autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Pictures: Roadshow Class with Detail Pro Shop in Powell, Ohio

Wow!

Thanks for the nice review Josh!

And thank you so much for all your hard work in the class along with all the efforts from the other guys.

We covered tons of tools, products and techniques and if I’m counting correctly- we detailed 13 cars in the process.

And you know first-hand, these classes are all on-your-feet, hands-on!

We didn’t have any time for sitting around in chairs talking! If there would have been any sitting time outside of 10 to 15 minutes for pizza - we could not have went over so many topics.

Thank you for attending.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I started my detailing business about 1 1/2 years ago. I have been cleaning cars since I could drive. The amount of knowledge this class offers is incredible. The best thing about this was the hands on detailing. No classroom snooze fest. Mike Phillips explains, shows, then you do the rest.

I came into the class in hopes of feeling more confident about detailing, machine polishing, and ceramic coating. I can proudly say, that I accomplished these things. You never stop learning in this industry, as new products and techniques are constantly being created.

I also learned better ways to communicate with my customers. Educate them as Mike Phillips says. Get information from them before you start detailing. Inspect the car with them, do a test spot to show them what there car could look like. Ask them "How do you clean your car?"

I had been looking for a detailing class for the past few months, and stumbled upon this one. And I am glad I did. The Rupes and Flex reps were great. They were super educated in there products and how they operate.

Being able to use 6,7,8 different polishers was like being in heaven. Using all the different chemicals, polishes, compounds, and microfiber towels has really opened my eyes to what is out there to escalate my business and services to the next level.

I would recommend the class to anyone who is looking to get more familiar with detailing tools or just looking to educate themselves a little better in detailing in general. Thank you Mike Phillips for the vast knowledge you instilled on me, I am forever grateful.

Richie Dillinger
    Dillinger Detailing LLC

3. Likes Aaryn NZ, PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger Detailing View Post

The amount of knowledge this class offers is incredible. The best thing about this was the hands on detailing. No classroom snooze fest. Mike Phillips explains, shows, then you do the rest.

I had been looking for a detailing class for the past few months, and stumbled upon this one. And I am glad I did.

I would recommend the class to anyone who is looking to get more familiar with detailing tools or just looking to educate themselves a little better in detailing in general. Thank you Mike Phillips for the vast knowledge you instilled on me, I am forever grateful.

Richie Dillinger
    Dillinger Detailing LLC

Thank you Richie for the detailed review from the class last weekend. While the classes are a LOT of work for everyone, I have to say, it was also a really fun class.

These classes always attract high caliber people, and it's for this reason I never have any fear turning the class over to all the cool cars we worked on,

1 BMW
    3 Porsches
    1 Subaru
    2 Corvettes
    2 Fords
    1 Suzuki

That's a total of 10 cars in 2 days! And each car came out as perfect as is humanly possible. Even the Corvette headlights came out great and we all learned lesson with the headlight restoration on the Corvette and that is to be sure to have #300 grit hand sanding paper in your arsenal. I'm going to find a sources for this that a person can find locally and write a new article.

So thank you for trusting in the Autogeek name and my name and then signing-up and taking the class.

5. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Just added certificate pictures to the first page of this thread.

7. Likes Aaryn NZ, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I always love to see the people, and hear the stories/class feedback.

Awesome.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I just want to say that this was a great training.

It’s 100 percent hands on and I wouldn’t want it any other way.

Mike was great and I loved the aspect of all the different tools/chemicals that were available to try during the class. This class gave me the knowledge and physical exposure to all of the top products on the market making it easy to decide what my next investment will be.

This training is a must for everyone! I promise you will not regret it.

Thanks again Mike and the others behind the scene that put this on.

Colin

Mike Phillips

For everyone that took this class, here's the article I wrote and also shared in the class about RUPES being a SYSTEM not a Tool.

The Air Test - Using NON RUPES pads on RUPES Polishers by Mike Phillips

The Air Test

In this picture, this RUPES BigFoot 21 is running on the 6.0 speed setting and is vibration free.

I came up with a simple test ANYONE can do to test if a non-RUPES buffing pad is compatible with a RUPES polisher.

The RUPES engineers designed their pads specific to the RUPES tools and backing plates for the intended purpose of reducing and eliminating vibration. This means the size, shape, thickness and weight of the pads are such that when attached to the matching RUPES backing plate and RUPES tool there is zero or very little vibration.

The Air Test

First - Hold a RUPES polisher in the air without a foam buffing pad attached to the backing plate in the [ON] position on speed 6. You will feel the tool vibrating.

Second - Attach the correct size RUPES pad for the backing plate and matching RUPES tool and repeat the above. That is hold the tool in the air in the [ON] position on speed 6. You will feel no vibration and a very smooth operating tool.

Now after doing the above you know what vibration feels like with no pad and what zero vibration feels like with the RUPES engineered pad.

Testing non-RUPES pads for vibration

To test a non-RUPES pad for vibration and compatibility, repeat the test with the pad you're thinking of using and see if there is any vibration.

• If no vibration, your choice, use or don't use the pad.

• If you feel vibration you will know it's the pad, not the tool.

Engineered for no vibration

I've done my research and real world testing and what I've experienced is that what RUPES states is true and that is they engineered their pads, backing plates and tools to work together to eliminate vibration.

It doesn't matter to me what pad anyone uses on any tool I just wanted to point out that when RUPES states their pads, backing plates and tools are engineered to work together to eliminate vibration they mean it.

I've always been what I call a systems guy that is given the choice I prefer to use a system approach versus mixing and matching products, pads and tools from multiple brands.

I'm not saying mixing and matching doesn't work but I think you hedge your bet when you stay inside a system designed by the same company. I also know it's the nature of the beast for people to want to experiment and use pads other non-RUPES pads or pads they already own on their RUPES polishers. The Air Test will tell you real fast if a pad is compatible.

On Autogeek.com

RUPES Color Matched 7" Foam Buffing Pads

RUPES Color Matched 6" Foam Buffing Pads

RUPES Color Matched 4" Foam Buffing Pads

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My father and I signed up for Mike’s Roadshow Class in Powell, Ohio as complete novices who were interested in learning how to properly detail our own cars. Having watched some of Mike’s videos and read through the class description, I was confident that this hands-on class would give me the techniques and experience to do it.

While many in the class were professional detailers, Mike was welcoming to all of the participants, regardless of experience level and made the class relevant and fun for novices and professionals alike.

As a participant with little experience, Mike’s class provided me with a repeatable, proven, step-by-step process for detailing vehicles through which Mike highlighted the right techniques and products to produce outstanding results on the first try. Prior to attending the class, I was apprehensive about using a polisher for fear that I would ruin the finish on my car. However, I knew the Roadshow Class would be packed with professional instruction and “hands-on” time with a variety of equipment. Mike’s class did not disappoint. In addition to Mike’s expert instruction, our class was lucky enough to have reps from Rupes and Flex on-site to provide even more tips and techniques regarding their equipment. Both gentlemen were very nice and helpful and were a nice addition to the class. The day after the Roadshow Class, my father and I unboxed my Porter Cable 7424XP and put a mirror shine on my weekend car. Mission accomplished.

I would highly recommend Mike’s Roadshow Class to any novice/amateur ready to move from cleaning their vehicle with a single bucket of big box store car wash to actually detailing their car using next-level products and tools. Don’t fear the polisher.

12. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Likes mc2hill liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My son and I attended the Autogeek Detailing Workshop that was held in Dublin, Oh. Sept. 14th & 15th. I've been taking care of my cars for more than 50 years and until I attended Mike Phillips class I didn't know what I didn't know about care. We were exposed to various types polishers, cleaners, waxes and methods, all of which were part of the hands on experience. Anyone who is serious about keeping or making their car look better than it has ever looked should seriously consider attending one of Mikes detailing workshops. After the workshop my son and I went to work on his Porsche 911 Turbo and the results were truly amazing. I'm looking forward to putting the methods learned to my own car. Thanks, for a great learning experience.

14. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FLCarGuy View Post
    My son and I attended the Autogeek Detailing Workshop that was held in Dublin, Oh. Sept. 14th & 15th. I've been taking care of my cars for more than 50 years and until I attended Mike Phillips class I didn't know what I didn't know about care. We were exposed to various types polishers, cleaners, waxes and methods, all of which were part of the hands on experience. Anyone who is serious about keeping or making their car look better than it has ever looked should seriously consider attending one of Mikes detailing workshops. After the workshop my son and I went to work on his Porsche 911 Turbo and the results were truly amazing. I'm looking forward to putting the methods learned to my own car. Thanks, for a great learning experience.
    Awesome to hear! And welcome to AGO.

We all hope that you will be active on the forum and share all of your experiences (good & bad).

This is how we all learn.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast