autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Pictures & Comments: July 2015 Detailing Boot Camp Class!

Pictures & Comments: July 2015 Detailing Boot Camp Class!

Pictures from the class as well as comments and feedback from this class will be posted to this thread.

Click the link below to get signed up for the 3-day class in September.

September 3-day Detailing Boot Camp Class

Out of the 4 classes we teach each year the September class fills up the fastest so click the link above or call Nick at

1-800-869-3011 x215

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pictures & Comments: July 2015 Detailing Boot Camp Class!

This is my review of the July detailing boot camp.

Settle in for this journey, because I have a lot to talk about. But I can sum it all down into one word... Amazing!

I did a lot of research before I settled in on doing one of these classes. I wanted to make sure I was not going to be spending this kind of money and going to a place and watching a bunch of video presentations, and sitting through advertising gimmicks of a company. I wanted to be able to learn new things and be able to use them in a real world atmosphere.

You can sit and watch videos, you can read all the detailing forums in the world. But what you cannot do is have the level of expertise, or the products on hand that you get from this class! This class will put EVERY tool you want to try out in your hands, with an instructor giving you the proper procedures, and abilities to use the tool or product correctly. This is not standing around watching them do it, this is not about that at all. Each tool is explained, each product is explained, then put directly into you hands, and you are set free to do what you came to do.

When I looked at how the course was going to be set up, and was on the fence on what I would actually be getting out of this class, I did not believe we would be given every aspect that we were. We all look on the posts from Mike, we have read the past reviews, and we have looked at the pictures. But the pictures only show so much. This is 3 days of intense training, 3 days of hands on, with very little sitting time. As Mike said at the end, we were not even sure if there would be time to get to everything, because they pack so much into so little time.

If you plan to attend, be prepared to work! Wear comfortable clothing, wear shoes you can be comfortable standing in, or kneeling in all day. Mike sends an email out prior to the class stating to get a good nights rest before the first day... you will need it. You get out of this class what YOU put into it. They will give you everything you ask for, and more. I do not know of any other class that will put a basically pristine GTO Judge to a bunch of strangers, hand them tools that they may never have used before, and tell them to put a machine to it...and fix it!

Let me be honest, the pictures only tell part of the story of these vehicles. Some were absolute nightmares when they came in, and we made them better. This is not all about working show level cars either, the Avalanche and the work truck were real everyday cars, and they brought it all the way down to the real world of detailing.

Not only did Mike brain dump his knowledge to us, but Nick was right behind him as the Autogeek Wikipedia of the products we were using. If we were not using a product, Nick was still there to answer any questions for anything they carried, and even was able to give comparisons to stuff they may not have.

Every tool or product was explained as they were the company representative of that product line. There are no favorites, there are no "Best" it is just real world experience with everything offered.

The running joke of the class was "Mike has an article on that..." But its not a joke, he truly does his best to give you everything he knows from a lifetime of detailing and instructing. Try teaching a lifetime of your knowledge to 20 strangers... Not an easy task, and then try to do it all in 3 days... again, an almost impossible task. But somehow he does it, and does it very well.

If you leave the class with questions, it is because you did not ask them. There is plenty of opportunity to ask anything you want. Mike and Nick did their best to give the knowledge to everyone when the question has been asked 100's of times before, or even if they had never heard it asked. No question was ever treated as if it was the wrong question. It was always truthful, and always answered in a manor that was understood by all.

This class is designed for EVERYONE! If you have never picked up a machine, or washed a car in your life, to the professional detailer that puts food on the table for their family. If you are looking to improve your beater, or work on the elite, each aspect is covered.

This is a first class operation, and it shows. Confidence is gained through the class.

Some of you may be saying to yourself... why doesn't Autogeek do this all over... I can answer that question for you very easily...Cost! The facility is huge, the tool selection is outstanding, and the products used are all right there. I was amazed at how much was right there at your fingertips... But think about trying to do this at another location, and the sheer magnitude of the class becomes very apparent. We used an average of 300 Microfiber towels per day. We had 10-20 machines of each type sitting on the tables, we had chemicals, extension cords, vacuums, extractors, steam machines etc. Not to mention the static hoods and items used in the wet sanding portion. To put all of this equipment in a truck, move it to another location, and then find 20 outlets that will handle the power consumption, parking spaces, and a climate controlled facility on top of all of that is a logistics nightmare. Then find someone that is willing to drop their car off to 20 strangers with power tools on top of all that, and be of the quality that Mike works with. It is just not feasible.

Just to summarize all of this, if you are thinking about doing this... just sign up, you will not be disappointed.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I went to the detail boot camp this weekend. It was awesome!! Mike Phillips and his sidekick Nick are amazing. I learned things in one weekend that would have taken me years to learn. I definitely recommend this class for anyone that wants to learn the right way to detail a car. This was definitely a once in a life time experience. Thank you Mike and Nick for an amazing weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

I have wanted to attend this class since I first heard about it. Well I finally did! Sean (Camel) isn't kidding when he described this class. The majority of equipment manufacturers were well represented and the cars were a joy to work on. I too came away with an increased confidence level. The class was made up of intelligent, hard workers that made the whole time enjoyable. The days flew by, but I had no problem getting to sleep after class. If you are sitting on the fence about taking this class, don't be. It is worth every penny!! I just got home after a 15 plus hour drive home, so I apologize if this is jumbled. I will post a more thought out post after a proper night's sleep.

Walter

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
    2009 Volvo S60 2.5T Black 2011 Mini Countryman Oxford Green Metallic

Mike Phillips

Hi Sean,

Thank you for your first-hand feedback, I know others across the country and around the world appreciate hearing what people that have attended our class have to say and you said it well.

I was off Monday to re-energize my batteries and playing catch-up this morning with e-mail and PM's etc. I'm going to start sharing some pictures from this class and all the amazing cars you worked on but first, I've quoted a portion of your feedback and below I'll add some pictures that show just how many tools we have on hand for our classes.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCamel View Post

Some of you may be saying to yourself... why doesn't Autogeek do this all over... I can answer that question for you very easily...Cost!

The facility is huge, the tool selection is outstanding, and the products used are all right there. I was amazed at how much was right there at your fingertips... But think about trying to do this at another location, and the sheer magnitude of the class becomes very apparent.

• We used an average of 300 Microfiber towels per day.
    • We had 10-20 machines of each type sitting on the tables,
    • we had chemicals, extension cords, vacuums, extractors, steam machines etc.
    • Not to mention the static hoods and items used in the wet sanding portion.
    To put all of this equipment in a truck, move it to another location, and then find 20 outlets that will handle the power consumption, parking spaces, and a climate controlled facility on top of all of that is a logistics nightmare.

Then find someone that is willing to drop their car off to 20 strangers with power tools on top of all that, and be of the quality that Mike works with. It is just not feasible.

Here are just some of the tools we use at our 3-day detailing boot camp class.

Simple DA Polishers
    Porter Cable 7424XP - Meguiar's G110v2 - Meguiar's MT300 - Griot's 6" DA Polisher

We start out using these entry level DA polishers to go over the correct techniques for machine correction, polishing and waxing.

Cyclo Polishers
    Next we train with Cyclo polishers.

Griot's Boss G15 & G21 Orbital Polishers
    After the Cyclo polishers we move up to the Griot's Boss Paint Polishing System. The class used the Boss System on the 1970 Chevelle. Wait till you see the after pictures.

RUPES Bigfoot 21, BigFoot 15, Duetto and Mini Orbital Polishers
    We used the RUPES BigFoot Polishers and the RUPES paint polishing system to buff out the 1969 GTO Judge and the results were nothing short of remarkable.

Flex 3401 Gear-driven Dual Action Polishers
    We used the Flex 3401 on the black Chevy SSR and after the class compounded and polished this SSR the black paint looks like liquid black oil.

Rotary Buffers
    We used the Flex PE14, DeWALT 849X and Makita 9237CX2 to bring the paint on a severely neglected Chevy 2500 HD Truck.

MyTee HP60 Spyder and the MyTee Lite II 8070 Hot Water Carpet Extractors
    We used these to clean the interior of the Chevy truck.

Nanoskin pads, towels and wash mitts
    We use these tools to show how to mechanically decontaminate paint during the washing step and also as an alternative to detailing clay after a waterless and rinseless wash.

Foam Guns and Tornadors
    For washing we show how to use use foam guns and for cleaning we show how to use Tornadors.

Lots of DP products for inside and outside detailing

Dupray Hill Injection Steam Cleaner
    Inside this storage bag is the best and most popular steam cleaners for cleaning without chemicals.

Mike Phillips

Wow!

I just moved all the pictures off the camera memory card to a folder on my computer.

723 pictures!

Can't post them all but will try to pick out some that show the class in action.

Next 3-day Detailing Boot Camp Class is,

Friday September 25th
    Saturday September 26th
    Sunday September 27th
    Click the link below to get signed up for the next class. The September class always fills up the fastest so reserve your seat today.

Autogeek's September 3-day Detailing Boot Camp Class

What will you get to do in the September class? I'll let the pictures in this thread do the talking!

Post Thanks / Like

Okay let's try this again, now that I have had a little rest. This class is by far the best bang for the buck I have spent on any type of training. We learned to use any type of detailing equipment you can imagine. Just the wide variety of polishers available for use was mind blowing. We were given the opportunity on several cars to use whatever type of machine we wanted to gain experience with. This helped people narrow down their selections of machines they might be considering. Not only did we get to work on incredible show cars, but also on daily drivers that had been trashed. Since the DD is the bread and butter of most detailers, we were given the opportunity to hone our skills on the type of vehicles we will encounter most often.
    Mike and Nick are veritable fountains of detailing knowledge, which was imparted on us prior to using machines on metal. While the hands-on time was abundant, we were not let loose on machines without learning about them first. The classroom was temperature controlled, which is important in the Florida heat.
    The participants in the class were all great guys and gal, which made for a super experience. I would not hesitate for a second recommending this class to anyone interested in auto detailing. If you are on the fence about taking this class, let me assure you, it is worth every penny.

Walter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Wow!

I just moved all the pictures off the camera memory card to a folder on my computer.

723 pictures!

Can't post them all but will try to pick out some that show the class in action.

Next 3-day Detailing Boot Camp Class is,

Friday September 25th
    Saturday September 26th
    Sunday September 27th
    Click the link below to get signed up for the next class. The September class always fills up the fastest so reserve your seat today.

Autogeek's September 3-day Detailing Boot Camp Class

What will you get to do in the September class? I'll let the pictures in this thread do the talking!

I bet that number doesn't count the pics you took with your phone to send to car owners.

Mike Phillips

Friday

After washing, chemically decontaminating and mechanically decontaminating the black 2000 Corvette, the Lemans blue 2004 Corvette and the black 2004 Chevy SSR we moved the two Corvettes into the garage to inspect the paint for defects.

The 2004 Lemans Blue Corvette had light swirls and scratches throughout the finish.

The 2000 black Corvette had a LOT of very deep Type II water Spots, (crater etchings), plus lots of swirls and scratches and an overall dull, lifeless appearance.

We start the class with what I call the entry level dual action polishers. I refer to them as entry level because they are the most common tool people purchase once they decide to move from hand polishing to machine polishing.

These tools are also the easiest to learn how to use and become proficient with for doing correction, polishing and machine waxing. These would include,

Porter Cable 7424XP
    Griot's Garage 6" DA Polisher
    Meguiar's G110v2
    Meguiar's MT300

All of the above tools use the free spinning spindle design with a 8mm orbit stroke. They all pretty much work the same way.

We're going to be wiping all the cars we train on over the course of the 3-day class so the first thing we go over is how to inspect a microfiber towel before wiping paint. This is just as important as learning any other aspect of car detailing because if you use a contaminated towel you will undo your hard work and have wasted all your time and detailing supplies.

Test Spots
    Because the black Corvette had the worst condition paint we started out doing two test spots. In the class we go over how and why to do a test spot or multiple test spots before buffing out an entire car.

First test spot
    BLACKFIRE SRC Compound
    Porter Cable 7424XP
    Lake Country 5.5" Orange Foam Cutting Pad

Laying down a tape line to make it easy to visually compare before and after results.

Compounding a section of paint....

The results looked great and for the Lemans blue Corvette we're going to use the Lake Country orange foam cutting pads.

To get a little more defect removal next we tested using the very aggressive Meguiar's 5" DA Foam Cutting Discs.

By simply changing to a more aggressive foam cutting pad using the same compound and same type of dual action polisher we obtained better defect removal. Everyone working on the black Corvette will be using the BLACKFIRE SRC Compound with the Meguiar's foam cutting discs.

After dialing in our process via the Test Spot next it's time to learn how to properly use masking tape to tape off trim and emblems. There's a few techniques for doing this correctly and after demonstrating the techniques the class is turned loose to tape off the Corvettes.

Mike Phillips

Hands-on training
    Our classes are almost all hands-on training. There's very little sitting time when you attend Autogeek's 3-day Detailing Boot Camp Classes.

Here's Chelsea dialing in her technique for removing swirls and scratches using the Griot's Garage 6" DA Polisher. Note instead of using the handle she slides her hand inside the handle and holds the head of the polisher. There's a reason for this technique and we go over this in the class.

Sounds like a swarm of bees when you get 15 polishers all buzzing at the same time!

Here's Chris using the Porter Cable 7424XP

Here's Mike using the Porter Cable 7424XP

Here's Cody working on the Lemans blue Corvette. Note the Chevy Corvette emblem on the car and the Ford Racing logo on Cody's shirt.

Here's the hood of the Lemans blue Corvette after compounding....

Here's Chelsea working on the driver's door....

BLACKFIRE Crystal Coat Paint Coating
    After compounding with the BLACKFIRE SRC Compound and polishing with BLACKFIRE SRC Finishing Polish we stripped the paint using BLACKFIRE Crystal Coat Paint Prep we went over the techniques for applying a paint coating.

Hands-on time....

Finished!
    The Corvettes came out looking better than factory new!

Next....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast