to operate it properly. I think I will need a little more practice with a large rotary!

The class room had everything prepared for us each day and was well laid out. Mike and Andre did a heck of a job with everything. Other than having our product experts, Dave and Don of Lake Country Pads and Jason from Sonax helping and giving us assistance as needed, a person that helped keep us going was Axel. He was the official towel boy! He made sure we always had towels for each project we worked on.

All the cars we worked with were great. Mike finds some super cars for these training classes. Can't top the great writings of Jaeda of how this experience was. If anyone is sitting on the fence about taking this class I say "better sign up now".

Hi Guy,

It was really nice that you were finally able to clear your schedule and attend this class. All our classes have super high caliber people and amazing cars to work on and this class was no exception. I'm also happy to have you as an active member of our forum.

Testimonies from our active forum members are powerful for those thinking about attending a class but not sure. So thank you for sharing your feedback with the rest of our forum community and the thousands of lurkers that visit AutogeekOnline.net every day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Wow! Now that's what I call a testimony!

It was a genuine pleasure to have both you and your husband Patrick in this class. I know I pushed everyone hard to detail 16 cars in 3 days but the hands-on experience, the skills and knowledge everyone gained will last everyone a life-time.

Looking forward to having you back for the boat detailing class in February. I'll get the dates for next year's boat class confirmed and then create an announcement thread on the forum and also share on my Facebook page.

Thank you so much for taking the time to type out your experience, it is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post
    bullitt1939,

Nice! What a great testimony indeed, a great read whilst having my brekky on Saturday morning. I'm pleased you both enjoyed the class & took home bags of knowledge & the confidence to put it into practice. Thats what its all about, & Mike does his absolute darnedest every other day to help anyone if the have some further questions. Then there's US, the Autogeek Online Forum members - tonnes of knowledgeable people here willing to lend a hand.

Fantastic testimony, thank you for sharing.

Aaryn NZ.
    Quote Originally Posted by axel06 View Post
    Holy cow A+++, Bravo!!! Awesome testimonial
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyP-3 View Post
    I can't really top what Jaeda wrote, but I just wanted to share my thoughts on our class.

First of all, Mike is a great guy and his enthusiasm is infectious. He wants everybody to succeed and it is clear that he really has a heart for teaching.

The class gave me the confidence to tackle my '74 Triumph TR6 that needs some sanding and a lot of TLC. A mobile detail business is in my future and I can't wait to put what I've learned to make money.

The people that we trained with were really the best part as they all love cars, want to learn and were willing to share their knowledge. Jason from SONAX was a real asset to the class and helped me out a lot with his expertise. The SONAX line was really impressive and can't wait to put Cutmax and Polymer Net Shield to work on my cars.

Cheers,

Steve Mitchell
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyb View Post
    This was a great class!

Thanks for all the compliments on my review. I also mentioned we did 13 vehicles, but I was mistaken it was a total of 16. I am not a writer by any means, but I tried to sum up the class as best I could. As I was typing this up I would think of something else. I know I probably left some things out, but I hit on the big picture. Bottom line is if you are on the fence about taking the class do it. You will not regret the experience and you will meet some great people at the same time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12