autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Pictures & Comments - 2018 New Jersey Roadshow Detailing Class

Continued....

Our Roadshow Classes are set up to take place on Friday and Saturday and then Sunday is open for anyone that has already taken and passed the IDA written tests to become "IDA Certified Detailer". Autogeek supports the goals of the IDA or International Detailing Association and as such we provide education and training to ensure anyone detailing professionally is growing in both knowledge and skills.

The Autogeek Roadshow Classes are set-up so you can attend one day, or both days. Each day is $495.00. If you sign-up for any upcoming class 30 days before the date of the class you get a $100.00 store credit at Autogeek.com - if you sign up for both days 30 days before the date of the class you get a $200.00 store credit.

The idea being we have to have a safety margin of people already signed-up BEFORE we start shipping 2000 POUNDS of tools and products hundreds and thousands of miles from Stuart, Florida. If you've ever owned a business and had to make important financial decisions then you can understand the reasoning behind the store credit for signing up early. No one signs up? We cancel the class and move on.

Class Topics
    I put a lot or work and thought into how to structure a 2 day class where theoretically a person may only take one day. I PURPOSEFULLY chose to make the two days VERY DIFFERENT because in a perfect world we want people to sign-up for BOTH days. We also understand that the price for both days is not always in everyone's budget so I created compelling topics for both days but using different tools, pads and products. If you're brand new to car detailing then both days are great as you're going to learn a lot and also get pure 100% HANDS-ON time behind a multitude of tools so that when you leave you will have the confidence you need to tackle anything in your garage. Same goes for anyone that attends and details for money. After the class you'll have the confidence to tackle any car detailing project or the WISDOM to turn the project down.

Topics for both days include,

Multiple Step Paint Correction
    This is where you put the paint through a series of step to maximize defect removal and perfection of the paint. This type of work is done for show cars or ANY car that you love. The process includes compounding, polishing and then either sealing with a wax or sealant or chemically stripping the paint and then sealing the paint with a ceramic paint coating. Each day covers 2 distinct types of tools and 4 cars so there's PLENTY of room for everyone to buff. (notice I always have large cars in my classes).

One-step paint detailing
    This is where you put the paint through a single step or use what is called a cleaner/wax or AIO to restore the factory new shine. This type of work is done for daily drivers, like the car you driver to and from work each day. The technique you learn are important because you use a one-step cleaner/wax very different than a finishing wax also called a show car wax. (When I use the word "wax" it is a generic term for both carnauba waxes or synthetic paint sealants). This portion of the class takes place AFTER the students use 2 different tool sets. When we get to this point I call this, free-for-all. This means the student gets to use the tool of their choice in order to spend more time with the tool. In every class I've ever taught, the class is blown away from the results they can get from ONE step after seeing all the work and time that goes into doing 3 to 4 steps. That said, they also learn that there is a time and reason for doing both multiple-step detailing and one-step correction work and when to use one over the other. No stone is left unturned in our classes.

Friday Tools

8mm Short Stroke Polisher
    These are the easiest tools to learn how to use and master, (that's two things). I teach people how to walk before they learn to run. This includes primarily the Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher because out of all the 8mm free spinning tools on the market this is the MOST POWERFUL version and in my opinion the best bang for the buck. I do bring in other examples of 8mm free spinning orbital polishers so the class can try them all out and come to their own conclusion as to which has the most power.

RUPES Paint Polishing SYSTEM
    Note the word SYSTEM is all capital letters. RUPES is NOT a tool, it's a SYSTEM and I teach it as a system. I am also the author of the only how-to book on the market for the RUPES system and when you receive your copy of the RUPES book you will find in the book I also teach RUPES as a system approach to polishing paint. The RUPES system work great and in the Friday class you will learn to use the RUPES system as a system. Later down the road if you want to experiment with different pads and products that's up to you but if you find you don't get consistent, professional results when mixing and matching non-RUPES pads and product with RUPES tools you will have the foundational knowledge, experience and skills to return to the RUPES system.

One step paint detailing
    This is where besides the normal steps of cleaning a car and removing any bonded contaminants, you do ONE STEP to the paint by machine. This is a NORMAL procedure in the production detailing industry only in this class you learn how to get professional results, not create a hacked-up, swirled out mess. The techniques you learn to do high quality one-step production detailing will also help you anytime you're working on RVs, Boats or Airplanes as these three categories of transportation are almost always tackled using a one-step cleaner/wax or for those of you that prefer the short three letter word for one-step cleaner/wax an AIO. (Cleaner/wax or cleaner/sealant and AIO are the EXACT same thing, just the letters change).

Saturday Tools

FLEX Power Tools
    FLEX is a huge player in the car detailing world with their infamous 8mm GEAR-DRIVEN orbital Polisher the XC 3401 VRG. Years ago when I wrote my FLEX how to book I coined the nickname the BEAST to describe the power of the FLEX 3401 and it is a fast and powerful way to do major paint correction without having to use a rotary buffer. WE also cover the FLEX XFE7-15 which is a 15mm free spinning long stroke orbital polisher with the nickname the FINISHER. The Finisher is just that, it's for doing final finishing work to refine the results created by the BEAST and to maximize gloss and clarity. At this time FLEX does not have their own chemical line so I will showcase the FLEX tools with any chemical line that in my opinion and experience uses great abrasive technology. If you don't know what I mean by great abrasive technology than all you have to do is start reading the AGO forum as I talk about this all the time and how it is the MOST important factor when it comes to polishing paint.

Griot's BOSS System
    The Griot's BOSS system consists primarily of the G21 and G15 long stroke orbital polishers with one having 21mm orbit stroke length and the other having a 15mm orbits stroke length but also includes a complete SYSTEM of matching pads, compounds, polishes and a finishing sealant. The Griot's BOSS system is a strong performer and provides consistent pro grade results as good as any other tool or system on the market. The BOSS creams, which consist of 2 compounds, a medium cut polish and a fine cut finishing sealant that both offers light cutting and sealing of the paint uses GREAT abrasive technology, and as mentioned previously, the MOST important factor when it comes to polishing paint is the stuff that is actually touching the paint, not you the person.

One step paint detailing
    This is where besides the normal steps of cleaning a car and removing any bonded contaminants, you do ONE STEP to the paint by machine. This is a NORMAL procedure in the production detailing industry only in this class you learn how to get professional results, not create a hacked-up, swirled out mess. The techniques you learn to do high quality one-step production detailing will also help you anytime you're working on RVs, Boats or Airplanes as these three categories of transportation are almost always tackled using a one-step cleaner/wax or for those of you that prefer the short three letter word for one-step cleaner/wax an AIO. (Cleaner/wax or cleaner/sealant and AIO are the EXACT same thing, just the letters change).

Besides the above tools taught on Friday and Saturday, we also cover as many other exterior car detailing topics and techniques as can be packed into a one day class. Anyone that has taken any of our classes, (3-day here at Autogeek in Stuart, Florida, our 2-day roadshow class or our annual boat detailing class, knows these are FAST PACED classes and there is little to no sitting on your butt time. That said, we can only pack so many topics into a 10 hour class but we always do the best that we can.

Misc. topics include,

• Wet wash engine detailing
    • Cosmetic engine detailing
    • Topical glass polishing
    • Sub-surface glass polishing
    • All forms of mechanical decontamination
    • Chemical decontamination
    • Car washing including - traditional hose and bucket wash, foam gun, waterless wash and rinseless wash
    • Plastic trim restoration
    • Headlight correction
    • Tires and wheels - Tire dressings, tire coatings and machine scrubbing
    • Dr. Color Chip Rock Chip Repair
    • Canvas top cleaning and protecting - RaggTopp
    • Vinyl top cleaning and protecting - 303 Aerospace
    • Taping off and covering up
    • Paint Thickness Gages and how to use for protection and marketing
    • Swirl Finder Lights
    • And many other minor topics that have huge impact

Big Picture
    The above is a synopsis of what both days look like but pictures tell the real story. After this post I will start sharing pictures taken at this roadshow class that took place at the Shield and Sheen Detail Shop in Windsor, New Jersey. We have 7 more roadshow classes coming up in the next few weeks and months.

If you want to take your knowledge level and skill level to a higher level then clear your schedule, figure out your budget and get signed up.

I've been teaching classes now for 31 years and I welcome both beginners and seasoned veterans. If you're a newbie, don't be intimidated, I guarantee the class will be both fun and educational. If you've been detailing cars for 5, 10, 15, 20 and even 30 years, don't think there's nothing you cannot learn, I know from decades of FEEDBACK that even seasoned veterans in this industry love all our classes.

Click the below link to get information about all 3 of our current types of detailing classes

Autogeek's Detailing Classes - 3-day here at Stuart, 2-day Roadshow - 2-day Boat Detailing Class

To sign-up over the phone, simply call Andre

1-800-869-3011 x244

2. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued....

Class starts at 7:30am SHARP! This means you get here around 7:00am so you can do all the other things you need to do so you don't slow everyone else down, things like,

• Park your car
    • Get your name tag
    • Enjoy some hot coffee and donuts
    • Meet you new friends
    • Use the facilities

The above takes time so technically the class starts at 7:00am but the ACTION starts at 7:30am and we go until 5:30pm and that comes to 10 HOURS of hands-on training. You'll see, just keep reading.

First thing Friday morning - 8mm Free Spinning Short Stroke Orbital Polishers

These are the Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polishers and also some Griot's 3" Mini Polishers, some with 3" backing plates and some with 2" backing plats. Off to the right are some Porter Cables, Meguiar's MT300 and the Chemical Guys Torq 10FX

Below are high-end products from Pinnacle Natural Brilliance including,

Waterless wash
    Clay Lube
    Pinnacle Ultra Fine Poly Clay (in the box on top of the waterless wash)
    Advanced Compound
    Advanced Finishing Polish
    Liquid and Paste Souveran Waxes

Below you can see a collection of Lake Country Foam 5.5" Flat Pads, the simplest and easies to learn how-to-use foam buffing pads.

Orange - cutting
    White - polishing
    Black - finishing

Mike Phillips

Continued....

After going over the techniques for correctly using a waterless wash the class proceed to clean both cars using Pinnacle Waterless Wash.

After the waterless wash both cars were clayed to remove above surface bonded contaminants, along the way we used the Baggie Test and also the Swirl Finder Light as well as the Defelsko Paint Thickness Gage, (sorry no pictures, but it is part of all our classes), after all of the above we did a Test Spot.

The correct way to do a Test Spot

Most people when asked why is it important to do a Test Spot only give or know half of the answer. The first part of the answer is to do some testing and then use the least aggressive product to get the job done. The part most people either forget or don't know or simply don't know how to verbalize is,

The reason you do a test spot to dial in the least aggressive products to get the job done is to get the job done while leaving the MOST PAINT on the car.

Remember, the factory clear on modern cars is thinner than a post-it note so you don't teach people to simply start out with a compound but instead, test a polish first to see what can be done. Later in this class everyone will see this very important concept in practice.

After doing the Test Spot, it was determined that both cars needed to be compounded followed by polishing in order to remove the swirls and scratches to show car quality. (my expectation)

The class started in the classroom at 7:30am sharp and by about 8:30, after drawing for prizes from RUPES, Tornador, Metro-Vac, everyone was out of their chair learning the art of polishing paint using 8mm short stroke free spinning orbital polishers.

Compounding with Pinnacle Advanced Compound and Lake Country Pads

Next up... polishing with Pinnacle Advanced Polish

Next up... machine applying Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba Wax

Towel Inspection
    After the class applied a uniform layer of wax and allowed it to dry, next up everyone INSPECTS their microfiber towels, then using microfiber gloves CAREFULLY removes the wax. For this portion of the class I cover a LOT of techniques to insure a show car finish without re-instilling scratches which would be what I call, working backwards.

Towel inspection is so important and my guess hardly ever taught, or performed... but by the time the day is over, via repetition, everyone in the class will now have towel inspection as a new "Best Practice".

Wax-on, Wax-off!

5. Likes JKDesign, SWETM, axel06 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued....

Also - little things like how to correctly remove painter's tape off of custom paint jobs so as not to break anything or remove paint are techniques covered in all classes.

And we always try to get convertible with vinyl tops and canvas tops show we can show the correct and safe way to both wash and protect these two types of tops. For this 1967 Corvette Convertible with a vinyl convertible top we used 303 Protectant.

7. Likes SWETM, axel06 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued....

Here are the beauty shots....

Process
    • Pinnacle Waterless Wash
    • Inspection for swirls and contaminants
    • Pinnacle Ultra Fine Detailing Clay
    • Pinnacle Advanced Compound
    • Pinnacled Advanced Finishing Polish
    • Pinnacle Souveran Wax
    • 303 Aerospace Protectant on the white vinyl top on the Corvette
    • Stick a fork in them and kick them out the door

Here's Friday's class

From left to right

Bob, Matt, Rahul, Nick, Tom, Kate, Joseph, Roman, Stephan, Josh, Ivo (in the back behind Josh), Alex, Joe, Lee, David, Christy, John, Pete, Jim, Dave, Axel, Ifong, Mark, Allen and me

Excellent work everyone!

9. Likes SWETM, axel06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats to all attending the class for a well done work! And congrats to those passing the IDA certified!

/Tony

Mike Phillips

Continued...

Next up we go over the RUPES Paint Polishing System.

For this session we have a 2008 Mercedes-Benz with the factory Ceramiclear paint system and a 2010 BMW M1

Anytime I read a comment by anyone in the blogosphere when they are talking about Ceramiclear paints, they always say the same thing,

Ceramiclear paints are rock hard"

I always respectfully completely disagree and I prove my take on Ceramiclear paints in this class - LIVE in front of 22 people

Here's me doing the Test Spot

More pictures to come showing the class in action, but until I can process them, here's the finished results...

Finished!

From left to right,

Joseph, Matt, Ifong, Bob, Nick, Ivo, Alex, Rahul, Dave, Joe, Jim, David, John, Alex, Pete, Christy, Josh, Allen, Mark, Lee, Stephan and Roman

Mike Phillips

Continued...

Placeholder #1 for RUPES shots

Mike Phillips

Continued...

Placeholder #2 for RUPES shots

Mike Phillips

Continued...

Placeholder #3 for RUPES shots