autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class Pictures - April 18th, 2015

First off - Awesome post Mike!

For those of us that just aren't quite close enough to be able to attend all the fun things that happen at Autogeek, the way you document these events in posts like this one is absolutely brilliant!!! A BIG Kiwi "Chur Bro" to you mate!

What a class to be part of. Even though I knew it was 26ft, I didn't realise just how big it was until you see the pictures with people standing beside it, what a canvas to work on. Looks like everyone had a great time & certainly a whole lot was learnt throughout the day.

A couple of quick questions for you Mike -

The Marine 31 Brightening soap - can this be used outside marine detailing? Aluminium running boards, nudge bars etc that people don't want a highly polished look?

Also - With gel-coat, is there the soft/hard scenario like automotive paints?

Well done & hats off to all invoved! Mike & Nick - top work guys, I'm sure you both run this class just as great as Boot Camp! To the people behind the scenes - props for the bits we don't see. To the class - you lucky lucky Jealous of you all. Again - thank you Mike for the in-depth post, as close as I can get (being 8000+ miles away) with out actually being there! Appreciate the effort & passion behind each post!

Aaryn NZ.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post

First off - Awesome post Mike!

For those of us that just aren't quite close enough to be able to attend all the fun things that happen at Autogeek, the way you document these events in posts like this one is absolutely brilliant!!!

A BIG Kiwi "Chur Bro" to you mate!

What a class to be part of.
    Thank you very much for the compliment Aaryn.

Nick not only helps me to teach the class but also helps me by taking pictures. It takes a little time to go through the pictures and create a thread like this but like the saying goes...

A picture tells a thousand words

There's over 100 pictures on the first page of this thread... that's a lot of words...

And the pictures in this thread will endure for as long as this forum is around and not disappear. I also add key words to every picture I upload so Google finds them when people search for help detailing boats or looking for boat detailing classes.

I know some people are very interested in the boat detailing market and a lot of boat owners simply like to do their own work, not everyone will be able to attend our boat detailing classes so the pictures of the tools, products, pads and even the action shots will help them when they tackle their boat.

Our next class is slated for August and I'm working on getting a 37' Black Contender here for that class.

Even though I knew it was 26ft, I didn't realize just how big it was until you see the pictures with people standing beside it, what a canvas to work on. Looks like everyone had a great time & certainly a whole lot was learnt throughout the day.
    Believe it or not, in some ways a large Center Console like this is a LOT easier to buff out than a smaller boat.

A couple of quick questions for you Mike -

The Marine 31 Brightening soap - can this be used outside marine detailing? Aluminum running boards, nudge bars etc that people don't want a highly polished look?
    Yes. Plus it's complete safe for you and your skin. You can where gloves if you like but there's nothing in the soap that will harm you or the environment. Also no foul smells.

You can use it by itself and wipe the residue off buy the way I teach using it in the class is to use it BEFORE washing the boat and the simply wash the residues off when you wash the boat. This saves a step and is actually faster.

Also - With gel-coat, is there the soft/hard scenario like automotive paints?
    Definitely "yes".

I actually covered the reason why in this article I wrote in 1997 called,

The Lesson White Paint Teaches Us

Here's the pertinent portion...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

The Mohs Scale of Hardness

In 1822, an Austrian scientist by the name of Fredrick Mohs created a scale from 1 to 10, for measuring and determining hardness. Hardness refers to the measure of resistance a surfaces has to abrasion. Talc is rated at 1 while a diamond is rated at 10.

Titanium dioxide, the substance used as pigmentation in white paint, is rated at 7 on the Mohs scale. As far as pigments go, titanium dioxide is very hard. By contrast, black paints, (single-stage), are soft. The pigment used to make paint black is Carbon black, which has a Mohs hardness rating of 2.

While some will argue the Mohs Hardness Scale isn't the best way to explain paint hardness, in this example I'm only using it as an indicator of the hardness of different substances used as pigments or colorants used in automotive paints and when it comes to a single stage paint the type of pigment used WILL effect the hardness or softness of the resin/paint and this will affect how easy or hard it is for someone to work on the paint.

Pigments can be hard or soft or somewhere in-between. When you add a pigment to a resin the pigment will make the resin harder or softer or keep it about the same depending upon the hardness of the pigment. White boat tend to be the hardest gel-coats there are to restore once they become seriously oxidized and stained or even filled with hologram scratches by improper buffing.

I also have the only article on the net about holograms in boats and the problems this causes to the hull and why it's such a problem in the boat manufacturing industry and the boat detailing business.

Holograms in gel-coat boats by Mike Phillips

As of this morning the above article has been viewed over 18,000 times so I know I've hit a nerve in the marine forum world.

Well done & hats off to all involved! Mike & Nick - top work guys, I'm sure you both run this class just as great as Boot Camp! To the people behind the scenes - props for the bits we don't see.

You can be assured of that. Bob McKee is not only a car guy but he's also a boat guy and he expects everyone here to provide the best in customer service in all departments including our auto and marine detailing classes. He also provides all the support that's needed to provide a "best in class" experience as you know from attending the January Detailing Boot Camp Class and boy did we have fun buffing on some incredible cars!

Pictures & Comments: January 2015 Detailing Boot Camp Class!

To the class - you lucky lucky Jealous of you all.

Again - thank you Mike for the in-depth post, as close as I can get (being 8000+ miles away) with out actually being there!

Appreciate the effort & passion behind each post!

Aaryn NZ.

Thanks Aaryn, as a detailer and a forum member that knows how much work not only goes into a proper detail but also the time and work that goes behind capturing the pictures and then creating a proper write-up that's a really nice compliment.

Super Member antti@561detailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I want to hear more about this coating...someone contacted me about their boat. While I didn't take the class...I was there when we did Eric's boat, and it's a lot of work. Great work guys.
    561 Car Detailing Gtechniq Accredited Detailer

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by antti@561detailing View Post

I want to hear more about this coating...someone contacted me about their boat. While I didn't take the class...I was there when we did Eric's boat, and it's a lot of work. Great work guys.

It's the Captain's Coating in the Marine 31 line.

Marine 31 Captain's Boat Coating with UV50

I'd recommend getting signed-up for the next class Antti, it's only $300.00 and we go over so much in the class.

Here's the link to get signed-up...

Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class - February 6th, 2016

The class will basically follow the contents of my new how-to book which I wrote as an outline for the class.

How To Detail Boats With Marine 31

Hope to see you in February.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12