autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Anybody Here ever moved from Big House to Tiny House?

The question is:Anybody Here ever moved from Big House to Tiny House?I'm tired of the Big house (3000 SF)all the upkeep,always needing to do maintenance,big taxes,big yard etc.I I know I'm ready for a smaller house and yard.Just not sure I would be able to live in a tiny house?I've never lived in an apartment or condo,don'[t want to be next to somebody.So I will go from a house of some kind to a nursing home or you know where.
    So has:Anybody Here ever moved from Big House to Tiny House? If so what are the pros and cons?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anybody Here ever moved from Big House to Tiny House?

Quote Originally Posted by tony58 View Post
    The question is:Anybody Here ever moved from Big House to Tiny House?I'm tired of the Big house (3000 SF)all the upkeep,always needing to do maintenance,big taxes,big yard etc.I I know I'm ready for a smaller house and yard.Just not sure I would be able to live in a tiny house?I've never lived in an apartment or condo,don'[t want to be next to somebody.So I will go from a house of some kind to a nursing home or you know where.
    So has:Anybody Here ever moved from Big House to Tiny House? If so what are the pros and cons?
    I was contemplating on selling my house last year,I built it from scratch .Ive looked at some rentals there just as much or more than a mortgage today,moving out of a 3500 sq foot house into a 1200 sq foot apartment will not do it for me.Im not gonna pay 1500 a month for a two bedroom.my ac unit is on life support its 12 years old gonna be replaced soon.

Post Thanks / Like

I have less than a year ago. Old house was 3000 sqft, 5 bedrooms the smallest was 14x18, large finished basement, huge laundry room for sorting and folding laundry, 3/4 acre mostly grass lot with a few trees and big flower beds, 3 full bathrooms, you get the idea.
    New house is smaller, about 2100 sqft 600 sqft unfinished basement so the house could be bigger, 4 bedrooms the smallest is 12x12, 2.5 baths, small city lot, laundry "room" is the entry way into the garage so no room for sorting folding. Very open floor plan, with a loft so lots less wall space for pictures.
    The consensus, we like it better. Cleaning 3 bathrooms sucks, we only had beds in four of the rooms before and now (two kids and a guest room). The kids had e basement for their area before, now they have the loft. We didn't have a formal living or dining room before nor now so no loss. Smaller nicer more manageable lot now.
    Sacrifices on pictures had to be made, my signed Jack Brabbem, Villeneuve (2), Schumacher, and Phil Hill prints aren't up (yet) as we have less wall space. We don't have extra room that is liveable but not used. All the usable room is what we use on a daily basis except the guest room and office. Best of all, went from a two car garage with two one car doors, to a three car garage.
    So would we do it again? Yes, maybe not this area, but would sacrifice the house size

Neighbors, we had them before but the way the house was, none in back, none directly across the street, and the ones on each side was set so we couldn't see them looking out the windows at the angles we did.
    Here, someone directly behind us, directly across the street, but our house is at the end so nobody on one side. We got used tonit pretty fast.
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

Post Thanks / Like

I lived in a 2700 sq ft home on 7 acres with a 1600 sq ft shop. Living off the stock market. 2008 came and wiped me out. Moved to a smaller place, an apt, with all my belongings stored in the shop while trying to sell the place. Arson fire burned the shop down and I lost all that too, tools, pictures, furniture, everything, along with lowering the property value so I took a loss when I sold it.
    Pros of a smaller place? You cant collect as much stuff. Fewer things to move. Utilities are cheaper, generally.
    Cons? You cant collect as much stuff. Harder to have "your space".
    The wife and I have been talking about getting a "tiny house" after the last kid leaves. He's a senior this year, so we will see.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you talking just a smaller house, or literally a "Tiny" house like how they seem to be kinda trendy now? I've seen stuff on TV where the houses are literally like 200-300sqft with a two beds a bath and kitchen/living area (some even smaller) check it out: Tiny House Listings - Tiny and Small Homes For Sale. They are SUPER tiny, but kinda cool. IF I was single without kids, I may consider it, but I'd have to have a separate shop (even though that defeats a lot of the purpose of having the "tiny" house.
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

I would lose my mind in one of those "tiny houses", I caught a show the other day and watched it with people buying them.... f' that lol

One on the show had the toilet off the kitchen, you could take a dump and cook at the same time as it was next to the stove
    The real WyStang:

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

After retiring moved from big house to much smaller, after a couple months your used to it, you adapt, easily. This is normal, should I move back to a big house, I would go through the adapting phase again. Plus now in the little house, as I get older, it seems bigger, in the terms of energy spent to maintain.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Fellows,thanks for all the replys.I'm just kicking some ideas around.I'm considering what my options are.I'm ready to downsize but my wife isn't,but she is coming around.I either want a large tiny home or small house.I have a 40x40 metal out building(Garage)now.So the 1st thing I would do is build a 40x60 Metal building when I do move.Thats where All my cars and tools and so fourth can go.
    Might put a driveway down to middle and a his and hers tiny house on each side.
    Here is one DELUXE tiny house I've looked at.It is completely built, ready to move in.All you would need is your clothes,table and chairs and couch.It is super built with all appliances.
    Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc2Ch6czYJU

Post Thanks / Like

I'm only 44 I can manage the yard and maintenance ,the only thing I gripe about is the electric bill,in south fla my summer time bill is like 500 every month no matter what I do run the pool less keep the house cool by closing every blind it come down 40 less a month.Then if I need heat the bill will be the same.house was built in 2004 ,my ac unit is kinda old maybe a new one will shave some money off my monthly bill,ac guys will tell you 130 less on your bill with a new unit but not true they just want to push a new unit on you.

Post Thanks / Like

Big house = big bills + big headaches. Wife and I looked for 2 years at down sizing but unless we build we cant get what we want and we are to busy to build a house right now in our life. For now we decided to stay put as we can afford it but it from time to time is a pain dealing with the up keep. Its a hard choice once you have a big bedroom and big kitchen (and for car guy big garage) its hard going back I know I am not ready to loose those.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast