autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pictures: 2020 September 3-Day Detailing Bootcamp Class

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I showed the class how to buff the hell out of that truck and it came out just as expected - Freaking Amazing!

I call detailing this category of vehicle,

Beater Detailing

This truck was BEAT. The class used rotary polishers and just laid into her. Around any paint that was lifting - of course you work carefully. Besides that - we pushed HARD on the polishers and carved off years of oxidized paint. The end results are nothing short of incredible.

As noted above - I'm doing laundry and filling out paper work, lots of paper work. Tomorrow I'm shooting a few videos and our LIVE Detailing Class. Friday, I have some cars to detail.

BUT sometime next week I should be able to get to the pictures showing the people in this class buffing out all the cars including the 1951 Chevy.

Like Jeff shown here CHOPPING on the rusty chrome grill using the UDOS in rotary mode....

The transformation is nothing short of incredible!

In a spot like on the door where there was what looked to be a blistering rust spot, would you tape that off and not buff it at all, or would you just lightly go around it and hope none of the blistering peels off in a chunk?

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlySheds View Post

The transformation is nothing short of incredible!
    The owner was going to get the truck painted - not now.

In a spot like on the door where there was what looked to be a blistering rust spot, would you tape that off and not buff it at all, or would you just lightly go around it and hope none of the blistering peels off in a chunk?

One of the things I teach and stress in my detail classes is,

Don't do stupid stuff

So I told/taught the class to not buff on any areas of paint where it looks like if the edge of your buffing pad were to CATCH on "something" then don't buff ON IT - just buff around it. All you have to do is look at where the edge of your buffing pad is and slow-down and be careful.

Maybe you'll have the opportunity to take one of my classes some day. They are a lot of fun. There are ZERO other classes like this one.

3. Likes axel06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The owner was going to get the truck painted - not now.

One of the things I teach and stress in my detail classes is,

Don't do stupid stuff

So I told/taught the class to not buff on any areas of paint where it looks like if the edge of your buffing pad were to CATCH on "something" then don't buff ON IT - just buff around it. All you have to do is look at where the edge of your buffing pad is and slow-down and be careful.

Maybe you'll have the opportunity to take one of my classes some day. They are a lot of fun. There are ZERO other classes like this one.

Would absolutely love to... Not sure my wife would consider it a very fun vacation tho! Hahaha

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

My answer was "yes". Then today, if you look above this post you'll see the buffing pads with green single stage paint on them. Below is how these exact same pads look after washing and drying.

Here's the same pads you see above with GREEN paint on them as they come out of the old school Agitator style washing machine. Impressive.

What detergent did you use on them ? Must be a whole lot better than what I am using (Griot's MF & Pad Cleaner) in my "old school agitator-style" machine.

Mike Phillips

Continued....

So here's what I posted yesterday about washing the OXIDIZED ALUMINUM out of the foam pads used on the 1968 Cadillac

In the meantime, next I'm washing the pads used to buff out the single stage GOLD paint on the 1968 Cadillac.

The paint is GOLD but the pads are turning BLACK?

What's going?

This is a single stage metallic paint finish and the black you see is oxidation on the aluminum flake. It's the same kind of oxidation you would see on some aluminum wheels. When you buff single stage metallic paint - it turns your pads black with oxidation.

Pile 'O Pads ready to wash

First mix your laundry soap so it can mix with the water. Then add your pads. Like I share in this article,

The OCD Method of Washing Microfiber Towels

This is the NEW RUPES DA Fine yellow foam polishing pad. This is the back side, just wanted to let you see it is in fact the new RUPES pad.

Here's side shot - you can see the black on the face of the pad and the clean yellow color on the side of the pad.

And here's the face of the pad - black with aluminum oxidation.

Going into the washing machine with all the rest of the blackened pads...

Mmmm.... yummy - 1968 Cadillac Single Stage Paint Soup

Hang tight....

Here's the pads coming out of the washing machine and into the clothes dryer and then placed back on the table like the BEFORE shot.

Remember - these were all BLACK before washing....

NEW RUPES yellow polishing pad and Buff and Shine yellow Uro-Tech polishing pad

Griot's Garage Orange Correcting Pad

NEW LC Power TOOLS UDOS Foam Cutting Pad - These are a dark army green to start with and it's completely clean.

Another NEW RUPES DA Yellow Fine Foam Polishing Pad - See pictures above for how I shared all three sides

Into the clothes dryer...

Coming out of the clothes dryer - Yes those are my feet.

I'm the Director of Training AND the Head of Laundry and Floor Cleaning.

And here's the pads used to buff out the 1968 Cadillac AFTER washing.

Here's the BEFORE shot for super context....

And I normally use,

BLACKFIRE Microfiber Cleaner & Restorer 128 ounce or 1-gallon $49.99

I order 4 gallons at a time to keep up with all the pads and microfiber towels we use here at the Geekaroonie.

Back to paperwork.

7. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Would absolutely love to... Not sure my wife would consider it a very fun vacation tho! Hahaha
    Actually - we have husbands and wives attend and the husband that's not attending or the wife that's not attending does Tourist Stuff. Happens all the time. Happened in this class. I know Mike H. brought his wife.

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post

What detergent did you use on them ? Must be a whole lot better than what I am using (Griot's MF & Pad Cleaner) in my "old school agitator-style" machine.
    I normally use the BF Microfiber Detergent but to be honest - I'll use whatever is back there. Often times we have microfiber cleaning products, multiple brands, that are damaged when shipping to Autogeek or were somehow damaged when Autogeek shipped to end-customer and then returned.

I think as long as you use a quality brand it's the most you can do. The key is the technique I shared previously in my article here,

The OCD Method of Washing Microfiber Towels

NOW - LET THE AGITATOR MIX THE DETERGENT AND WATER TOGETHER FOR A UNIFORM SOAPY MIXTURE

Then add your laundry...

AND - wash as soon as possible. In a perfect world, you wash immediately while the pads are still WET with whatever product you're using and whatever paint or gel-coat is coming of the "thing" you're buffing.

Letting pads dry for days seems to just cement the ick into them and onto them.

Just what I've seen over the last 20 to 30 years detailing cars. FWIW

Mike Phillips

Continued....

Yancy was here on Friday and Saturday to take pictures, also on Sunday. So what you're looking at is the artistic style of Yancy Martinez to capture what our 3-day hands-on detailing class looks like with the best of my ability to pick the pictures that tell a story, crop and resize them and then add them to this thread.

These will be in order, (more or less), of the flow of the class starting Friday morning.

I'll add some words after I get all the pictures added for these first three cars the class detailed Friday morning.

Mike Phillips

More photo-documentation of people using tools working on cars - not sitting in chairs looking at a wall.

Mike Phillips

And more....

Final Results

And here's how the first THREE cars came out the first morning of the first day of class.

1987 Ferrari 328 GTS

2015 Alfa Romeo 4C

2016 Maserati Ghibli

Here's the class that did their magic!

Here's Andre and Chris Metcalf joking around....

This first class session was on short stroke free spinning random orbital polishers with Buff & Shine Uro-Tec buffing pads and Dr. Beasley's NSP Primers and Nano-Resin Coating.

I'm happy to say using the above tools, pads and products - all three cars came out looking perfect.

12. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

And more....

The next tool set I cover is RUPES. When I teach the RUPES class it's full-on RUPES. You use RUPES tools, pads and products. AND - you get to train on cool cars.

When is the last time you saw the owners of two cool classic Corvettes and a convertible Firebird let absolute strangers train on them?

And here's the final results.....

And the class that made the magic happen....

Nice work everyone!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast