autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pictures from Autogeek's Competition Ready Roadshow Detailing Class at Waxstock in England!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

Big announcement coming soon too...

Season two of Competion Ready?

The shows were getting better with each episode. I'm getting bored with Carini. (Not really, love that show)

We need more MP

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pictures from Autogeek's Competition Ready Roadshow Detailing Class at Waxstock in England!

I like those "traps" in those buckets and would like a couple of those. Who makes them?

Also, those extensions on those PE 8 compact rotarys' are pretty sweet as well. Would be nice if AG offered those.
    Bill

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Big announcement coming soon too...

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post

Season two of Competion Ready?

I haven't seen anything public about whether there's going to be a second season or not yet. The announcment I'm talking about is something different.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post

I like those "traps" in those buckets and would like a couple of those. Who makes them?
    I'm not sure? I just sent pj the link to this thread, maybe he can chime in with the answer. Looks like a version of the Grit Guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post

Also, those extensions on those PE 8 compact rotaries' are pretty sweet as well.

Would be nice if AG offered those.
    I like them too... the extensions you see in the picture are metric so they won't work on U.S. rotary buffers but it's possible there's a U.S. standard version. I let Nick know, maybe he has a source.

Mike Phillips

First things first....

We went over a LOT of tools and techniques in this one day class. I teach two methods of washing cars,

The Aggressive Approach- This is for getting a car surgically clean before any machine polishing.

The Gentle Approach - This is for maintaining the finish on a car that's been properly machine polished and sealed.

These are very different approaches and in my thinking, it's important to know both. We had two white cars here and neglected white paint works great for showing how iron removers like Ferrous Dueller Iron Remover works to remove iron contamination so we chose the 1965 Mustang and the 1979 Trans Am for teaching how to use the aggressive approach for washing cars before machine polishing.

Dodo Juice Ferrous Dueller for removing embedded iron contamination

One thing I always do is what I call,

Document the ugly

That is, I do my best to get great pictures that shows the true and accurate condition of the paint before they are detailed.

To the untrained eye, the paint looks fine on this Mustang.

Now let's light up the paint with a FLEX Swirl Finder Light...

Yeah.... the paint on this Mustang is far from fine but it's going to be better than fine after my class works their magic.

This is the 1979 Trans Am. It had a LOT of really deep swirls and scratches and while my class won't be able to remove 100% of them they will remove a majority of them.

Class starts with an actual class, that is we go through a Power Point Presentation that covers basic information and paint, products and procedures, or what I call,

The Three Ps

Now it's time to get the first two cars clean using the aggressive approach to washing a car.

Using Nanoskin towels and mitts to mechanically decontaminate the paint during the washing process.

Using the Foam Gun to slather the paint with car wash foam...

Working as a team not only creates a great learning experience it's also a lot of fun and you will make new friends with the same passion!

This first session was off to a great start. Above all when detailing cars it's vitally important to...

Work Clean

Mike Phillips

Hands-on Training - Real world experience

A chemically decontaminating the paint and then mechanically decontaminating the paint, rinsing and drying, it was time for the fun part of all our classes and that's putting time in behind the buffers. People learn by doing, not sitting in a chair and listening to someone drone on and on and on....

1965 Mustang

We always start with the easiest machine to learn how to use and master, (that's two things), and for this class these would be the Dodo Juice Buff Daddy dual action orbital polishers. This style of polisher has been used around the world for around 30 years now to de-swirl paint and create true show car results.

The key to getting great results with the Buff Daddy DA Polisher are,

1: Use great abrasive technology - In this case we're using Wolfgang Uber Compound followed by Wolfgang Uber Finishing Glaze which is actually a fine cut polish not a glaze.

2: Use the correct and appropriate pad for the job. For the Mustang and the Trans Am we're using Lake Country 5.5" Flat Pads. Orange for the compound and white for the polish.

3: Use the correct and proper technique and that's what we go over in our classes.

First up a demonstration over correct and also incorrect technique

Here's Yancy doing what he does best....

Inspecting the results after compounding a Test Spot.

What's ironic is if you do the demo right and you're using great products, pads and tools - there's nothing to see except swirl free paint!

Key to using dual action polishers like the Buff Daddy DA Polisher when doing the compounding step is to only work a small section at a time. About 16" x 16" squarish or the size of the average microfiber towel.

Time for the class to take over...

Next up.... the beauty shots!

Mike Phillips

Here's the final results for the 1965 Mustang!

Perfect work guys!

Mike Phillips

Next up... the 1979 Trans Am

Like the Mustang, we started with chemical decontamination with Dodo Juice Ferrous Dueller Iron Remover to remove embedded iron particles and then followed this with mechanical decontamination to remove all the above surface bonded contaminants. Then re-washed using the Autogeek Foam Gun, rinsed and dried.

The FLEX 3401 aka THE BEAST! - The official FLEX name for the FLEX 3401 is now the BEAST!

The paint on the Trans Am was probably the worst out of the 6 training cars in that it had a lot of deep swirls and just as many random straight line scratches throughout the finish. There was also a lot of Orange Peel which acts to mute reflections. For this car I chose to show how to use the FLEX 3401 which is a gear-driven orbital polisher. For abrasive technology we're using the same products we used on the Mustang and that's the Wolfgang Uber Compound followed by the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze, (which is a fine cut polish not a glaze). We used Lake Country 6.5" Hybrid pads in orange, white and black. If you've read my how-to book, then you know I highly recommend the Hybrid pads for this tool. The hybrid pads are about an 1 1/4" thick with a taper design to them and matched to the FLEX 3401 they can really knock out a car fast.

How to use the FLEX 3401 for both Show Car Detailing and Production Detailing

Lake Country 6.5" Hybrid Foam Pads

First I like to demonstrate a key difference between free spinning orbital polishers and gear-driven orbital polishers using the skin on my hand. This demo usually drives the point home and with a joke or two, everyone has a good laugh. A good detailing class should be both educational and fun.

Correct technique

Next up we go over the key features and benefits of the gear-driven FLEX 3401 and the proper and correct techniques for using this tool for both correction work and final polishing work as well as how to use it to machine apply a wax or sealant.

Great Abrasive Technology

There was a question about the Wolfgang Uber Compound so I poured a little out and asked anyone that wanted to - to feel some between their fingers. Unlike old school compounds that feel gritty, Uber Compound feels like Jergens Hand Lotion, that is it's smooth and creamy. Yet when used with the right pad, the right tool and the right technique it can do amazing correction work while leaving behind a finish that looks like you just used a fine cut polish.

Wolfgang Uber Compound

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze (Fine Cut Polish)

Self-teaching

The gear-driven FLEX 3401 is what I call a self-teaching tool, if you don't hold the pad flat to the surface you'll feel it try to pull or walk around on the surface. This walking effect is telling you that YOU are not holding the pad flat to the surface so re-adjust your grip and/or how you're holding the body of the tool in relationship to the panel being buffed.

Once you get a feel for the FLEX 3401 it's a real smooth operator...

Enough demonstration - it's time for learning!

Next up... the beauty shots!

Post Thanks / Like

great experience, truly appreciate the effort you and your team put in!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by freethebadger View Post

great experience, truly appreciate the effort you and your team put in!

Thank you sir!

Lots of help from the Buff Monkey team as well as pj and Stephanie!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast