autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: 10 cars detailed in 2 days! Texas Roadshow Detailing Class!

Quote Originally Posted by 69385vette View Post

What a great class. We got to work with a wide range of buffers, pads and product lines. I can't think of any way to learn about the detaining process better than actual "Hands On".

Although I am just a hobbyist, this was something I always wanted to learn. There are just way too many "experts" online to make informed choices.

This class presented bias free product presentations and Mike's expert experience and advice is priceless.

Thanks Mike for an outstanding experience (and a dent in my budget for a new buffer and products to use on my cars!)

- Rick

Thanks Rick for sharing your experience about the class. I think you would agree it was also fast-paced, not time to get bored?

By the way, I didn't get a picture of your 1967 GTO, I would love to have one after you take you newly acquired skills and do a "Show Car Makeover" to it. If possible, use the sun and/or overhead lights to get before pictures of the holograms and the sanding marks the body shop left in the paint job.

2. Likes 69385vette liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I spent two days in a very hot shop in Austin Texas with Mike Phillips of AutoGeek.

I've been through several of Mike's classes when he was with Meguiars and each one was a learning experience but not like the two days in Austin. I got lots of hands-on with machines from at least 5 different manufacturers and we worked with at least 12 different manufacturers products.

Most impressive to me was detailing the Corvette from my San Antonio club. This is a raffle car for our 2020 car show and it was a mess. A 2011 Corvette that hadn't been driven in years. The engine compartment was covered in dirt, the paint was infected with swirls and scratches and the interior as disgusting. The class put a lot of time on this car and the result was impressive.

The engine looks like it just came off the showroom floor, there are no scratches and the tan interior looks new. This was easily a 10 man-hour job and it turned out beautiful.

I turned the car over to our club president who extolled the virtues of the detailing class.

I picked up three jobs out of that meeting, one with a multiple car assignment. Mike gave me new tips and introduced me to more products, giving me more confidence in my detailing skills.

It was a great two days and well worth the the cost.

Thanks Mike and AutoGeek.

4. Likes 69385vette, mc2hill, Diner, fly07sti liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The Vette engine detail was awesome. That product sonax was a real winner to me.

I was very impressed with all the products we tried. Some I would use and some probably not. I liked the point he made us use every product and line they had.

I always expected to buy a Rupes polisher next. But after trying all the brands he had there, my next polisher will be a Flex machine for sure.

The Griots polishes were nice to use and worked pretty decent. I would use them but will still say Menzerna will be my top pick. I would say after taking the class it will save me more money not chasing products that I thought I needed. Of course everyone’s style and technique is different. It was a great help in that matter.

6. Likes Diner liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Randy,

Because you were there - would yo mind sharing something more substantial about what you did over the course of the 2 days?

We covered so many topics, tools, products and techniques. That would mean more to those that will read this thread in the months and years to come besides the Mexican was good.

Maybe share your background and why you attended the class?

Or your favorite tool out of the dozens you were able to spend time with?

Quote Originally Posted by RT617 View Post

The Vette engine detail was awesome. That product sonax was a real winner to me.

I was very impressed with all the products we tried. Some I would use and some probably not. I liked the point he made us use every product and line they had.

I always expected to buy a Rupes polisher next. But after trying all the brands he had there, my next polisher will be a Flex machine for sure.

The Griots polishes were nice to use and worked pretty decent. I would use them but will still say Menzerna will be my top pick. I would say after taking the class it will save me more money not chasing products that I thought I needed. Of course everyone’s style and technique is different. It was a great help in that matter.

Thank you Randy. You know I appreciate it anytime anyone that attends any of our classes takes the time to share their thoughts about the class they attended on our forum.

Mike Phillips

Thank you to Brian for writing a review for the class on the Autogeek Store page for this class. Problem with this is once the class is over our store website staff takes that page down and with it any reivews.

This is why I send the link to join the forum to everyone that takes one of our classes. When you post to the forum it will be here as long as Autogeek pays their server bill, which has been since they brought this forum up in 2006.

So thank you Brian for the review and to preserve it for posterity and so others can read your words, no editing, here it is,

Name: Brian

Recommended: Yes

Review Title: Shortcut to Better Detailing

Review:

I went to the Austin Roadshow last weekend and it was excellent! I really enjoyed learning new techniques from Mike and getting to practice them right away. It was also extremely beneficial to have a huge selection of products right there to try out so I could see firsthand which ones can benefit me the most.

I definitely feel like I got my money's worth and it will give me a huge boost in continuing to grow my business and in making me a better detailer!

Pros:

Getting to try out a huge variety of tools and products I'm interested in firsthand. Meeting other detailers and working alongside them to learn new techniques and sharing successes and failures in the detailing business.

Cons:

Very tiring to learn so much in such a short period of time.

That was GREAT!

I love what you wrote under Cons!

Why?

I would much rather have someone point out that there is TOO MUCH TO LEARN than to state there was too much sitting and not enough hands-on time.

Yeah- love that comment!

Thank you Brian and also thank you for helping the owner of the 1961 Corvette to TRUST his streetrod with Autogeek and yours truly for this class.

If you get a chance, TEXT me what he texted you after he took his Corvette home and had some time to really go over it.

9. Likes mc2hill liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by AGOLDEN274 View Post

I spent two days in a very hot shop in Austin Texas with Mike Phillips of AutoGeek.
    Very hot but still a great class!

Quote Originally Posted by AGOLDEN274 View Post

I've been through several of Mike's classes when he was with Meguiars and each one was a learning experience but not like the two days in Austin.

I got lots of hands-on with machines from at least 5 different manufacturers and we worked with at least 12 different manufacturers products.

It was a great two days and well worth the the cost.

Thanks Mike and AutoGeek.

Thanks for sharing that Andrew and thanks for attending.

I know you and everyone else that attended this class now have a full appreciation of what a true HANDS-ON training class is really like.

For this class I rented from the local Party Store,

12 - 6' banquet tables
    4 chairs

That's right ---> 4 chairs. And these chairs were for some of the more seasoned members of this class and a couple of people that told me they have "back" issues. So yeah, a few chairs for these people to sit down and take a break. But that was it. For 2 days straight, starting at 6:30am and going until 6:30pm on Saturday and 5:30pm on Sunday - it was all hand-on.

I'll add the pictures to DOCUMENT what our classes look like. And I guarantee - you won't find any other place on the Internet that documents you on your feet working on cars. And of course, no one is going to share pictures of their classes where everyone is sitting in chairs.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: 10 cars detailed in 2 days! Texas Roadshow Detailing Class!

Thanks Mike for those 4-chairs, a couple of times I did need to sit a minute and eat my pizza.

For anyone in the USA wanting to take a 'deep dive' into auto detailing these AG Roadshow classes are worth your time and money. Find one that best fits your needs and come ready to be immersed in the process. Mike's approach is learn by doing and sharing. Everyone will get time to listen to his years of being a true 'Auto Geek' knowing the industry, products, and the people. But when he says grab your tools and products it's going to be hands-on for many cars over the next few days. It's a team effort, so you can learn something from other students in the class. This class had detailers and hobbyist attending, but each found something new to experience and try over those two days.

I was a last minute student for the class, having to juggle my other part-time job schedule and decision to pay-up and make the drive from Houston. This was not my first nor second rodeo but it was the hottest time, yet will next time pick another class a bit cooler! That is the best part of attending the 3-day class at Autogeek HQ in Stuart, FL., Mike has A/C and even more supplies!

Mike, the experience you and AG provide to the students cannot be understood by most people. With FB and other social media, I see classes at Rupes facility, Vendor training classes, and even Renny Doyle's classes. For many the written word or visual presentations sink in and help them understand. I guess you could do the same but I would never feel like I received my money and time's value sitting, I like doing. Thanks for your sharing and always preaching test spots and how thick is clear coat (NOT!)!

To Joe & Sandra, Todd, Brian, Joel, Johnathan, Roberto and Jose, I hope to see you do well with all the knowledge and skills I saw. To the older students like myself, Rick, Andrew, Ro, and Randy it was fun but next time I'll bring a bigger fan. Perhaps attending the Boat class next winter will ensure cooler temps. But as much as I was impressed with Joel's classic Suburban, a boat is too much work for one detailer!

Looking forward to another Vendor sponsored Roadshow class in 2020.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not only was the class great and I don't know about the rest of you that attended the class, but Santa came bye and left me a nice a box of goodies!

Thank You Mike and AutoGeek for the gifts.

That was very nice of you!

Post Thanks / Like

Not only was the class great and I don't know about the rest of you that attended the class, but Santa came bye and left me a nice a box of goodies!

Yep, Christmas in June. I got my goodies yesterday! Thanks Mike and AG for a great class. And we didn't get much time to sit in those chairs!

14. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 69385vette View Post

Yep, Christmas in June. I got my goodies yesterday! Thanks Mike and AG for a great class. And we didn't get much time to sit in those chairs!

These are products and samples from some of the sponsors for our car detailing classes... Did it look like this?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast