autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pictures & Comments from the February 2017 Competition Ready Detailing Class!

Mike thanks again for your knowledge and passion about detailing. It really comes across in your teaching style.

During the three day class we detailed 15 cars with different product systems , Griots, Flex, Rupes, etc.. Where are you going to find another class that uses multiple machines and products on real vehicles.

No Where!

We learned all aspects of detailing including wet sanding, extraction, steam cleaning, engine detailing, paint correction, applying coatings. You name it we did it. Mike was there every step of the way showing the proper technique.

What separates this class is after you are shown the technique you get to apply that knowledge and work on real cars not some test hood.

Mike also shares his personal experience on building your own business. So hands on training from the top teacher in the country and business consulting as well.

I highly recommend this class to experienced detailers and novices as well. You will learn how to start a business or grow the one you have, not to mention the expert instruction. A truly wonderful experience and the great Florida location is an added bonus.

Mike keep up the great work and the class is worth every penny.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pictures & Comments from the February 2017 Competition Ready Detailing Class!

Hi Mike and everyone who enjoy this class with me.
    It was a wonderful time. A lot of knowledge, tools, products and passion....and work
    I just would like to say thank You for everybody who enjoy this class and for You Mike for great time and great experience.
    Mike, Thank You for everything. I learn a lot... but this class shows me how much I still need to learn.
    once again, thank You for everything
    PS. Mike, see You on Detail Fast!!!
    Daniel from Poland

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Fellow Autogeekites!

I had a great time!

The big thing for me was that everything that I've seen and read on the forum in the past couple of years became alive and real once I got there in class.

It is one thing to see something in print and it is another thing to see in practice. It is the "human element" that pulls
    everything together. Mike was the central element that pulled all the various techniques/products/tools/concepts together in so many different ways that my head was spinning by the end of each day!

The instruction delivery was smooth, pleasant and entertaining! Mike is an excellent teacher! The class was fast paced and in a strange way, an energy booster! (I was afraid that I would crash in the middle of the day) but not in this class! Never a dull moment!

If one is to go, make sure you take good notes or better yet, photos of each process used on each car. I wished I did a better job documenting the information for future reference.

In closing, I want to extend a deep, heartfelt "Thank You!" to the Autogeek organization, to Mike and to Meghan for making this experience accessible to me. Without a sign language interpreter, I wouldn't been able to connect, to learn, and to participate in class.

And as for my classmates, you guys rock! I've enjoyed working with you all!

Thomas Quinn
    Germantown, Maryland

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Teamwenz View Post

Mike thanks again for your knowledge and passion about detailing. It really comes across in your teaching style.

During the three day class we detailed 15 cars with different product systems , Griots, Flex, Rupes, etc.. Where are you going to find another class that uses multiple machines and products on real vehicles.

No Where!

We learned all aspects of detailing including wet sanding, extraction, steam cleaning, engine detailing, paint correction, applying coatings. You name it we did it. Mike was there every step of the way showing the proper technique.

What separates this class is after you are shown the technique you get to apply that knowledge and work on real cars not some test hood.

Mike also shares his personal experience on building your own business. So hands on training from the top teacher in the country and business consulting as well.

I highly recommend this class to experienced detailers and novices as well. You will learn how to start a business or grow the one you have, not to mention the expert instruction. A truly wonderful experience and the great Florida location is an added bonus.

Mike keep up the great work and the class is worth every penny.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

I've been so busy with shooting new TV episodes and doing the logistics behind shooting the upcoming Detail Fest episode that I have not been able to add more pictures from this class but I will - I promise!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike thanks so much for the awesome class.

The competition-ready detailing classes the best tool I have added to my skill-set. I am a do-it-yourselfer. We have a few Vehicles which are in need of special attention.

Mike's class was amazing! Best of all that it was completely Hands-On. We learned to clean every part of a vehicle which is critical in detailing. We did everything from aggressive washing cars, wheels and prep, waterless wash, rinseless wash, chemical decontamination, clay, Nanoskins, Nanoskin pads by machine and foam wash gun washing.

Mike covered drying techniques and use of appropriate towels, brushes or applicators. We learned all kinds of abrasive technology, how to determine what to use and how to apply.

The tools we use were impressive. We used almost every size dual action polisher and rotary buffers.

The pad technology that goes with the polishers is a science in itself. Then add in the dozens of product we used, the processes and techniques, most impressive!

We covered convertible and vinyl tops, coupes and full-size trucks and even a Nomad now that's a lot of car!

I can't forget interiors, engine cleaning, headlights, windshield and window polishing and cleaning. You name it I think we covered it all.

I really enjoyed the opportunity to work on the amazing vehicles that Mike provided for the class.

What an experience!

Sincerely,

Nancy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    ***Surprise***

I may have a surprise car coming in if it gets out of the exhaust shop in time... and I'll bet NO ONE can guess what it is....

If someone does guess what it is.... I will send them an Autogeek Care Package that will blow them away!

Here's some hints....

It was built in South Africa
    Right hand drive
    Ford 302 V8 with a 4-speed Top Loader transmission
    Only 500 built

I feel bad giving my prize a bump because I know you've been busy but I missed out on one last year because I keep quite.

Anything sent yet, I'm afraid my neighbor may have gotten it.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    I feel bad giving my prize a bump because I know you've been busy but I missed out on one last year because I keep quite.

Anything sent yet, I'm afraid my neighbor may have gotten it.

Sorry... just been busy and I remember this just haven't gotten to it. For guessing the Ford Capri Perana you'll get your reward and it will go out today.

I just checked my PM's and found your shipping address.

Thanks for your patience.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all sorry about my super late response on this thread, but never the less, my take on the Feb 2017 Classes.

This class was very informative and intense as well. I was super honored to be part of this, was a great experience.

I am not going to repeat again about equipment and products etc., as these were previously touched on, however I must say what this class prepares you on mostly is TIME management, which is crucial in our industry!

Not a lot of us have the luxury of 3-4 days or more to have a car done for a customer.

Mike is pretty well organized and stern when it comes to this... I learned a lot when it came down to time and money/product management.

Again excellent class and met a lot of great people as well.

Will be definitely returning in the event of possible different classes in the future!

Thanks Mike and Andre, had a blast!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you so much!!!

Mike Phillips

The most hands-on FLEX 3401 Detailing Classes available only at Autogeek

The FLEX 3401 aka the BEAST and the only book on how to use the FLEX 3401

Question: What do you get to do when you attend a Competition Ready Detailing Class at Autogeek?

First - You get to use ALL the cool tools in the car detailing industry!

Second - And you get to use them on cool cars that are in dire need of restoration!

Without exception - these are the MOST HANDS-ON Detailing classes on planet Earth!

I personally guarantee it -Mike Phillips

The Hands-on FLEX 3401 Detailing Class - February 2017

This is 1996 Corvette with the ORIGINAL factory basecoat/clearcoat finish is one of the training cars for the February 2017 Flex 3401 class.

The paint is dull and weathered. The paint is also filled with swirls, scratches, oxidation and water spots

These are Type II Water Spot Etchings or Craters. This means the spots you see are not something ON the paint but etchings IN the paint.

Here's a couple of pictures taken inside under Florescent lights

The car behind the Corvette is a 1950 Hudson Hornet.

The 1950 Hudson Hornet has a 1-year old basecoat/clearcoat paint job with lots of swirls and scratches.

Car Washing

Here at our Competition Ready Detailing Classes we teach

1: Traditional Car Wash with a hose, bucket and foam gun - The Aggressive Approach (we cover the Gentle Approach)
    2: Rinseless Wash
    3: Waterless wash

For the Hudson and the Corvette the class will learn how to use the Rinseless Wash

From left to right...

Gregg, Steve, Daniel and Anthony

Mechanical Decontamination
    After using the Rinseless Wash to get these two cars clean, the class then used Nanoskin Towels to mechanically decontaminate the paint to remove above surface bonded contaminants.
    (no pictures of this process)

Paint Correction
    After mechanically decontaminating the paint, the class was taught how to do a Test Spot to see what it would take to remove the below surface defects and restore the best finish possible.

Process for the Corvette

The water spot etchings were deep in the Corvette as were the swirls and scratches. For the paint on this car, here's what we used.

• FLEX 3401 - Gear driven orbital polisher
    • Lake Country Hybrid Orange Foam Cutting Pads
    • Wolfgang Uber Compound

Note the orange colored pads in the pictures below for the first step.

From left to right...

Robert, Travis and Steve

Travis mastering the FLEX 3401 for compounding

Bobby mastering the FLEX 3401 for compounding...
    Bobby works here at Autogeek in Wholesale and attended this class to get caught up on all the latest tools, pads and products being introduced to the market. Bobby is also an enthusiast detailer detailing cars for family and friends and occasionally for profit. You will also see Bobby on Competition Ready in the episode where we did an Extreme Showcar Makeover to AJ's 1968 Firebird. Bobby was my "Wheel Guy" as he's damn good at polishing out wheels.

As the class is taking place I move around the classroom and work one-on-one with each student.

Here's David inspecting his results with the FLEX Swirl Finder Light...

Process for the Hudson

The Hudson was painted using a paint system where the clear is mixed in with the color coat and after the paint is sprayed but before it dries, the clear portion migrates to the outside. This gives the appearance of a 2-stage paint job while only shooting one stage paint. For this reason the clearcoat effect is VERY THIN.

It was decided to NOT get super aggressive for the correction step for this car.

• FLEX 3401 - Gear driven orbital polisher
    • Lake Country Hybrid White Foam Polishing Pads
    • Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover

Note the white colored pads in the pictures below for the first step

Here's Nancy learning to master the FLEX 3401 on this cool old Hudson. Nancy doesn't detail cars professionally, she attended this class simply to bring her own skill level up when taking care of her own cars and trucks. You'll see Nancy on Competition Ready for the Custom Car Builder's Challenge that we shot at Detail Fest.

Buffing on the roof in the front are Daniel and CJ - These two guys own their own detailing businesses and attended this class to take their knowledge and skills to a higher level.

This is Anil, he's from Trinidad and Tobago
    Anil owns his own detailing company. He flew here from Trinidad and Tobago, which is 1,700 miles from Stuart, Florida (one way), to take his skills and knowledge to a higher level. Tom is a retired College Professor and loves to detail cars for both fun and profit.

This is Tom aka TMQ on the AGO forum

Tom was our hearing impaired student for which we brought in professional signers so he understand the information being taught and take his knowledge and skills to a higher level.

Below in the front is Will working on the driver's side passenger door

Will works here at Autogeek in Customer Service and attended this class to get caught up on all the latest tools, pads and products being introduced to the market.

This is Roger! aka Roger that on the AGO forum!

I became good friends with Roger while he attended this class. Roger owns and runs a towing company and body shop and wanted to learn more about all the different tools, pads and compounds on the market for the buffing side of the painting industry. Roger also owns a couple of cool cars in his collection and of course wanted to know how to truly create a show car finish on his own rolling works of art.

You'll see Roger on Competition Ready for the Custom Car Builder's Challenge that we shot at Detail Fest.

Here's CJ taking care of business on the lower portion of the Hudson driver's door.

You'll also see CJ on Competition Ready for the Custom Car Builder's Challenge that we shot at Detail Fest.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast