autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lovely weather were having

What a nice a day it is today.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: More gun control my @ss, how about child control actual parenting

Apparently we have the highest per-capita gun ownership in the world, by far (I don't know if, per your conjecture, gun ownership here is "at an all-time low").

I don't really see how much deterrent effect an armed populace would have, given that most of these mass shooters seem to wind up killing themselves. Arguably the couple yesterday committed "suicide by cop".

Again, the threat of death isn't much of a deterrent to people that aren't afraid to die, are willing to blow themselves up (Paris), etc.

Mike Phillips

Just to chime in...

Historically we avoid political discussions on this forum for two general reasons,

1. This is a forum for discussing car wax and car detailing.

2. There are thousands of political discussion forum and even gun forums to share your thoughts.

Most of us here on this forum have more in common than we do in differences simply because we're car guys (and car girls), and we all have a passion for making things clean and shiny.

Beyond that there's probably a lot diversity among us and while no one ever intends to offend anyone else these types of discussions do tend to end up doing this and nothing good ever comes from it.

So while I love a healthy political discussion and all my close friends know I'm a news junkie, how about we just let this thread go and get back to topics related to car detailing?

One thing for sure... as soon as it gets out of control the Moderators will close it.

Post Thanks / Like

And tomorrow will be even better

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mike.phillips@autogeek View Post
    most of us here on this forum have more in common than we do in differences simply because we're car guys (and car girls), and we all have a passion for making things clean and shiny.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by mike.phillips@autogeek View Post
    beyond that there's probably a lot diversity among us and while no one ever intends to offend anyone else these types of discussions do tend to end up doing this and nothing good ever comes from it.
    +1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    I was thinking about this the other day after the Paris attacks. If there was an attack here with many organized terrorist, would you hear of people loading up in pickups and heading there trying to take them down.
    Um, that happened yesterday, didn't you see truckfull after truckfull of armed people heading there trying to take them down? I did, they were wearing clothes that said things like POLICE, SHERIFF, SWAT, etc. And by golly, they were pretty successful, must be all that government training and equipment. It's hard to see how a bunch of civilians would have improved things or the outcome.

That being said, I'm going to hew to the line that Mike Phillips has suggested, and end my participation in this (what I'm sure will be short-lived) thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't think this is the right place and Mike is right it will just devolve into shouting matches. A topic like this is like arguing which season is better Summer or Winter, some like the cold some like the heat.

All I will say is, giving everyone a gun isn't the answer but neither is banning guns. What we need is better background checks, more psych checks and to hold gun shop owners/sellers accountable to under the table weapons sales that result in crimes. If a gun was sold illegally, to someone unfit to own one by a gun shop or owner of a gun shop he should be held liable if that gun is then used in a crime to threaten/kill a civilian or a LEO.
    When life hands you melons, you might have dyslexia

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, please shut it down.

I don't want to see everyone arguing about it. I know there are many mixed opinions.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lovely weather were having

Sweden may have a higher per-capita gun ownership than us, but that is because they have no army--just a militia who keeps their guns at home, but are not permitted to keep ammunition in their homes.

Statistics have overwhelmingly shown that if you keep a gun at home for protection that gun is more likely to be used in a suicide or accidental death rather than for protection.

Tuesday the House Republicans blocked a debate on a bill that would close a loophole allowing suspected terrorists to legally buy guns. The bill would bar gun sales to those on the government’s no-fly list. More than 2,000 suspects on the FBI’s Terrorist Watchlist bought weapons in the U.S. over the past 11 years, according to the federal Government Accountability Office

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lovely weather were having

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    Sweden may have a higher per-capita gun ownership than us, but that is because they have no army--just a militia who keeps their guns at home, but are not permitted to keep ammunition in their homes.

Statistics have overwhelmingly shown that if you keep a gun at home for protection that gun is more likely to be used in a suicide or accidental death rather than for protection.

Tuesday the House Republicans blocked a debate on a bill that would close a loophole allowing suspected terrorists to legally buy guns. The bill would bar gun sales to those on the government’s no-fly list. More than 2,000 suspects on the FBI’s Terrorist Watchlist bought weapons in the U.S. over the past 11 years, according to the federal Government Accountability Office

Can we end the political discussion? This world is ugly and it's beautiful, let's just enjoy the ride....and our rides after we detail them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast