autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: 1940 Buick -Before & After - EXTREME extreme Makeover!

More...

Grill polishing

2. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, what's with the application of 303 protectant on the tires using the Flex rotary and carpet brush? Never seen or heard of that before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Nope - no more.

I use to have a full blown power point presentation and as I added more and more tools and topics I cut it down to brief power point presentation. Then I added more tools and topics and for the last 2 years I have ZERO power point presentation. In fact - I no longer take a computer with me.

Instead of a power point presentation with a picture of a tool, product or technique and having people sit in a chair looking at a screen while I talk - I have people stand by a car, put the tool or product in their hands and then show them the technique and learn by doing.

Zero Power Point Presentations.

All hands-on. People learn by doing not sitting in a chair. If a person wants to learn by sitting in a chair - well... they’ll have to go to some other class.

As if they couldn’t get anymore hands on or any cooler!

I like that you’re speaking about the tool and demonstrating it while the “students” are holding the exact same thing in their hands. To hold a Porter Cable, then GG6, Flex, Rupes 15/21 and G15/21 all in one day within a few hours of each other and learn on the tool by an experienced professional was a great experience. Probably very few people would be able to do that if it wasn’t for your classes!

If anybody is on the fence and is reading this, sign up for a class today. They’re worth their weight in compound, polish and wax. You work with so many tools, product lines, systems, amazing rides and an even more amazing instructor!
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing results! Great work Mike and class!

Post Thanks / Like

Mike
    nice work to you and the crew. the front shot of that Buick is awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

awesome job, was the collection in the back ground a show or private collection ? it had some pretty neat rides.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post

Mike, what's with the application of 303 protectant on the tires using the Flex rotary and carpet brush? Never seen or heard of that before.
    The tires, like the car are old. It’s going to be sold like it is at auction. My class machine scrubbed the tires when we washed the car and the machine scrubbed the 303 Protectant INTO the tires and it really did a great job of making the tires look freaking amazing.

One of the people in this class is a chemist for 303 and he thought this technique was pretty nifty.

9. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ, DBAILEY, Farmallluvr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow Wow Wow!!

How cool is that! An actual barn find classic car & it’s being used as a training canvas in a detailing class!!! Woooaah! Most of us will never ever get that opportunity in our detailing careers or even as hobbiests for that matter let alone in a detailing class! Wow!

I am very jealous indeed.

Beautiful work too team, it sure is a gorgeous car & it came out stunning.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

I can't even imagine all the work it took to pull this off from start to finish. All those cars in two days? Astounding.....I would think two weeks maybe. The Buick turned out exceptionally well, no doubt they all did. Congratulations to all involved and especially to Fearless Leader Mike.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 2wookies View Post

Looking good, I got excited for a min hoping this was a #7 technique..

Sorry for the late reply, it's Wednesday morning, July 24th and my first day back into the office after leaving last Friday for the Auburn Roadshow Class. Point being, when I'm not behind a full size, MS Ergo Keyboard and my arm holder uppers, I don't type a lot as this means I'm usually on my iPhone.

I love your comment above as it gives me a chance to chime in and clarify for all those that will read this thread into the future.

My article sharing the technique for using #7 to restore antique and original paint is for cars with antique and original paint that is chalky white, not like the paint on this 1940 Chevy.

Here's the link to my original article on this topic, well over half a million views which is a LOT when you consider most of us reading this thread own and drive cars with modern basecoat/clearcoat paints systems.

The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

The paint on this 1940 Buick is not the original paint but it is a very OLD re-paint using old school single stage enamel paint, (my guess). While it was in horrible neglected condition it was not chalky with oxidation and for this reason we did a Test Spot using the BLACKFIRE One Step and as I expected - worked exceedingly well to remove the swirls, scratches and oxidation to create a like-new appearance that was in person, mind-blowing.

13. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast