autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: From NEGLECTED to RESPECTED! 1985 Cougar Tunnel Hull Extreme Makeover at Autogeek

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    My Sanger used a Casale V-Drive with 18% overdrive. Engine is a 402 BBC with small port closed chamber heads. Engine builder is Tim Briggs, means something in Oregon.

Carbs were 660 Center Squirters and Tim reground the linkage to make them progressive like a Double Pumper instead of all 8 barrels dumping at once. Some of you will know what this means.

Before modifying the linkage, when you put the pedal to the metal and all 8 barrels would dump at once, sometime the engine would backfire and it would throw a flame ball out the front of the scoop and past your ears.

Prop was a 17" pitch 2-blade - each time the prop makes one rotation it would propel the boat forward 17" - or that was the hope or theory.

It takes special talent to run a flat bottom V Drive at speed. Working both the throttle and the cavitation plate at the same time requires guts, serious coordination, and a "feel" for the boat. Mike I know you paid a dear price but I appreciate the fact that you still miss your Sanger.
    Rick....now in North Texas

2. Likes Aaryn NZ, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: From NEGLECTED to RESPECTED! 1985 Cougar Tunnel Hull Extreme Makeover at Autogeek

my dad has a boat, my buddy has a boat. everyone says don't buy a boat, use someone else, but this makes me want to find a discounted boat that needs some cosmetic tlc. Found one on craigslist even haha.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belo View Post
    my dad has a boat, my buddy has a boat. everyone says don't buy a boat, use someone else's
    This is correct.

I worked on boats and on the water for almost 40 years. Don't do it. Lol

BOAT- Bust Out Another Thousand.

Definition of a boat: A huge hole in the water that you try to fill with cash.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Mike Phillips

More....

Before I took off for the Texas Roadshow Detailing Class I was doing garage laundry and took this picture. This shows how many pads we used to do the correction and polishing work to the Cougar Tunnel Hull.

Today I put the foam pads away. Have not washed the wool pads yet.

I'm sharing this because from experience, I would say most people, most detailers included, don't know how many pads it takes to do this type of work. Here's a clue... it takes more than one pad.

6. Likes JKDesign, SWETM liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123