autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Pictures: Autogeek’s Roadshow Class with PRAXIS Detailing in Auburn, Indiana

Another amazing class! 10 cars detailed in 2 days! No chairs- no sitting! Just people learning by doing!

First the people!

Mike

Roger

Eric

Josh

Armando

Dan

TJ

Mike

Jennifer

Ronnie

David

Jackson

Luis

Jamie

Justin

Our host and owner of PRAXIS Detailing

Mike Liebing

Thank you everyone for working hard and also being so careful when working on all these exceptional cars!

2. Thanks RACLARK, Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

More....

Next the cars. I'll share what tools, products, pads and STYLE of car detailing were used for each set of 2 cars.

Detailing Technique Taught

Show Car Detailing or Multiple Step Detailing

This is using a dedicated compound followed by a dedicated polish followed by a dedicated sealing process, either wax, sealant or ceramic coating.

Cars #1 & 2 - Saturday Mid-Morning Session

Tools - Products - Pads

8mm Free Spinning Random Orbital Polishers - Griot's 6" ROP
    Pinnacle Compound
    Pinnacle Polish
    Pinnacle Liquid Souveran Carnauba Wax
    Buff & Shine 6" Uro-Tec Foam Pad System

1969 Mustang Boss 429 - Numbers Matching Car

1964 GTO - 389 Big Block, Tri Power 4-Speed Numbers Matching

Cars #3 & #4 - Saturday Afternoon Session

This is using a dedicated compound followed by a dedicated polish followed by a dedicated sealing process, either wax, sealant or ceramic coating.

Tools - Products - Pads

RUPES Paint Polishing System
    Free Spinning Tools = BigFoot 21, 15, Duetto, Mini, Nano in long and short neck options
    Gear-driven Tools = Mille and Nano in Rotary Mode
    RUPES Compounds & Polishes
    RUPES Buffing Pads

Chemically stripped using BLACKFIRE Paint Prep
    Ceramic Coated using BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Coating

2005 Ford T-Bird Convertible

Canvas convertible top cleaned and protected using RaggTopp

2006 Chevy Monte Carlo SS

This is One of One - It's the only Dale Earnhardt Custom Edition ever made[/B]

Cars #5 & #6 - Late Saturday Afternoon Session

Tools - Products - Pads

Griot's BOSS Paint Polishing System
    BOSS 15mm and 21mm long stroke free spinning orbital polishers
    Griot's BOSS Creams
    Griot's BOSS Pads

1939 Lincoln Zephyr Convertible

Fully Restore with a Basecoat/Clearcoat paint system

1966 Lincoln Continental Convertible

Fully restored with a basecoat/clearcoat paint system. Vinyl Convertible Top cleaned and protected using 303

Cars #7 & #8 - Sunday Morning Session

Tools - Products - Pads

FLEX 3401 8mm Gear-driven Orbital Polisher
    FLEX XFE7-15 15mm Free Spinning Random Orbital Polisher

Compound = SONAX CutMax
    Polish = SONAX EX-04 06

Pads = Lake Country 6.5" Force Hybrid

Paint was chemically stripped using BLACKFIRE Paint Prep
    Corvette was sealed using GYEON One Ceramic Coating
    Lexus was sealed using CarPro UK Edition 3.0

2009 Corvette Coupe with the LS3 engine

2014 LEXUS GS 350

Cars #9 & #10 - Sunday Afternoon Session

Production Detailing also called One Step Detailing or Daily Driver Detailing

Unlike show car detailing where you break-up the paint polishing process into dedicated steps and use dedicated products and pads for each step, with production detailing you use a ONE STEP CLEANER WAX also called an AIO or All-in-One.

A cleaner/wax or AIO will do three things in one step.

1. Compound
    2. Polish
    3. Seal the paint

When your choice of product uses high quality abrasive technology you can get show car results with a LOT less work and time. The thing to remember though, because a one-step cleaner/wax contains a wax or sealant, you cannot follow this with a ceramic coating because you cannot trust that you can chemically remove the wax or sealant with a panel wipe or solvent. If you want to apply a ceramic paint coating you need to stick with conventional compounds and polishes that can be chemically stripped after use.

Tools - Products - Pads

Free-For-All

When I teach my car detailing classes, as you can see by the information shared above, my class gets to use multiple different tools, pads and products. THEN when we get to Production Detailing, because by now they have used all the major brands and types of tool, for this session I let them choose and use any of the tools. It's their chance to re-visit a tool or spend more time with a tool they are interested in. Heck, if someone wants they can re-use all the tools. I call this,

Free-for-all

And it's your chance to really dial-in to the tool you think you like but want to make sure before you start investing in not only tools but the pads and products that go with them. Make sense? This is my personal style of teaching car detailing classes. I understand there are a LOT of tool choices on the market.

When you attend a RUPES class or Meguiar's Class, or a FLEX class you typically only get to use ONE BRAND of tool. Thus you cannot compare and make up your own mind as to which tool is best or in other words, which tool is best for YOU.

Because we sell all the major and popular brands and types of tools I have this luxury that you won't find at other detailing classes.

Product

BLACKFIRE One Step

This is technically a one-step cleaner/sealant and not a cleaner/wax because it uses a synthetic sealant for protection instead of a traditional wax base ingredient for the protection aspect.

Pads

Foam polishing and foam cutting pads are shown for doing one-step production detailing. If a person chooses to use a RUPES polisher for this session then they use RUPES pads. If a person chooses a FLEX tool then they use Lake Country pads. If a person chooses a Griot's BOSS polisher then they use Griot's BOSS pads. And if a person chooses the Griot's 6" Random Orbital Polisher, (an 8mm free spinning random orbital polisher similar to the Porter Cable 7424), then they use Buff & Shine pads.

1940 Buick Businessman's Coupe

This is the very rare model with Dual Front Spare Tire Sidemounts and Fender Skirts

2008 Dodge Avenger

That's 10 cars detailed in 2 days with TONS of tips and techniques NOT listed anywhere the I share from experience I've gained from decades of detailing cars and teaching car detailing as a hobby and a business.

4. Likes Aaryn NZ, RamAirV1, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pictures: Autogeek’s Roadshow Class with PRAXIS Detailing in Auburn, Indiana

Always like seeing the people that attend.

Hey Mike....... What's with the yellow (looks to be) Bronco with the halved tires??
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

6. Likes N/A, RamAirV1 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pictures: Autogeek’s Roadshow Class with PRAXIS Detailing in Auburn, Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Pictures: Autogeek’s Roadshow Class with PRAXIS Detailing

Mike

I'd Had a Great Time and took in a Lot of info.

Meet a Lot Great People and made friends in the Process. Vast amount of Info was Shared, and a Great learning Experience.

Thank You so much for Your Time and to the Host Mike Liebing as well.

The Equipment Used was Great and Learn how To used Each One .

The Cars were of a vast varieties, and Learn how to make One, 100% Better then when we started , with Great People as a Team to make them look Great.

Thank You to the Team and to Both Mike's

Roger Clark

8. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, Aaryn NZ, RamAirV1, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO, Roger!

Always love seeing a new member, and the fact that you learned first-hand from Mike gives you a leg up.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That Lincoln Zephyr came out really nice !

12. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ, N/A liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This class was awesome!

Always on my feet actually doing something productive. If you learn by doing I highly recommend this class.

A lot of information over 2 days was learned and the opportunity to try many different tools before deciding what I wanna buy.

14. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RACLARK View Post
    Mike

I'd Had a Great Time and took in a Lot of info.

Meet a Lot Great People and made friends in the Process. Vast amount of Info was Shared, and a Great learning Experience.

Thank You so much for Your Time and to the Host Mike Liebing as well.

The Equipment Used was Great and Learn how To used Each One .

The Cars were of a vast varieties, and Learn how to make One, 100% Better then when we started , with Great People as a Team to make them look Great.

Thank You to the Team and to Both Mike's

Roger Clark

Hi Roger, thank you for attending the class and also sharing your feedback about the class here on the forum.

I would also like to say thank you for being such a help at the class. I always have a "go-getter" in every class and you fit this description - so thank you.

AND - thank you for all the time, money and work it took to bring TWO cars to this class for everyone to work on. The Camaro was incredible and I believe you how have the skills, knowledge and confidence to tackle it yourself. and the Monte Carlo - will the class did a GREAT job on it and now it's ready to cruise and show-off!

Thank you again Roger, it was a genuine pleasure working with you and getting to know you.

16. Likes RamAirV1, SWETM liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

Thank you for the amazing class! I am still sore from muscle groups I have not felt in years! Your approach to hands-on instruction is how I learn best and you are a great hands-on teacher.

I know you love "The Beast", but I thought it was too powerful for me.

You put together an excellent curriculum and a great team to learn with. Some of us walked in there with little experience and all of us walked away ready to detail our own cars.

In my opinion, this class should be a requirement for pro detailers so they know how to properly detail a car and speak with customers.

Thank you Praxis Detailing for hosting and providing some amazing & expensive cars for us to detail.

Regards,
    David Gutierrez
    Research and Development Lab Manager
    303® Products

18. Likes Aaryn NZ, SWETM liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike;

Thanks for making the trip to Auburn IN and taking time out from your life to enrich others; especially on the weekend.

You covered a lot of topics, products, machines and how to be successful while running a detailing business. Real world challenges and results.

We worked on barn finds to $400,000 collector cars in this class, not many people get that opportunity.

Hope to be on the tour next year again!

Thanks

Mike Liebing

20. Likes Aaryn NZ, RamAirV1, SWETM liked this post
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast