autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pictures & Comments from May 5th & 6th Detailing Boot Camp

A special thanks to Mike for sharing his knowledge at this weekend's detailing bootcamp. The hands on instruction gave me the confidence to make my business thrive even more. For professional detailers or those detailing as a hobby, this is a must class to attend. I really loved the instruction, hands on technique and introduction to different products and tools. I have to thank Nick and Ray for the much needed information and help that they gave. Don't THINK about attending this class. Like NIKE says, JUST DO IT!!!!
    Tony Moore
    MooreAttention2Detail
    www.mooreattention2detail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! That looked like great fun! Wish I could have been there.........oh I was there, OK. In all seriousness, Mike put on a terrific and "eye opening" class. There were so many "Aha" moments I lost count! I would recommend this class not only to people with detailing businesses but for "enthusiasts" like myself who can be armed with the knowledge and "hands on" training to tackle the most daunting detail jobs.

Thank you Mike and Nick for a fantastic weekend! I will be back......don't know if you wanted to hear that!

Cheers,

Tim
    Northeast Harbor, Maine

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore View Post
    A special thanks to Mike for sharing his knowledge at this weekend's detailing bootcamp. The hands on instruction gave me the confidence to make my business thrive even more. For professional detailers or those detailing as a hobby, this is a must class to attend. I really loved the instruction, hands on technique and introduction to different products and tools. I have to thank Nick and Ray for the much needed information and help that they gave. Don't THINK about attending this class. Like NIKE says, JUST DO IT!!!!
    Tony Moore
    MooreAttention2Detail
    www.mooreattention2detail.com

Hi Tony,

It was great meeting you and working with you all day Saturday and Sunday. You have a great attitude towards this craft and a real air of professionalism, I'm confident you're going to be very successful.

Quote Originally Posted by 911 Crazy View Post
    Wow! That looked like great fun! Wish I could have been there.........oh I was there, OK. In all seriousness, Mike put on a terrific and "eye opening" class. There were so many "Aha" moments I lost count! I would recommend this class not only to people with detailing businesses but for "enthusiasts" like myself who can be armed with the knowledge and "hands on" training to tackle the most daunting detail jobs.

Thank you Mike and Nick for a fantastic weekend! I will be back......don't know if you wanted to hear that!

Cheers,

Tim
    Northeast Harbor, Maine

Thanks for the kind words Tim, it was a pleasure meeting you and having you in our detailing boot camp class over the weekend. Keep me posted as to what you find out about the paint on your Porsche and if all the signs are good we could have you and your Porsche back for a wetsand, cut and buff project.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This class was phenomenal!!! I want to give a huge thanks to Mike, Nick, and the rest of the Autogeek staff that helped make this class as helpful, informative, and friendly as possibly could be.

I learned more in the 2 days at this Boot Camp, then I have in all my time on any detailing forum.

Not only was Mike extremely knowledgeable and very friendly, but the passion and eagerness he sincerely displayed to help us improve ourselves was unparalleled.

Not only was this class a great way to develop and improve skills both familiar an new, it was a massive confidence booster!

Thanks so much guys!!!! I look forward to attending more classes in the future.

-Mackay Eveland
    Riverside, CT

Mike Phillips

Picture time!

Full class wide-awake early Saturday morning and ready to go!

Lots of hands-on time both days... here' we're taping off plastic trim before machine polishing glass because as everyone found out it can be a little messy...

Claying with Glass Clay from the Diamondite® Glasswork System Kit for Machine Application

Jeff claying glass, Jeff is primarily a Motorcycle Detailing and his clients include Billy Joel and Ricky Martin

Stephan claying the driver's side windshield. Stephan works mostly on classic car and muscle cars.

Here I'm using a rotary buffer backing plate with the numbers of a clock face on it to help teach how to use the The 10 @ 10 technique for picking up a bead of product with a rotary buffer when machine polishing glass using a rotary buffer.

Jeff using the Flex PE14 to machine polish glass...

Sean machine polishing glass...

Steve machine polishing glass...

Donovan machine polishing glass...

Our Detailing Book Camp classes are fast-paced and very busy all day, both days...

Tony machine polishing glass...

Don machine polishing glass...

Tyler machine polishing glass...

Nick providing a little hands-on training with Tim...

More to come...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Classroom is all set-up and ready to go, demo car is in horrific condition perfect for our class, donuts are fresh and coffee is hot!

Hot Coffee and Fresh Donuts!
    Shoot, that's reason enough to attend right there!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RoadrunnerSTi View Post
    This class was phenomenal!!! I want to give a huge thanks to Mike, Nick, and the rest of the Autogeek staff that helped make this class as helpful, informative, and friendly as possibly could be.

I learned more in the 2 days at this Boot Camp, then I have in all my time on any detailing forum.

Not only was Mike extremely knowledgeable and very friendly, but the passion and eagerness he sincerely displayed to help us improve ourselves was unparalleled.

Not only was this class a great way to develop and improve skills both familiar an new, it was a massive confidence booster!

Thanks so much guys!!!! I look forward to attending more classes in the future.

-Mackay Eveland
    Riverside, CT

Thank you for the kind words Mackay, it was pleasure meeting you and getting to spend 2 days working with you... appeciate you coming all the way from Riverside, Connecticut!

Post Thanks / Like

I love to see the younger guys taking an interest in detailing! Props to Tyler!

Mike Phillips

Next up is headlight polishing, for this we used the Meguiar's Heavy Duty Headlight Correction System with a twist, I demonstrated the Meguiar's backing pad for the 3" Sanding Discs but then shared how they also fit on the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher and how working by machine takes all the work out of the project.

Wetting the face of the #1000 Unigrit Sanding Disc with plain water...

Hand sanding... (elbow grease)

Machine sanding (no elbow grease)

Everyone pretty much just wanted to work by machine... here's Jeff machine sanding a headlight lens...

Here's Stephan misting some water onto the face of the sanding disc...

Stephan machine sanding a headlight lens

Don machine sanding...

Products used...

3" Griot's Garage Mini Orbital Polisher
    Be sure to get the 3" Foam Interface Pad if you're planning on using the 3" Griot's Garage Mini Polisher for sanding headlights for dampsanding paint.

Meguiars Unigrit 3 Inch Foam Interface Pad

Meguiars Heavy Duty Two Step Headlight Restoration Kit - G3000

I also demonstrated the Flitz ScuffPads

The Flitz Mini ScuffPad is made of resin-coated non-woven abrasives in cut fiber strands. The flexible, durable sanding pads are perfect for contoured surfaces. Use the pads wet or dry.

The Flitz Mini ScuffPad is the equivalent to 1500 grit sandpaper. On scratched headlight lenses, plastics, wood, composite, and metal, the Mini ScuffPad sands down the scratched surface to create a more uniform surface. When you begin polishing, the entire surface is being leveled at the same rate. The results are uniform and smooth.

Flitz Mini ScuffPads 6 Pack, 1500 Grit

More to come!

Post Thanks / Like

WOW good stuff. I wish I lived closer.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast