autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Pictures from Detailing Boot Camp Day 1

Pictures from Detailing Boot Camp Day 1

Here's a few pictures from today's class, I have to head down to the social meet & greet so I'll add some comments later.

Also, I would like to say a special thank you to Fred aka feslope for playing "Photographer" today... you did great!

A HUGE thank you to Nick for all his help today and also to Yancy for broadcasting the live stream.

We'll be broadcasting live again tomorrow starting around 12:30ish to 1:00pm

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pictures from Detailing Boot Camp Day 1

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

Had the chance today to watch you guys use the extractor on those dirty seats. What a difference it makes. Great class today, going check in on tomorrow class.
    Gary

Mike Phillips

Here's what's up for tomorrow... everyone gets to machine polish the clearcoat finish 2000 Vette to remove swirls and create a show car finish...

As soon as we're done with this we're going to knock out the single stage enamel paint on this 1949 Chevy Carryall. This will be a landmark detailing day at Autogeek's Show Car Garage!

See everyone bright and early... I'll be there at 6:00am getting things set-up...

Mike Phillips

Setting up for Day 2

Today we're going to use the Optimum and Meguiar's Microfiber Pads Systems on the Corvette with DA Polishers to remove the swirls and then seal the paint with Opti-Coat.

Here's the paint on the Vette before the class...

Some kind of contaminants all over the paint, some have a rush color to them, should be perfect for the Iron-X demonstration.

Some kind of stain spots all over the paint...

And of course swirls...

We ended Saturday by washing and claying the exterior and here's how it looks in the garage right now...

So first thing today we'll finish this Corvette using the Meguiar's and the Optimum Microfiber pads and matching products.

Wetsanding, Cutting and Buffing
    While the everyone cycles through working on the Corvette we'll also have dampsanding and rotary buffer stations set up on black practice hoods.

We'll be using the same hood I used in this article and anyone that wants to try to create a swirl free finish using only a rotary buffer is welcome to try.

Hologram Free with a Rotary Buffer

1949 Chevrolet Carryall Extreme Makeover
    After the Vette is finished we tackle the 1949 Chevrolet Carryall using Pinnacle Polishes and Flex Polishers plus PC's, Megs and Griot's DA Polishers.

All the paint on the Carryall looks like this...

And sometime around noon today Yancy will be here to broadcast the class live!

Time to go set up for today's Detail Boot Camp Class!

Mike Phillips

Class is over and and it's time to clean up and then close down Autogeek's Show Car Garage... here's a couple pictures of the cars we worked on and our students. More pictures on Monday...

Huge thank you to everyone that attended, you were all great students and I hope you all had just as much fun as Nick and I...

Post Thanks / Like

Just add Detailing Boot Camp to my reasons to want to live in Florida.....
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike and all the people at AG, thanks for an awesome weekend! That class was incredibly informative, an awesome learning experience, and the $200 gift certificate was pretty awesome too! How hands on the class was definitely played a huge role in how happy I was with it, the fact that we all got to try out every product you covered. Have a great week!

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool! Looks like a lot of fun and a great experience.

I really wanted to go, but just couldn't swing it. Hopefully next time...

My name is Ted and I'm a Auto Geek!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpegs13 View Post
    Just add Detailing Boot Camp to my reasons to want to live in Florida.....
    Good reason to move to FL. For the winter anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarelane View Post
    Very cool! Looks like a lot of fun and a great experience.

I really wanted to go, but just couldn't swing it. Hopefully next time...

Do Whatever it takes.

Seriously though, Thank You Bob (Max) McKee for making the space, products and AG personell available to make this weekend happen. Thank you Mike Phillips for planning and conducting a flawless program. Thank you Nick, your help and knowledge contributed much to a smooth continuous program. Thank you Yancy for sharing some of our experience with forum members unable to attend.

We had a great group. On Sunday we did 2 stage correction, IPA wipe down, applied Opticoat to one half and C-Quartz to the other half of the Corvette. The Carryall got Clayed, two stage correction and machine waxed. This was all done by 3PM. We pretty much forgot about breaks and did lunch in about 25 minutes.

Damp sanding and polishing out the sanding marks to a swirl free finish also went on concurrently with polishing and coating the Vette. Ag has black painted hoods on solid stands for practice.

Self motivation was also evident. A couple members of the class took it upon themselves to clean and polish the grill on the Carryall. WOW talk about a finishing touch.

Thank you classmates. It is a pleasure and a privilege to have met, learned and worked with everyone of you this weekend. Best wishes and regards to all of you.

More later....

Classmembers Cars
    Fred R. Elias Jr.
    Warren, MI. 48091
    1-586-755-1245

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWax View Post
    Hey Mike and all the people at AG, thanks for an awesome weekend! That class was incredibly informative, an awesome learning experience, and the $200 gift certificate was pretty awesome too!
    It was a genuine pleasure meeting you Max, I always enjoy meeting the people behind the Avatars on our forum. You are not only a very hard worker with a true passion for this craft but a genuinely nice and very polite as well as professional young man. Your parents must be very proud

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWax View Post
    How hands on the class was definitely played a huge role in how happy I was with it, the fact that we all got to try out every product you covered. Have a great week!
    I think it's important to incorporate as much hands-on action as possible in any type of detailing class, people learn best by doing...

Thank you for attending our class here at Autogeek, you were a excellent student and it was a real pleasure having you participate in all the projects we tackled.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast