autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pictures & Comments from January 29th Detailing 101 Class

Was the finishing polish used, the WG Finsihing Glaze..?...wow, the shine on that car is absolutely stunning. I have that product, but haven't used it yet. I hope to when the weather allows. Its amazing what can be done with a DA polisher and the right pads/product.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rodger Johnson View Post
    The 101 class was an awesome experience, and the 102 class was even more awesome. It's amazing to see the people from the different walks of life, and locations of the U.S., come together with an interest in car detailing. I had a blast. It also goes to show how much I thought I knew about car detailing and how much I really did not know. I recommend the classes to anyone, no matter his/her expertise level. We all can learn something new and see how others do it too.

Thanks again Mike.
    Rodger It was a pleasure meeting you at the class. It is something that we live a few miles apart and met each other 10 hours away! LOL!! Anyway..Good luck with you buisness, I know it is getting ready to really take off!!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    Was the finishing polish used, the WG Finishing Glaze..?...wow, the shine on that car is absolutely stunning.

I have that product, but haven't used it yet. I hope to when the weather allows. Its amazing what can be done with a DA polisher and the right pads/product.
    Yes.

We used the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover, followed by the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze followed by Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0, which I applied to the entire car on Monday morning as well as I polished out the passenger side headlight to match the driver's side headlight, which we polished out during the class.

These were all taken Monday morning right before I returned the car to the rental company.

If you look at the paint just to the right of the headlight you can see where the actual colored or pigmented layer of paint with the metallic flake in it has faded UNDER the clear coat. No amount of polishing with any product can fix this as it's under the clear.

Look for an article in the future on the topic of fading.

Headlights were both yellow when the car arrived, now they are both clear again, we used the Wolfgang™ Plastik Lens Cleaning System with the new FLEX PE14-2-150 Rotary Polisher

Taking the paint on a 2003 Ford Taurus to its maximum potential...

Parting shot...

Post Thanks / Like

Does the rental car company make you pay for these cars or do they "loan" them to you guys now since you return them looking good as new? Just curious.
    I have a 2001 Taurus, tan color, that is my test car but I haven't seen the paint pop like your red one. I think it has a lot to do with the red vs. tan though.

Great documentation and thanks for sharing all those pictures.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Thanx for posting the pics Mike. Was curious as to how well it came out in the end. Needless to say, GREEEAT!

Bill

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by FastZR1 View Post
    Does the rental car company make you pay for these cars or do they "loan" them to you guys now since you return them looking good as new? Just curious.
    I've always just "rented" them and then returned them and factored that as a part of the cost of holding class where the students can work on a car and have a great experience.

I have a 2001 Taurus, tan color, that is my test car but I haven't seen the paint pop like your red one. I think it has a lot to do with the red vs. tan though.
    I agree. Medium to dark colors, especially metallics offer more in the way of gloss and beauty because of the color.

Light colors, like tans, whites, silver metallics, just don't offer the ability for dramatic before and after pictures.

Great documentation and thanks for sharing all those pictures.
    Ed

Thank you.

Getting great pictures is half the battle, the other half is sorting through them all then getting them all uploaded and inserted into a thread so they are easy to see forever...

"Attaching" pictures just doesn't work for this type of thing.

I still have my Canon photos to go through but have a lot on my plate due to the TV show right now. We're shooting commercials on Friday and Saturday, plus some other segments right here in our Studio, the same place we were polishing, sanding, and buffing just a few days ago...

I have a 1954 Ford F150 coming down tonight for some recommendations too... I'll post a few pics later after the owner and his truck leaves...

Post Thanks / Like

I attended the Saturday class with Mike and my fellow students and had a great time both learning new techniques and refining old. Mike is very patient with all and believe it showed with the results of our test subject car. The opportunity to try all the various machines out on the market was invaluable. Unfortunately family duties required that I missed the Sunday wet sanding class but will make sure to attend the next one.
    Burt aka Ruby

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby13 View Post

The opportunity to try all the various machines out on the market was invaluable.
    This is one of the cool things about Autogeek's classes, you get a chance to test out all types of polishers, pads and products and this helps you to get a really good feel for the tools and most people are surprised and what they experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby13 View Post

Unfortunately family duties required that I missed the Sunday wet sanding class but will make sure to attend the next one.

Burt aka Ruby

It was nice meeting you Burt and our next Detailing 102 Advanced Class will be in April.

Mike Phillips

Do you want to attend a Detailing Class?

Do you want to learn the art of polishing paint to remove swirls, scratches, water spots and even orange peel?

Then send me an e-mail...

If you want to be notified when the next Detailing 101 and 102 classes are scheduled, then please send me an e-mail, (not a Private Message), with the subject

Class Request

to Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net

Mike Phillips

Bump

One of the students in this class showing that where there's a will there's a way....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123