autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Pictures: May 2019 Detailing Bootcamp Class at Autogeek with Mike Phillips

Pictures: May 2019 Detailing Bootcamp Class at Autogeek with Mike Phillips

If you attended this class and you're NEW to a discussion forum - look at the below pictures

Now onto the pictures from your class.

Also - anyone reading this coming to a future class here at Autogeek in Stuart, Florida or to one of my Roadshow Classes - this is what you get to do too.

Friday

Here's is the Flow Chart that kept us on track.

Here you can see the cars to be detailed on Friday and Saturday

And according to the plan, here's the first two cars you detailed starting at 8:00am Friday morning.

Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher, which as you all learned is a 8mm Free Spinning Polisher. The 6" in the name of the tool has to do with the size of the backing plate that comes with the tool and nothing to do with the tool itself. We also used Pinnacle products and Buff & Shine Pads

1941 Cadillac

1947 Chevy Pickup Streetrod

Group Shot!

Next up we went over the RUPES BigFoot Paint Polishing System using all RUPES pads and products.

2013 Toyota Avalon

2011 Acura RDX

Group Shot!

The next two cars you used the Griot's BOSS Paint Polishing System including the BOSS long stroke polishers and BOSS pads, compounds and polishes.

1972 Ford Limited Edition Sprint Mustang - 48,000 original miles

2014 Mustang 5.0 with a Roush Super Charger

(Still looking for the group shot)

The above 6 cars were all detailed on Friday! That's a lot of cars and a LOT of tools, pads, products and techniques to learn and each one of the cars came out PERFECT!

Saturday

On Saturday morning we went over all the tools, products and techniques for washing cars including also,

• Glass polishing
    • Engine detailing

Then we moved back into the air-conditioned garage and picked up on the Flow Chart where we left off Friday night.

The below two cars you learned how to use FLEX Power Tools with SONAX products and Lake Country Pads.

2016 Jaguar F Type S

2006 Bentley Continental Flying Spur

Group Shot!

Then for the last part of Saturday used learned Production Detailing OR One Step Detailing. By this time you had used and learned the following tools,

1. Griot's Garage 6" Random Oribital Polisher - Free Spinning
    2. Griot's Garage 3" Random Orbital Polisher - Free Spinning
    3. RUPES BigFoot 21 Random Orbital Polisher - Free Spinning
    4. RUPES BigFoot 15 Random Orbital Polisher - Free Spinning
    5. RUPES BigFoot Duetto Random Orbital Polisher - Free Spinning
    6. RUPES BigFoot Mini Random Orbital Polisher - Free Spinning
    7. RUPES BigFoot Mille Random Orbital Polisher - 5mm Gear Driven
    8. RUPES Nano in rotary mode and orbital mode
    9. Griot's BOSS 21 Random Orbital Polisher - Free Spinning
    10. Griot's Boss 15 Random Orbital Polisher - Free Spinning
    11. FLEX XC 3401 VRG - 8mm Gear driven aka The BEAST!
    12. FLEX XFE7-15 - 15mm Random Orbital Polisher - Free Spinning
    13. FLEX CBEAST - Cordless version of the BEAST
    14. FLEX Cordless Finisher

Now you learn how to use a super high quality one-step cleaner/wax called BLACKFIRE One Step only now you get to choose any tool you've already used but want to re-visit or spend more time with.

2000 Honda CRV

1961 Cadillac Series 75 Formal Sedan

Group Shot!

By the time you detailed the above 10 cars not only did you stay on track with the Flow Chart but all cars came out swirl free and looking ready to be put on display at a car show.

Sunday

Wetsanding by hand and machine

Now that you've learned all the orbital polishers, next you learned how to hand sand and machine sand PLUS my own technique I call,

Scuff & Buff

Both cars came out AMAZING!

2019 Mustang Convertible

1954 Ford F100 Pickup Streetrod

Group Shot!

You were all amazing and the results speak loud and clear to showcase your talent and skill.

2. Likes JKDesign, macsm5 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Pictures from the May 2019 Detailing Bootcamp Class at Autogeek with Mike Phillips

More....

Here's the class of May 2019!

If anyone would like the full size file of their pictures to have it printed out just shoot me an e-mail.

Nicole

Billy

Campbell

Dave Harris

Bob

Jeremy

Jordan

Nancy

Chuck

Brian

Vincente

Robyn

Dave

Tom

Stephen

Marquez

Anthony

Michael

Ashley

Group shot at the end of the class...

4. Likes axel06, JKDesign liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Pictures from the May 2019 Detailing Bootcamp Class at Autogeek with Mike Phillips

More to come....

Friday Morning - Multiple-Step or Show Car Detailing

For true restored classics, muscle cars or in this case streetrods. I teach the students how to use a waterless wash. The reason why is because as a Professional Detailer you don't use a water hose and running water and introduce water into places you cannot dry and thus could cause a rust issue. It's a Best Practice and a professional courtesy to the owner of the vehicle.

Products

Pinnacle Waterless Wash
    Pinnacle Ultra Poly Ultra Fine Grade Clay and Clay Lube
    Pinnacle Advanced Compound
    Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish
    Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax
    Pinnacle Liquid Souveran Wax

Tools

Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher
    This is an 8mm free spinning random orbital polisher. The number 6 in the name of this tool has NOTHING to do with the tool except that Griot's sells it with a 6" backing plate. I remove the 6" backing plates and replace them with 5" backing plates because this optimizes the tool for best performance and makes it easier to learn how to use and master. I wish Griot's would update their marketing practice and stop selling this tool with 6" backing plates. It would be a blessing to everyone that invests in their tool.

Griot's 3" Mini Polisher
    This is a 5mm free spinning random orbital polisher and when used with THIN pads it works great.

Buffing pads

For the Griot's 6" polisher we used Buff & Shine Uro-Tech pads

For the Griot's 3" polisher we used Griot's BOSS pads in 2" and 3" as well as Lake Country ThinPro 3" pads.

Here's what a hands-on training class looks like step-by-step....

Step 1: Using a waterless wash to remove loose dirt and dust.

Step 2: Claying to remove contaminants

Test Spot
    Sorry, not pictures showing me teaching the class how and why to do a test spot before buffing out an entire car.

Step 3: Machine Compounding

In this shot the class is finishing up the compounding for both vehicles....

Step 4: Machine polishing

Finishing up the polishing step - using Forrest Green Edgeless Microfiber Towels for the final polish removal

Metal polishing
    In my 3-day classes - because I teach show car detailing on REAL show cars. I also cover how to machine polish chrome, nickel and stainless steel trim, grills and bumpers. This why you see people wiping these areas in the above pictures.

Step 5: Machine applying finishing waxes

There are two types of waxes; there are finishing waxes and cleaner/waxes. You don't use a cleaner/wax on paint you just compound and polished as this would be what I call, working backwards. Finishing waxes are also called show car waxes. It's important to know the difference if you want to present yourself as a professional or an expert in car detailing and of course, I cover all of this and more in all of my classes.

Step 6: Removing the wax

Note the microfiber gloves and the super soft edgeless towels. It takes HOURS to buff out a car and only SECONDS to put scratches back into the paint. At this stage of the process I go over a technique I teach call,

Breaking open the wax

Results

Now here's what show cars should look like.

My comments...

The above two show cars both came here contaminated, (above surface bonded contaminants like overspray paint), and both cars were filled with swirls and scratches.

Out of the 12 cars this class will detail these were the MOST expensive cars and the 2 cars in the worst shape. The people attending this class came from all walks of life. Some had experience machine buffing and some had ZERO EXPERINENCE. In my classes you learn the art and craft of machine polishing to perfection but you also learn how to work as a team and often times make lifelong friends.

These classes are HARD. But they are also fun and rewarding.

My 3-day classes START at 7:30am SHARP. These people never sat in a chair until Sunday. By 8:00am, after going over some basic safety and then going over techniques they were working on these two magazine quality cars.

After just these two cars everyone's confidence level as well as skill level and knowledge level.

You cannot learn what these people learned with just the first two cars they detailed by watching YouTube videos. Hands-on learning, hands-on training is light years above watching a video. Plus - just because it's a video on YouTube that doesn't mean the information presented is accurate.

And the above is just 2 of 12 cars this class will detail. And here's the people that made the magic happen!

6. Likes JKDesign liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued....

RUPES Paint Polishing System!

As a professional courtesy to the RUPES company and Guido Valentini, the President of RUPES as well as the people that attend my classes, I always teach my RUPES class as intended as the RUPES SYSTEM.

That is when you take my RUPES class you use,

• RUPES tools
    • RUPES products
    • RUPES pads

And at the end of all my classes everyone gets a copy of my RUPES how-to book.

Because I cover SO MANY car washing tools, products and techniques - we don't wash cars in my 3-day class until the second day.

So in my RUPES class we cover,

1. Waterless wash using RUPES Rapid Cleaner Detailer
    2. Nanoskin Towels (at the time of this class RUPES does NOT have their own products for mechanical decontamination)
    3. Test Spot
    4. Paint correction
    5. Ceramic Paint Coating (at the time of this class RUPES does NOT have their own ceramic coatings)

Sorry - no pictures of the class using the RUPES Rapid Cleaner Detailer but this is the product we used to do a waterless wash on the Acura RDX and the Toyota Avalon.

Step 1: Mechanically decontaminate the paint using Nanoskin Towels

Test Spot

I covered how to prime RUPES pads and then how to do a proper Test Spot using their system. I also go over all the different RUPES tools, the pads for each tool and my own tips and techniques for using the different RUPES tools including the Nanos. Then I turn the class loose and let them choose which tools they want to use.

Step 1: Paint Correction

After doing the Test Spot on both cars we went with the RUPES Zephir Gloss Compound and the RUPES blue coarse foam pads, (a few RUPES green pads too).

Step 2: Paint Polishing

After the correction step we went with the RUPES Diamond White Ultra Fine Cut Polish with the RUPES white foam finishing pads.

Step 3: Chemically stripping the paint

To remove any polishing oils left by the RUPES polishes we then chemically stripped the paint using BLACKFIRE Paint Prep with the GYEON Bald Wipe Microfiber Towels, (my personal preference when using solvent on paint is the Bald Wipes). Note the class also machine polished all the glass (Topical Glass Polishing), using the RUPES Zephir Gloss Coarse Compound so they also chemically stripped the glass for the Pinnacle Black Label Glass Coating

Photo Bombing is allowed and encouraged at all my classes.

Love the smile on Marquez face as he wipes down some glass....

Step 4: Installing Pinnacle Black Label Paint Coating

The PBL Paint Coating is one of the easiest ceramic paint coatings to install on the market so I like to introduce people that are new to ceramic coatings to a coating that is easy to use while producing remarkable results.

Here's Ashley spreading the coating over the paint....

Here's Marquez removing any high spots and giving the paint a final buff.

Results

For two mundane daily drivers the gloss and shine are as good and probably better then when these cars left the dealership.

Nice work team!

At this point the class has now detailed 4 cars! 2 more cars to go!

8. Likes JKDesign liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued.....

Griot's Garage BOSS System!

Griot's has an incredible long stroke paint polishing system that includes their BOSS 15mm and 21mm long stroke orbital polishers as well as their BOSS pads and BOSS creams. And the abrasive technology used in the BOSS creams are second to none.

For cars #5 and #6, here's the steps we used....

Step 1: Waterless wash using Griot's Waterless Spray & Wash

(Sorry no pictures, Andre and I are a tick busy when teaching these classes)

Step 2: Mechanically decontaminate
    The Mustang was HORRIBLY contaminated so the class used Nanoskin Towels. The Mustang was only lightly contaminated so the class used detailing clay.

Test Spot

Process

1972 Olympic Universe Mustang Sprint
    Our Test Spot showed the Mustang to have incredibly hard paint so we cut it with the BOSS Fast Correction Cream/BOSS White Foam Cutting Pads and then we machine applied the BOSS Finishing Sealant using the BOSS Black Foam Finishing Pads.

2014 Mustang 5.0
    The Mustang had much softer paint. We used the BOSS Correction Cream with the BOSS Orange Foam Light Cutting Pads followed by the BOSS Finishing Sealant using the BOSS Black Foam Finishing Pads.

Decontamination

The Correction Step

The Finishing Step

The BOSS Finishing Sealant both polishes and seals the paint in one-step.

Results!

The 1972 Mustang is what I call a "Bucket List" car. Most people will NEVER get to detail one of these as they are incredibly rear. As such, a couple more pics....

By now it's easily 6:30pm. The class started working at 7:30am. That makes this an 11 hour class and 6 cars detailed to perfection using multiple multiple tools, pads and products.

Incredible work everyone! I know you all got a GREAT NIGHT'S SLEEP! (as I promised you would)

10. Likes JKDesign liked this post
    Mike Phillips

More to come....

***Placeholder 4 ***

Mike Phillips

Continued....

Saturday Morning

It's now Saturday morning and on Saturday we start with washing cars and all the different tools, products and techniques that you get to learn at our classes during the washing process.

This includes,

1. Glass polishing
    2. Headlight correction
    3. Wet wash engine detailing
    4. Fallout and Iron Remover
    5. Nanoskin Mitts and Towels
    6. Foam Guns
    7. Machine scrubbing tires
    8. Wheel Woolie Brushes and Speedmaster Brushes for cleaning wheels and tires
    9. SONAX Wheel Cleaners
    10. RaggTopp products for canvas tops
    11. 303 products for vinyl tops
    12. Grit Guard cars, inserts and wash boards
    13. Microfiber Chenille Wash Mitts
    14. Guzzler Waffle Weave drying towels
    15. Mighty Mini tools for machine scrubbing tires and engines
    16. FLEX Cordless PE14 for machine scrubbing tires
    17. Metro-Vac Sidekick for engine detailing and drying cars
    18. Metro-Vac Master Blaster for drying cars
    19. FLEX Car Dryer for air drying cars

And the above is just off the top of my head. As you can see, washing cars is not as simple as just washing a car. I cover a TON of topics, tools and techniques in this early morning session.

Pictures from Saturday morning wash session. The class washed 4 cars including a wet wash of one engine compartment.

13. Likes JKDesign liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued....

Mid-morning Saturday

FLEX Power Tools

Friday was all tools and paint correction. Because there are SO MANY cool tools, products and techniques for getting a car clean we cover car washing first thing Saturday morning to beat-the-heat!

After the car washing session then it's back to TOOL TIME and now we're on FLEX tools. The class has already covered 4 major tool sets or "types" of tools and now they get to start out with the BEAST followed by the FINISHER.

According to the Flow Chart, next we're working on the Bentley and the Jaguar. The Jaguar has a cloth top so we'll start by treating the top with RaggTopp and my own technique for using this product.

Pay attention to the Autogeek Cover-up Towels used to cover up the windshield and the sides and back of the Jaguar.

Now see the Autogeek Cover-up towels are covering over the CANVAS convertible top. That's to protect them from any compound or polish splatter. The RaggTopp has been applied and is drying under the towels.

Test Spot
    In my classes, I teach how and why to do a Test Spot on EACH car the class works on. The reason why is simple. None of us have any idea if the paint on a car is hard, soft of somewhere in-between until we do a Test Spot.

Jaguar
    We found the paint on the Jaguar to be incredibly HARD - so the class is going to cut it with SONAX CutMax with Lake Country Orange Force Hybrid pads on the FLEX 3401. Afterwards they will polish the paint using the FLEX Finisher and Lake Country White Force Hybrid "polishing" pads. Then the class will chemically strip the paint and apply GYEON Mohs Ceramic Paint Coating.

Bentley
    We found the paint on the Bentley to be incredibly SOFT - but the Bentley has a lot of deeper scratches from the Nanoskin Mitts. So the class is going to cut it with the SONAX CutMax and a combination of Lake Country Orange Force Hybrid foam "cutting" pads and White Force Hybrid foam "polishing" pads on the FLEX 3401. Afterwards they will polish the paint using the FLEX Finisher and Lake Country Black Force Hybrid foam finishing pads.

Inspecting the results
    The Jaguar had Type II water spots all over the paint. These were actually a shallow forum of crater etchings. I don't know what the owner or owners of this car did to it in the past but the reason the paint looks so DULL and lifeless when it arrived to Autogeek was due to the severe water spotting all over the paint.

Team Work

The Cordless Beast or CBEAST

The Cordless Finisher

Chemically stripping the paint with BLACKFIRE Paint Prep

The paint was so soft on the Bentley that it was difficult to wipe anything off the paint without marring it. So I shared my "Cheater Technique" for finishing out on soft paints and that's by using a one-step cleaner/wax that uses high quality abrasive technology.

Results

GREAT JOB TEAM!

15. Likes JKDesign liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued...

Mid-Afternoon Saturday - Production Detailing

By this point the class has detailed 8 cars using multiple multiple tools, pads and products. Each set of 2 cars they have learned and performed what I call and teach,

Show Car Detailing

Show car detailing or multiple-step detailing is where you break the paint correction process into dedicated step. That would look like,

Wash/clean
    Decontaminate
    Compound
    Polish
    Seal - Sealing the paint includes using carnauba wax, synthetic paint sealants and ceramic paint coatings.

And anytime you use a ceramic paint coating there is the EXTRA STEP of chemically stripping the paint. The next technique the class learns is what I call Production Detailing. I don't know what other people or other instructors call and don't really care. As a writer with 5 how-to books under my belt, hundreds of articles over almost 2 decades and having coined many of the terms used in our industry I'm fairly confident of the words I choose to label a topic, tool, product or technique.

Production Detailing Definition

Performing ONE STEP to the paint after all of the normal steps have been performed

The normal steps include somehow washing or cleaning the car, (could be a hose and bucket wash, foam gun wash, rinseless wash or waterless wash etc.), decontaminating the paint mechanically and or mechanically and chemically. These are normal steps you do to a car no matter how you address the paint correction and then the sealing of the surface of the paint.

One Step means using a one step AIO or cleaner/wax or cleaner/sealant. The point of the product is that it does three things in one step,

1. Compounds or corrects the paint.
    2. Polishes the paint to maximize gloss and clarity
    3. Seals the paint with "something"

When detailing daily drivers or working at a production detail show, could also be working at a new and/or new and used car dealership, you are normally doing high speed or "production" work, thus the name Production Detailing.

Almost all waxes or paint sealants you can buy at the local auto parts store or at places like Target and Walmart are in fact one-step cleaner/waxes or one-step cleaner/sealants. The difference between a cleaner/wax and a cleaner/sealant is a cleaner/was uses some type of waxy substance for protection while a cleaner/sealant uses some type of man-made synthetic substance for protection. And of course if you don't already know, the acronym AIO stands for All-in-One which is the exact same thing as a cleaner/wax or cleaner/sealant. All of these product do 3 steps in 1 step.

In my classes I have the students use ALL of the tools in their prospective systems, (if they have a system, for example RUPES and Griot's have complete systems), so by the time we get to mid-afternoon on Saturday, after having used all the different tools, when we go over Production Detailing each person can choose which tool or tools they want to re-visit or spend more time with.

Here's the logic behind this approach. You cannot spend more time or re-visit a tool you have not used. So this is why I start Friday and go into Saturday covering Show Car Detailing. It gives the students the chance to use ALL the different tools, pads and products.

NOW they get to use any tool they like and use a GREAT one-step cleaner/wax and currently in my classes I'm showing the BLACKFIRE One Step, which is technically an one-step cleaner/sealant as it uses synthetic ingredients for protecting the paint. BLACKFIRE One Step uses great abrasive technology as the class sees first hand.

The training cars for Production Detailing

For this class session I'm always looking for neglected cars and I try to have at least one white car that's neglected. The reason for a neglected white car is because when we wash it and use an iron remover I need the paint to bleed red to have a visual impact on the class. This is in case someone in the class has never seen nor used an iron remover. The red bleeding effect makes a strong impact on white paint and the average person can then WRAP THEIR MIND AROUND THE IDEA and thus the product and process.

I'm happy to say the white 2000 Honda CRV was contaminated and bled read and so did the other 3 cars the class washed it was just harder to see on the grey Cadillac, the blue Bentley and the green Jaguar.

Here's the two cars I obtained to teach the very important topic of production detailing.

1961 Cadillac Series 75 Formal Sedan

2000 Honda CRV

You can find the washing pictures in post #7 above

Order of steps
    The below picture are shared in the order each of the procedures, products and tools were used on these two cars.

Headlight Correction
    Sorry no pictures of the "action", attend one of my classes and learn how to do this in person.

Here's what the class learned to use...

Test Spot
    You always do a Test Spot even when doing one-step production detailing. Normally you TRY to stick with foam "polishing" pads to avoid putting micro-marring into the paint from using foam "cutting" pads and of course, in most cases a foam "polishing" pad won't work with the one-step cleaner/wax to offer enough correction.

2000 Honda CRV
    From our Test Spot we found the paint to be very SOFT and a foam polishing pad removed the defects and restored a factory new finish.

1961 Cadillac
    From our Test Spot we found the paint to be very HARD and the severity of the swirls and scratches were so bad that we found a foam "cutting" pad removed the defects without leaving any micro-marring.

Interesting Point: In the pictures below - when you see the tools these people have chosen, remember it was their choice.

Plastic Trim Restoration with Solution Finish

17. Likes JKDesign liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Pictures: May 2019 Detailing Bootcamp Class at Autogeek with Mike Phillips

Continued.....

Tire Coatings
    In all my classes I try to show how to apply both tire dressings and tire coatings. These are VERY DIFFERENT types of products.

Tuf Shine Tire Coating
    What I teach in my classes is a technique yours truly created to quickly and effectively apply 5-6 coats of Tuf Shine Tire Coating and then both speed dry the coating to the tire, (so you can then apply multiple coats quickly), and also blow the coating in and around all the tire lettering and sidewall siping.

Tire Dressings
    Application of a tire dressing is a lot faster and easier than a coating.

Protecting Vinyl Tops with 303 Aerospace Protectant
    I cover tips and techniques for both cleaning and then applying and removing the correct way the 303 Aerospace Protectant.

Wurth Trim Paint
    The driver's side trim was damaged on the 2000 Honda CRV so Wurth Trim Paint to the rescue.

Rock Chip Repair with Dr. Color Chip Commercial System
    The Dr. Color Chip Commercial System is a business all by itself if you're willing to invest the time in developing a route calling on new and used car dealerships.

RESULTS!

I took these pictures out in the sun the next day. Looks like a freaking brand new car and it's 19 years old.

Great job team!

19. Likes JKDesign liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast