autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pictures: 2020 September 3-Day Detailing Bootcamp Class

Thank you Mike, Autogeek Crew and Boot Camp attendees, the job that you did on my 51 Ford F1 truck is amazing.

I appreciate the work that was done on it and hope you were able to gain some useful information while working on it.

Thanks again Autogeek and crew.

David

2. Thanks Mike Hoekstra, Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Likes mc2hill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like another great class completed. The variety of vehicles to train on is what helps this class be great. Keep up the good work when you return home from this class.

Post Thanks / Like

Framed and going on the wall with my IDA certificates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

5. Likes PaulMys, Thomkirby liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for everything! I had Such a great time didn't want it to end😏

7. Likes Mike Hoekstra liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey Mike View Post

This was a fantastic experience. It was something I chose to do, so that I could elevate my own personal skill level, but be able to go home and share knowledge with my fellow detailing friends.

There are teachers, and then there are teachers who can actually teach. Mike, you are the latter. You are able to convey your message in a clear and understandable fashion for anyone to follow. It's 100% of the reason that I've been watching your YouTube video's, and self-educating, since I started this "hobby" 6 years ago, and have now turned it in to a business.

Being able to speak with the company reps on-hand, work hands-on with the variety of tools and products, and to network/gain insight from fellow detailers and industry experts is invaluable. Particularly for a new start-up like myself.

Joining the IDA, and taking my SV test today was also a good experience. Not only does it show that I am taking my detailing seriously, it tells any customer that contacts me that I can be trusted with their vehicle without saying a word.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and knowledge.

Thank you for taking the class Mike, I appreciate your trust. As advertised - this is the most hands-on class on Planet Earth.

It was great to meet and work with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey Mike View Post

And in a very twisted irony, my wife and I went in to a jewelry store today and one of the owners showed me an ad for a pickup that was for sale. I laughed when he showed me the brown and white "beater" detail, then told him that was part of our class and showed him the before pictures I had on my phone.

It's a small world and it's quite cool to have something like that happen.

I agree. I'm hoping SOMEONE at this class may have taken some GOOD before pictures of the 1951 Chevy Truck. I have a few the owner texted me but the truck is in the shade and some shots just are simply not framed-up really well.

And from the first page of this thread,

Here are the results after the class took a Rotary Polisher to the paint!

This and the 1968 Cadillac were the two most dramatic transformations. I'll follow up with the owner when he sells her.

Also - the ORIGINAL PAINT 1975 Plymouth Duster this class detailed is also probably already sold. The person thinking about buying it was "concerned" my class would destroy the paint. They must not know who we are.

The SAFEST hands for that original paint on the Duster was exactly where it needed to be - one of my 3-day classes.

And it came out freaking AMAZING too!

Quote Originally Posted by DMiglio View Post

What an awesome set of cars and huge turnout!!

Everybody should be proud of themselves and the work they did on some special and unique vehicles.
    Agree. Great class all-around - great people and incredible selection of training cars.

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post

Based on these pics I counted 17 ...
    I believe this is correct. This class detailed 17 cars in 3 days. That's 5.6 cars per day.

Not only was this a record for myself and Autogeek - I'm going to guess there's never been a detailing class anywhere on Planet Earth where the students were able to detail this many cars in a single class. 100% HANDS-ON, no chairs, no sitting.

Just pure detailing fun.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Legends47 View Post

Thank you Mike, Autogeek Crew and Boot Camp attendees, the job that you did on my 51 Ford F1 truck is amazing.

I appreciate the work that was done on it and hope you were able to gain some useful information while working on it.

David

Hi David,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback on the forum, it's very much appreciated. I think we were both surprised to find out your 1951 Ford F1 had SINGLE STAGE GREEN PAINT!

For everyone reading this into the future, this is a really NICE build, I would even say magazine quality - it's that nice. It just needed a true show car detail.

Here's the single stage paint on some of the pads the classed used before I throw them into the washing machine.

And from the first page of this thread - here's the incredible freaking show car results! And keep in mind, for many in this class, it was the first time they had ever used a Rotary Polisher.

Thanks again David!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Legends47 View Post

David

I wish I had the pleasure of working on your truck, but I will say based on the pics, that’s a beautiful truck and color combo perfectly befitting of it!
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Mike Phillips

Continued....

As I type it's the Wednesday after the 3-day class. On Monday we do IDA Skills Validation Testing, (Phase II), and then the Boss gives me Tuesday off to recharge my batteries, then Wednesday I return to work and start playing catch-up. First thing I do is start doing paper work. Things like expense reports, new product inventory forms, profit & loss worksheet and forms for the IDA Skills Validation tests.

While I'm getting paper work caught up I also start laundry. The washing machine and dryer can be going while I do desk work and it's MUCH BETTER to wash buffing pads and microfiber towels as soon as possible.

During the class I was asked this question....

Can you re-use buffing pads used for Single Stage Paint?

My answer was "yes". Then today, if you look above this post you'll see the buffing pads with green single stage paint on them. Below is how these exact same pads look after washing and drying.

Here's the same pads you see above with GREEN paint on them as they come out of the old school Agitator style washing machine. Impressive.

Here I've laid them out to the best of my ability like you see in the BEFORE picture above in post #16

I'm actually impressed with how clean the various pads from RUPES, Buff & Shine, Griot's Garage and Lake Country came out! I'll let these pads air dry for the rest of today and then put them back in the storage cabinets tomorrow.

In the meantime, next I'm washing the pads used to buff out the single stage GOLD paint on the 1968 Cadillac.

The paint is GOLD but the pads are turning BLACK?

What's going?

This is a single stage metallic paint finish and the black you see is oxidation on the aluminum flake. It's the same kind of oxidation you would see on some aluminum wheels. When you buff single stage metallic paint - it turns your pads black with oxidation.

Pile 'O Pads ready to wash

First mix your laundry soap so it can mix with the water. Then add your pads. Like I share in this article,

The OCD Method of Washing Microfiber Towels

This is the NEW RUPES DA Fine yellow foam polishing pad. This is the back side, just wanted to let you see it is in fact the new RUPES pad.

Here's side shot - you can see the black on the face of the pad and the clean yellow color on the side of the pad.

And here's the face of the pad - black with aluminum oxidation.

Going into the washing machine with all the rest of the blackened pads...

Mmmm.... yummy - 1968 Cadillac Single Stage Paint Soup

Hang tight....

Post Thanks / Like

I notice on the 1951 Chevy there is some chipping and rust on the corner of the hood, as well and what looks like blistering and rust bleeding on one of the doors.

I've never polished a vehicle with these issues and wonder what you do around those spots?

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlySheds View Post

I notice on the 1951 Chevy there is some chipping and rust on the corner of the hood, as well and what looks like blistering and rust bleeding on one of the doors.

I've never polished a vehicle with these issues and wonder what you do around those spots?

I showed the class how to buff the hell out of that truck and it came out just as expected - Freaking Amazing!

I call detailing this category of vehicle,

Beater Detailing

This truck was BEAT. The class used rotary polishers and just laid into her. Around any paint that was lifting - of course you work carefully. Besides that - we pushed HARD on the polishers and carved off years of oxidized paint. The end results are nothing short of incredible.

As noted above - I'm doing laundry and filling out paper work, lots of paper work. Tomorrow I'm shooting a few videos and our LIVE Detailing Class. Friday, I have some cars to detail.

BUT sometime next week I should be able to get to the pictures showing the people in this class buffing out all the cars including the 1951 Chevy.

Like Jeff shown here CHOPPING on the rusty chrome grill using the UDOS in rotary mode....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast