autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Pictures: May 2016 Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Class with Mike Phillips

Pictures: May 2016 Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Class with Mike Phillips

This is the thread for all the pictures and comments from the May Class.

Here's the graduating class of May 2016!

Sean

Tevin

Jesse

Ryan

Paulo

Scott

Misael

Alex

Gary

Richard

Ryan

Ken

Cleber

Jose

Chris

Jacob

Fred

Paul

Larry

Christian

Rich

Larry

Axel

David

Great job everyone!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The training cars for the 2016 May Competition Ready 3-day Detailing Class

Class was awesome man really enjoyed it and learned a lot. Can't wait to get out in the field and grow, thanks a lot Mike will see you Saturday at the cars n coffee!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike's Competition Ready detailing class

I just finished Mike's 3 day "Competition Ready Detailing Class" held at Autogeek. Yes, I've read plenty of forums, and I've viewed videos on proper use of tools and chemicals. But, if you're like me, I learn the BEST from reading, seeing, and DOING. This class is spectacular. There's very little "classroom" training. Instead, it's almost ALL hands on training. Mike and his team have you working on great cars that have their challenges. After they're fully detailed, you can't imagine the improvement...it's shocking!

Spend the $1,500, and learn how to properly take care of the investments you've made. There's no reason to risk it by letting someone else put their hands on your cars.

Mike Phillips

Re: The training cars for the 2016 May Competition Ready 3-day Detailing Class

First up - 1959 Cadillac Convertible and a 1941 Studebaker President

The 1959 Cadillac is fully restored with only 17,000 miles on it. The paint is new and it is a basecoat/clearcoat paint system just like new cars and trucks have.

The 1941 Studebaker President is a streetrod with a small block Chevy engine and automatic transmission. It has an antique single stage paint job.

These were the warm-up training cars for Friday. Friday is Fun Day! It's the day you learn to use all the popular polishers you see and hear about in the blogosphere. We start out with the easiest tools to learn how to use and master and these would be,

Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher - 8mm orbit stroke length
    Griot's Garage 6" Dual Action Polisher - 8mm orbit stroke length
    Meguiar's MT300 Dual Action Polisher - 8mm orbit stroke length
    Cyclo Polisher - 15mm orbit stroke length

For these two cars we used McKee's 37 products including,

McKee's 37 Fast Compound
    McKee's 37 Fast Polish
    McKee's 37 Jeweling Wax

The pads used were Lake Country 5.5" foam flat pads, orange, white and black.

BEFORE PICTURES

I have before pictures for the Cadillac but the 1941 Studebaker was a last minute substitute as the 1956 Buick Special that was supposed to be at the class canceled. The Studebaker was dropped off late Thursday night and we started first thing Friday morning so - no time to get the before pictures.

I have the longest history of any online detailer of fully documenting all my work and all my classes so you can take my word for it or not, that's up to you but I'm here to tell you that the paint on the Studebaker was a WRECK before my class used it as a training car.

Caddy Before Pictures

Swirl City
    I parked this car outside in the sun to document what the paint actually looks like and as you can see it's filled with swirls, scratches and some water spots. The people that attend this class will be the people that learn how to create a true show car finish on one of the most popular cars ever built in the history of man.

Studebaker before pictures
    I didn't take these my guess is Andre did. Thanks Andre. Notice how the color is lighter than the after pictures and a lot of this is the cause of oxidation over time.

Here's my class that did the amazing extreme makeovers to these two beautiful cars.

Here's my class that did the amazing extreme makeovers to these two beautiful cars.

Here's the results...

Great job everyone!

Mike Phillips

Re: Pictures: May 2016 Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Class with Mike Phillips

For all my students reading this thread, I'm also posting these picture to my Facebook page. If you haven't already, please send me a friend request and I'll tag you in the pictures.

Mike Phillips Facebook Page

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pictures: May 2016 Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Class with Mike Phillips

I attended the May 2016 Competition Ready Detailing class with Mike Philips. I’m an amateur detailer who details his own cars as a hobby. Both Mike and Andre were very helpful assisting me with my technique. Since I detail on a limited basis it was beneficial to have three days to hone my skills using a multitude of DA polishers and detailing products. Mike’s “learn by doing” method was in full effect during the three-day class.

Even simple, yet critical steps such as using detailing clay was covered in detail. Using a plastic baggie to feel impurities in the paint before and after claying was informative. Mike also provided opportunities to use Nanoskin wash mitts to compare and contrast results.

I have a Porter Cable 7424XP, but having the exposure to higher end polishers will help me to make an educated decision if/when I want to take the next step to upgrade my equipment. The Rupes, Flex, and Griot’s BOSS polishers are nice machines. I’m grateful that I had the opportunity to use them. The concentration on the three step process was of particular interest to me because I want to establish and keep a “Show Car” shine on my vehicles. We transformed a multitude of dull vehicles into eye-popping stunners. Mike selected an excellent cross-section of cars that kept the interest of the class members. Seeing the positive reaction of some of the owners when they received their vehicles validated the hard work the of the class members! All were impressed by the quality of the work.

I was exposed to ceramic coatings for the first time. The end result on the Mustang and Jaguar was astounding. Mike went step-by-step on the preparation of the vehicles (cleaning) which was critical before application of the coating. Mike was also methodical in his instruction on the application of the ceramic coating to ensure the desired end result. If I had not taken the class, I would have never considered a ceramic coating for my personal vehicles. Seeing the process first hand gives me the confidence to do so.

Engine bay detailing was also covered. Degreasing and cosmetic detailing methods are skills I can put to work immediately. Glass polishing and headlight restoration done the right way will come into use in the future.

The Showcar Garage was a great facility for use as a classroom and for hands-on work. Well-equipped, clean, and orderly.

I was also drawn to the class in order to work with an expert. Mike is certainly that.

So, if you’re a hobbyist who wants to detail his own vehicles with spectacular results, this is the class for you.

Fred

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on a great accomplishment guys !!!

Mike Phillips

Next up... the 1962 Buick Invicta and the 1965 GTO!

The 1962 Buick Invicta belongs to my friend Richard Apsley. We used Richard's black 1940 Ford Coupe in my January class. Richard purchased this car at a Mecum Auction. The paint was completely filled with HOLOGRAMS! Besides that it's a very beautiful Invicta Convertible especially after the class removed all of the Holograms.

The other car is a 1965 Pontiac GTO that belongs to my friend Earl Dempsey who we all know as Earl the Plumber. The paint on the GTO was filled with swirls and scratches. We used this car for some videos we shot for the Mothers Wax Attack 2 polisher but when we shot those videos we only buffed out two small sections. So it was nice to have Earl bring the car back and the class successfully removed all the swirls and scratches and created a show car finish worthy of this Big Block Goat!

Earl the Plumber's mean and nasty 1965 Pontiac GTO

Here's the before pictures...

Here's the after pictures...

Richard's 1962 Buick Invicta Convertible!

Here's some shots of the holograms the day of the class. Notice all the other cool cars in the background? This was taken on the first day of the class, Friday, May 6th, 2016

Here's the results the class produced...

It was around noon and time for lunch so after moving the Buick and the GTO outside everyone had a chance to inspect their work results in FULL overhead sun. Of course everyone also was able to inspect the paint BEFORE buffing out these cars in full overhead sun so they all know and understand what amazing transformations took place at their class.

Cleber liking what he sees!

More to come.... a LOT more to come!

This class was over the top with really cool cars and super high caliber people!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by fred129 View Post

I attended the May 2016 Competition Ready Detailing class with Mike Phillips. I’m an amateur detailer who details his own cars as a hobby. Both Mike and Andre were very helpful assisting me with my technique. Since I detail on a limited basis it was beneficial to have three days to hone my skills using a multitude of DA polishers and detailing products. Mike’s “learn by doing” method was in full effect during the three-day class.

Even simple, yet critical steps such as using detailing clay was covered in detail. Using a plastic baggie to feel impurities in the paint before and after claying was informative. Mike also provided opportunities to use Nanoskin wash mitts to compare and contrast results.

I have a Porter Cable 7424XP, but having the exposure to higher end polishers will help me to make an educated decision if/when I want to take the next step to upgrade my equipment. The Rupes, Flex, and Griot’s BOSS polishers are nice machines. I’m grateful that I had the opportunity to use them. The concentration on the three step process was of particular interest to me because I want to establish and keep a “Show Car” shine on my vehicles. We transformed a multitude of dull vehicles into eye-popping stunners. Mike selected an excellent cross-section of cars that kept the interest of the class members. Seeing the positive reaction of some of the owners when they received their vehicles validated the hard work the of the class members! All were impressed by the quality of the work.

I was exposed to ceramic coatings for the first time. The end result on the Mustang and Jaguar was astounding. Mike went step-by-step on the preparation of the vehicles (cleaning) which was critical before application of the coating. Mike was also methodical in his instruction on the application of the ceramic coating to ensure the desired end result. If I had not taken the class, I would have never considered a ceramic coating for my personal vehicles. Seeing the process first hand gives me the confidence to do so.

Engine bay detailing was also covered. Degreasing and cosmetic detailing methods are skills I can put to work immediately. Glass polishing and headlight restoration done the right way will come into use in the future.

The ShowCar Garage was a great facility for use as a classroom and for hands-on work. Well-equipped, clean, and orderly.

I was also drawn to the class in order to work with an expert. Mike is certainly that.

So, if you’re a hobbyist who wants to detail his own vehicles with spectacular results, this is the class for you.

Fred

Hi Fred,

It was great having you here at Autogeek for one of our Competition Ready 3-day detailing classes. I also enjoyed working with you as we worked through all the cars, tools, techniques and procedures.

It was a fast-paced class and we covered a LOT of topics but you and everyone really put forth 100% effort and the results for ALL the cars reflected this... (no pun intended).

Thank you for joining the forum and sharing your experience. If there's ever anything I can do for you please don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Mike Phillips

Next...1973 Mercury Cougar and 1966 Ford Fairlane GT 390

These were the RUPES Car Detailing Training Cars. The entire RUPES Paint Polishing System was used to restore a show car finish to both cars.

Here's the guys that made the magic happen....

Before shots
    Here's the only before shots I have of the Cougar, the paint was dull and tired looking and rough to the touch.

Here's the after pictures....

Before pictures of the 1966 Ford Fairlane GT 390

After pictures

Two more cars taken over the top by my May 2016 class!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast