autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Griot's Garage BOSS Detailing Classes at Autogeek

Griot's Garage BOSS Detailing Classes at Autogeek

1970 Chevelle 396 - Show Car Makeover

After warming up with the PC style DA Polishers and the Cyclo polishers we were ready to start the Griot's Garage Boss Detailing Class using the G21 and the G15 as well as the BOSS buffing pads and creams.

First we go through a brief power point presentation covering the benefits and features of the Griot's BOSS paint polishing system.

(Each tool has it's own power point presentation and ends with the words Break for Hands-on in the slide show which indicates it's time to get out of the chairs and get to work!)

How to correctly use a Rinseless Wash
    In keeping with the "best practice" of never washing classics, muscle cars or street rods with running water from a hose, for this 1970 numbers matching Chevelle we're going to use DP Rinseless Wash & Gloss to remove any loose surface dirt.

Here I'm dunking about 20 clean microfiber towels into the solution of DP Rinseless Wash & Gloss and water at once ounce of product per 2 gallons of water.

Here's Yancy getting some video footage....

Correct Technique
    Next we go over the correct technique for cleaning a car without scratching the paint using a rinseless wash. After the demonstration and answering a few questions the class takes over and gets the Chevelle clean and ready to clay.

Using detailing clay to remove above surface bonded contaminants
    After cleaning the car using a rinseless wash we felt the paint with our clean bare hands and using the baggie test and found the paint was horribly contaminated so the class used Pinnacle Ultra Fine Poly Detailing Clay to remove anything bonded to the surface.

How to use the Griot's G15 and G21 with the BOSS pads and creams
    Next we did 2 test spots to dial in our process using the BOSS paint polishing system. I was hoping to use the orange foam cutting pads with the Correcting Cream and while it worked phenomenal in order to remove more defects faster we stayed with the Correcting Cream but switched over to the more aggressive white foam cutting pads.

Mike Phillips

Re: Griot's Garage BOSS Detailing Classes at Autogeek

Compounding using Griot's BOSS Correcting Cream
    After dialing in our process using two test spots the class jumped in and starting machine compounding to remove swirls and scratches.

Chris compounding with the G21...

Chelsea compounding with the G15...

Tom with a G21

Here's Bob tackling the roof using the Griot's G21

Mike working the G15

Mike Phillips

Machine polishing with the Griot's BOSS Paint Polishing System

Next we switched over to the yellow foam pads and the Perfecting Cream to maximize gloss, depth, clarity and shine.

Mike Phillips

Machine Waxing with the Griot's BOSS Paint Polishing System
    After polishing we machine waxed using the Griot's Finishing Sealant with the Griot's black foam finishing pads.
    (no pictures)

Removing the sealant
    After allowing the sealant to dry for a few minutes everyone used the techniques and tools learned previously on the Corvettes and the 1958 Plymouth Fury to carefully remove the sealant.

Mike Phillips

Here are the results...

The definition of wet paint!

And here's the class responsible...

The owner picked up his car today and couldn't believe it was the same car!

On Autogeek.com

Griots Garage BOSS Long-Throw Orbital Polisher System

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up and very informative. I had some questions about product and pad combinations for an upcoming correction with my new BOSS GG21 and BOSS products/pads, this helped answer them.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Mike Phillips

Your turn!

Clear your schedule and get signed-up for the next 3-day Detailing Boot Camp Class at Autogeek.

Be a part of the most hands-on training classes in the world. Learn how to use the Griot's BOSS Paint Polishing System like a pro!

Click here to get signed-up for the next 3-day detailing boot camp class

Post Thanks / Like

BOSS Gloss!

Car turned out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    BOSS Gloss!

Car turned out great!

Thanks Chad.

As beautiful as this car may have been to the untrained eye, to the trained eye and sense of touch there were,

1. Machine sanding marks left in the paint.
    2. Hand sanding marks left in the paint.
    3. Some kind of bonded contaminant all over the paint, glass, chrome etc.
    4. Normal swirls and scratches throughout the entire finish.

And with all these defects the true beauty of the paint job was camouflaged and the quality of the restoration work performed to this classic muscle car was undermined simply by the condition of the paint.

The class really liked using the BOSS system with the G21 and G15 being praised by everyone.

The owner of this Chevelle has another big block Chevelle in the same hacked-up condition and has offered me his other Chevelle for our next 3-day detailing class in September.

I wait till we get closer to the class to match tools to cars as I never know what I'll have in the way of cars but as of today I'm off to a good start with these three cars confirmed for the September class.

1970 Chevelle - Factory 454 BBC car - Orange with horrendous swirls, scratches and overspray.

1966 Dodge Charger - Full restoration with holograms in the paint and some type of bonded contaminants.

2004 Chevy Avalanche - Neglected since purchased new. We'll use this as one of the cars to learn how to do production detailing.

Here's a picture of the 1966 Charger

Mike Phillips

Just to document, here are 4 pictures showing how all the paint on this car looks. I have more showing the horrid condition of the paint. A lot more.

Here's a shot framing up the trunk lid...

Here's the close-up of the same location. Note besides the swirls and scratches there's also a film on the paint and it feels as rough as #40 grit sandpaper.

Here's the cowel induction hood. The overhead florescent lights show the paint to look hazy....

The flash from my camera tells tells the whole story...

The most common question I get about the cars I obtain for our classes goes something like this,

How can a car like this have paint in such bad condition?

Usually its either one of two reasons.

1. The owner doesn't know how to "touch" the paint on their own car and by touch I mean anything and everything that involves touching the car. For example wiping the car with a spray detailer, waxing the car by hand or machine, washing and drying the car etc.

OR

2. They purchase the car in its current condition and the previous owner didn't have a clue as to how to "touch" their car.

Car paint is easily scratched. Very easily. A car's paint job can be completely destroyed with one single wash job if the person doing the washing is clueless as to what they are doing.

The thing is... undoing the damage takes hours. A car like this Chevelle would take a seasoned expert a minimum of 8 hours to undo the damage and restore a finish like you see here,

And the sad part is the only thing that separates a quality wash job from a poor quality wash job is knowledge.

Besides teaching people the art and craft of car detailing throughout our 3-day class we also show everyone how to "touch" the paint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast