autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Pictures from June 26th Open Garage at Autogeek's Show Car Garage!

Pictures from June 26th Open Garage at Autogeek's Show Car Garage!

Had a lot of fun here at Autogeek's casual "Open Garage" class today, everyone had a chance to work on their own car to remove swirls, scratches and water spots as well as a chance to test out all the different tools and a host of different pads and products...

Thank you to everyone who attended today!

Everyone had a chance to test out the Flex 3401

Everyone had a chance to test out the Cyclo Polisher...

Next up was the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher...

After that the Meguiar's G110v2

After that the Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher...

Mike Phillips

Re: Pictures from June 26th Open Garage at Autogeek's Show Car Garage!

After that everyone had a chicane to try out Dampsanding and then removing sanding marks with different tools...

First we moved out the personal cars...

Then we pulled in our victim, err... I mean the rental car...

The finish on the rental car was completely filled with car wash scratches so the most we could do was make it look better...

A couple lessons on technique...

And then everyone had a chance to try out dampsanding...

After sanding down the hood we then buffed out the sanding marks to restore a high gloss shine...

Mike Phillips

After sanding, we used Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover to remove the sanding marks and then followed this with Advanced Finishing Polish to polish the paint to a high gloss. After that we sealed the paint using DP Poli-Coat.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait to get home and try out what I learned today. Using aggressive polishes or a rotary has always intimidated me. I’m ready to get home and come up with a plan to take remove the light scratches and water spot damage on my personal cars. I’ll make sure I post some pictures so you can see the results of your expert advice.

Thanks to Mike and all the staff at Autogeek for putting on a great event!

Mike Phillips

Everyone had a chance to work on their own car and learn anything specific as it related to the defects they were trying to remove...

Elvis uses the "Baggie Test" to check for above surface bonded contaminants on John's Honda Pilot.

John and Elvis remove scuffs and scratches using a 4" Spot Repair Pad and some Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover with the PC 7424XP

Plenty of room to pull 3 full size cars into the Show Car Garage Studio!

Rob goes after swirls and scratches using a Griot's Garage 6" ROB with some Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover.

Russ had some very deep etching spots that looked like some kind of industrial fallout... Russ wanted to learn how to use the rotary buffer so he tested out the Flex 3403 and the Makita 9227C

Russ let Dirk test out the Makita on his car also...

After we removed all the swirls, scratches and etchings out of the hood yours truly applied Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax using a PC 7424XP to show how to apply a paste by machine.

Kind of hard to see but that's a Microfiber Glove on my left hand and I'm holding the Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax in the glove...

Swirl free show car finish...

Thanks for letting us work on your car Russ!

Having fun at Autogeek's Show Car Garage!

Post Thanks / Like

WOW, what a great time today! Thanks Mike and Staff for the fun filled day. I probably bombarded Mike with a Zillion questions and as the professional that he is, everyone of them was answered without hesitation.
    Many of the products were applied on different cars and all of the rotary/DA's with different pad combo's were used. It was a great experience to try each one and determine which is best fit for YOU. The day flew by quickly and the Garage is top notch!
    I would recommend anyone interested in learning and gaining some experience to take advantage of these classes because I know I feel a lot more comfortable applying and using the tools/products that I own. Looking forward to the next class Mike !

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike the class was great. It is very daunting to work on the paint of a car you treasure, however the knowledge you passed along to us left me with the confidence to continue on my own without so much fear. It was also refreshing to meet some other "geeks". My neighbors are always kidding me about how much work I put in on my cars, so the company was welcome. Thanks to the Autogeek staff for helping as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like it was a great and fun event! I can't believe someone would entrust the surface of their $50k+ Cobra to others just learning the ropes - especially black! That just goes to show how generous and cool the members at AGO are. I would love to learn these techniques hands on as well, especially from someone like Mike who I believe is simply tops in the entire industry
    "Don't Drive Dull!"
    Carsmetic Rehabilitation Detailologist: Aesthetic Actualization

Post Thanks / Like

As being a newbie to all of this, I wanted to stress the importance of proper technique as Mike repeatedly reminded me of. Always put the power cord over your shoulder and do not let it drag or as you can see in the photo, the cord rubs against the car. After a couple of tries I think I finally got the hang of it. As you can see from my smile, I had a great time at AG !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pictures from June 26th Open Garage at Autogeek's Show Car Garage!-wrong-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work guys
    If you can't convinced them confuse them

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast