autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mike Phillips

Re: Pictures & Comments from the February 2017 Competition Ready Detailing Class!

Continued....

Paint Polishing

While we used different approaches to remove the defects in the correction step, we'll use the same tools, pads and products for the polishing step on both vehicles.

Process

• Flex 3401 - Gear driven orbital polisher
    • Lake Country Hybrid Black Foam Finishing pads
    • Wolfgang Finishing Glaze (this is actually not a glaze but a fine cut polish)

Rick Goldstein the President and Founder of RaggTopp

I always have a special VIP guest at my classes to be the expert on their tools, pads or products. For this class we had two convertibles, (a 1967 Chevelle and a 1941 Buick) with canvas tops and two muscle cars with vinyl hard tops, (a 1967 Cutlass and a 1968 Charger), and Rick Goldstein was incredible as he shared his secrets of the trade when it comes to cleaning and protecting canvas and vinyl tops.

Besides being the President of RaggTopp Rick is also a "Car Guy" as Barry Meguiar would say and he's also a detailing enthusiast that's never afraid to jump in and get-r-done!

Rick Goldstein using the FLEX 3401 to machine polish the hood of the 1996 Corvette with the original factory paint.

Here's Anil tackling the passenger side...

Here's Tom tackling the back of the Corvette... Tom was a real go-getter!

Upfront on the passenger side fender is Roger an across from him is Steve.

Steve is a Graphic Designer by trade and he attended this class to bring up his own knowledge and skill level for working on his own cars.

CJ polishing the roof of the Hudson to perfection...

In every class there's always a few people that really stand out and CJ is one them in the class. He was here to learn! And whenever I asked for a volunteer it was either CJ, Roger or David who would jump for the opportunity.

Here's Anthony on the passenger side and Robert standing on a collapsed Werner Work Platform to wipe off polish after CJ did the machine polishing.

If you LOOK closely on the floor under the Werner Work Platform you'll see the RUBBER FLOOR MATS out of my truck under the platform. This is my secret I show guys to keep the Werner Work Platform from sliding or slipping out from under them when working on the RaceDeck tile floor in Autogeek's Show Car Garage.

The collapsed Werner Work Platform is also the simple technique I share in the class, (one of many), to give you 5" to 6" inches of lift to reach taller hoods.

Here's David machine polishing the lower sections of the driver's side doors...

Here's Anthony machine polishing the trunk lid which is HUGE!

Mike Phillips

Re: Pictures & Comments from the February 2017 Competition Ready Detailing Class!

Continued....

How to use Gyeon Q2 Mohs Ceramic Paint Coating

At or Competition Ready Detailing Classes you learn everything. This includes how to use,

• Traditional carnauba car waxes
    • Synthetic paint sealants
    • Ceramic Paint Coatings

For these two cars I chose to teach the class how to chemically strip the paint to remove the polishing oils and then how to apply the Gyeon Q2 Mohs Ceramic Paint Coating. Applying the Gyeon Q2 Mohs Ceramic Paint Coating is super easy, even on the HUGE BLACK HUDSON. The key is in how to carefully strip the paint so as not to re-instill any marring after polishing it to perfection.

Ceramic Paint Coating Application Techniques
    After chemically stripping the paint, (no pictures), next I share the technique for applying a ceramic paint coating. Ceramic paint coatings seal and protect the paint like a traditional car wax or synthetic paint sealant but also create amazing gloss, so much that I coined the term glassy to describe the gloss created by a quality ceramic paint coating. They also last much longer than traditional LSP's plus make washing, wiping and drying faster.

Demonstrating how to apply the Gyeon Q2 Mohs Ceramic Paint Coating
    (Behind me you can see Chris, one of the signers signing for Tom)

Then it's time to turn the class loose on the cars...

Here's Rick Goldstein doling out the coating using the included eye dropper with the Gyeon Q2 Mohs Ceramic Paint Coating

Here's Travis coating the front of the Corvette...

Here's Tom coating the back of the Hudson...

CJ coating the Corvette...

Here's Roger coating the Hudson...

Here's Daniel and Rex working on the Hudson...

Mike Phillips

Continued....

The Beauty shots...

Here are the results...

The 1996 Corvette

Remember this is the original paint on this 1996 Corvette. As I type this documentation for this class this car is now 21 years old.

Here's the 1950 Hudson...

When is the last time you worked on a Hudson? When it the last time you seen a Hudson in a detailing class for the students to train on?

And here's the class of February 2017

GREAT JOB EVERYONE!

Move em out!

Time to kick these two cars out of the garage and move in the next two cars. Here at our class we go through 16 cars in three days.

There's no time for sitting around while someone blathers on endlessly. This isn't no seminar, these are HANDS-ON Training Classes Mike Phillips style.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234