autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mike Phillips

Re: How to use the Rupes Bigfoot Polisher - Detailing Class

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post

Great thread!

My better half wanted me to go to this one, but funds said otherwise.
    Everything in its own time. We're certainly not going anywhere and as a trend, each class seems to get better and better and always with a good mix of cars to train on.

I understand that as of now Rupes doesn't feature a protective step in their range,
    On that note... while I was at the Rupes International Sales Meeting in Milan, Italy I had the opportunity as a guest speaker to share my thoughts on the detailing industry as it is now and as it will evolve into the future. At the end of my presentation I pointed out that Rupes is in the same predicament that Meguiar's was in from the early 1900's to 1950 because Meguiar's offered compounds and polishes for the automotive industry but they didn't offer their first wax or at least finishing wax until 1951.

Right now if you polish paint to perfection using any portion of the Rupes Paint Polishing System afterwards you are forced to go outside the brand in order to seal the paint be it with a wax, a synthetic sealant or a paint coating.

I pointed this out at the meeting and my recommendation was to bring out 4 products and let their customer's decides which of these products would best suit their taste and needs...

1. High end Carnauba Finishing Wax.
    2. 100% Synthetic Paint Sealant.
    3. Hi-Tech Paint Coating
    4. One-step Cleaner/Wax (for production detailing)

Last I heard from my contacts at Rupes was at this time there are no plans to introduce any sealing products.

In some ways that's a good thing as it lets us choose and use our favorite brands.

Polished with Rupes and sealed with Synergy

Polished with Rupes and sealed with BlackICE

Polished with Rupes and sealed with Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax

but what would be the most efficient way to install wax or sealant using the Bigfoot machines?
    I've used the Rupes Mini with a Rupes White Foam Finishing Pad on the 1 speed setting. I've also used the Rupes Bigfoot 15 & 21 using their white finishing pads on the low speed settings.

Key is get the polishers moving as soon as you turn them on to get that initial product trapped between the pad and the paint spread out.

Their white foam finishing pad is very nice. If you look at the hood of the Trans Am, keep in mind I machine polished that 37 YEAR OLD VINYL GRAPHIC using their white foam finishing pad the Diamond Ultra Fine Polish and then machine sealed with the Blackfire BlackICE and this combo removed decades of road film off the graphic and really brought back vibrancy to the colors.

I mean look at it...

Before

After

The Trans Am is one of the most dramatic before and after transformations I've ever seen.

Good questions!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

Their white foam finishing pad is very nice. If you look at the hood of the Trans Am, keep in mind I machine polished that 37 YEAR OLD VINYL GRAPHIC using their white foam finishing pad the Diamond Ultra Fine Polish and then machine sealed with the Blackfire BlackICE and this combo removed decades of road film off the graphic and really brought back vibrancy to the colors.

I mean look at it...

Before

After

The Trans Am is one of the most dramatic before and after transformations I've ever seen.

Good questions!

Hey Mike, is there a video or thread link you can give on that Trans Am?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by conman1395 View Post

Hey Mike, is there a video or thread link you can give on that Trans Am?

There will be something in March.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Everything in its own time. We're certainly not going anywhere and as a trend, each class seems to get better and better and always with a good mix of cars to train on.

On that note... while I was at the Rupes International Sales Meeting in Milan, Italy I had the opportunity as a guest speaker to share my thoughts on the detailing industry as it is now and as it will evolve into the future. At the end of my presentation I pointed out that Rupes is in the same predicament that Meguiar's was in from the early 1900's to 1950 because Meguiar's offered compounds and polishes for the automotive industry but they didn't offer their first wax or at least finishing wax until 1951.

Right now if you polish paint to perfection using any portion of the Rupes Paint Polishing System afterwards you are forced to go outside the brand in order to seal the paint be it with a wax, a synthetic sealant or a paint coating.

I pointed this out at the meeting and my recommendation was to bring out 4 products and let their customer's decides which of these products would best suit their taste and needs...

1. High end Carnauba Finishing Wax.
    2. 100% Synthetic Paint Sealant.
    3. Hi-Tech Paint Coating
    4. One-step Cleaner/Wax (for production detailing)

Last I heard from my contacts at Rupes was at this time there are no plans to introduce any sealing products.

In some ways that's a good thing as it lets us choose and use our favorite brands.

Polished with Rupes and sealed with Synergy

Polished with Rupes and sealed with Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax

I've used the Rupes Mini with a Rupes White Foam Finishing Pad on the 1 speed setting. I've also used the Rupes Bigfoot 15 & 21 using their white finishing pads on the low speed settings.

Key is get the polishers moving as soon as you turn them on to get that initial product trapped between the pad and the paint spread out.

I mean look at it...

Before

After

Good questions!

Mike, thanks so much for the insight!

That Trans Am.... Literally took my breath away. To see such a transformation, on my favorite car since I even knew what a car was. My Aunt Liz had a 1976, which was the year I was born. She had it into the 80's, and I absolutely loved that thing. Fantastic broke and after on that.

Mike Phillips

Mike, thanks so much for the insight!
    No problemo... always happy to help where I can...

That Trans Am.... Literally took my breath away.

To see such a transformation, on my favorite car since I even knew what a car was.

The owner, my buddy Mark was going to put this car up for sale at one of the big auctions but after the transformation he fell in love with the car again and says he's not selling it. At least not for now.

Not only does this car look good but just like Burt Reynolds showed us in Smokey and the Bandit, (and this is the same car he drove), this car will get it on!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike,

Did you every get a video or thread on the complete detailing of that Trans Am? I have a 1977 and would like very much to see how you handled all of the pin stripes and various decals. I suspect it's a monumental masking task.

Although the attached pic does look good, the paint does need some work to get it to the next level.

Thanks so much!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to use the Rupes Bigfoot Polisher - Detailing Class-774123_495917320451116_1556219638_o-jpg  

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by H8Rain View Post
    Hi Mike,

Did you every get a video or thread on the complete detailing of that Trans Am?

I have a complete write-up with pictures that will be available in the near future.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123