autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pictures & Comments from October 4th, 2009 Sunday Detailing 102 - Advanced Class

This class was a lot of fun. As a group very few of us had ever held a rotary, let alone placed wool down on paint and tried to pull sanding marks. Thanks to Mikes instructions and demonstrations the learning curve was not as big as I assumed. I was amazed at the results a group of first timers could achieve.

I was able to see first hand the benefits of SMAT, DA vs hand sanding, and learned why this type of sanding and buffing is primarily done on thicker fresh paint, not factory baked thin clear cotes. I know I'll be applying much of what I learned in my future restoration project.

Thanks for the opportunity

Craig

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pictures & Comments from October 4th, 2009 Sunday Detailing 102 - Advanced Class

Mike is a good guy, and he's good at teaching. It was nice to meet some of the (autogeek) people behind the scenes, check out the warehouse, and get an idea of how things operate. Everyone I met seemed like nice people.

As far as the class itself, there was a definite focus on Meguiars product line, which I completely understand seeing as how that is Mikes area of expertise, but I would have liked to learn about some other technologies and different product lines. Hopefully in future classes the range of focus can be expanded a bit in that area.

Otherwise it was great being able to pick up and use different types of equipment and get a chance to hand and machine sand a hood, use rotaries, DAs, etc. Overall it was worthwhile (600 mile drive each way for me) and there were a few tips, guidlines, and techniques that I learned during the "classroom" part also. I thank Mike for taking the time to teach the class and answer questions, and I thank Autogeek for providing the tools, equipment, and location for it to be held. It was fun and I hope it continues to expand and become more popular

- Taylor E
    Last edited by Col. Mustard; 10-05-2009 at 10:00 PM.

Mike Phillips

Here's a few pictures from our first Advanced Class here at Autogeek!

More tomorrow!

Post Thanks / Like

The pic you got of the Flex DA removong the DA wet sanding would be pretty cool.
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by sullysdetailing View Post
    The pic you got of the Flex DA removing the DA wet sanding would be pretty cool.
    Usually my file folders are set up for "Details" view in Windows XP so all the photos are listed in the order/time stamp they were taken. Then I go through and rename, crop out the fluff, upload and insert them also, in the order in which they were taken.

Since the Flex DA pictures you're referring to were some of the last photos from the class, they'll be some of the last photos I upload and post.

Hopefully I'll get to the rest of the pictures tomorrow.

Mike Phillips

After sanding, everyone learned how to properly pick up a bead of product, spread it out and then begin working a section of paint to remove the sanding marks.

More to come!

Mike Phillips

Everyone also had a chance to check out and use the pad washer and the pad cleaning and conditioning brushes...

Next up, polishing with a rotary buffer to remove any swirls left behind by the compound and the wool pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice pictures Mike they came out great. I cant wait for the MGB
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

Post Thanks / Like

I see Adam is back.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Mike Phillips

After removing our sanding marks using rotary buffers, wool pads and Meguiar's M105, next we removed any haze or swirls using Meguiar's foam polishing pads on rotary buffers using M205

More to come!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast