autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Roll Call! Who drives a MANUAL transmission?

My everyday "get-it-done" vehicle which I pretty much have only to steer is a Toyota Sienna with. of course, automatic. I DRIVE, actually am really engaged with the machine, a 6-speed manual 2010 Porsche Cayman S only on Sundays so that it is always a special treat. Ham Mason (Splashboy)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 01GreyStangGT View Post
    Manual in my 2011 Mustang GTCS.
    That's the only way to travel in a Mustang! Way cool and you have great taste in cars too!!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davey g-force View Post
    I think it's important to differentiate between a true auto (i.e. with a torque converter) and a dual clutch automated manual (e.g. DSG, PDK etc).

In my book, DSGs, PDKs etc are still manuals since they still have a clutch(es) and not torque converters. They just happen to be controlled by, or assisted by a computer.

What you said above is true for dual clutch automated manual transmissions, but generally untrue for traditional torque converter autos.
    No, I am going to stick with it as far as for the most part all autos. Check the specs of even mundane cars that offer both transmission options (manual and automatic) and even ones with conventional torque converter autos still get better mpgs than the manual now. And high performance cars with standard autos, mercedes AMG's, the Corvette etc shift super fast.

And while you are correct that a automated manual is a manual controlled by computer, since there is no clutch pedal and no shifter, its an automatic!!

Post Thanks / Like

My Jeep CJ is a manual, but it's not moving much yet. I'm slowly collecting parts to convert my 63 Studebaker to a T-5 5 speed manual. My dd is an auto. Chicago traffic would not be fun in a manual.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davey g-force View Post
    I think it's important to differentiate between a true auto (i.e. with a torque converter) and a dual clutch automated manual (e.g. DSG, PDK etc).

In my book, DSGs, PDKs etc are still manuals since they still have a clutch(es) and not torque converters. They just happen to be controlled by, or assisted by a computer.

What you said above is true for dual clutch automated manual transmissions, but generally untrue for traditional torque converter autos.
    Sorry have to disagree. Automatics, DSG and PDK have only 2 pedals. ALL are controlled by a computer. A manual has 3 pedals. The (3rd) clutch pedal differentiates the auto, dsg or pdk. As someone said before and I am stealing what he said because it is true...

You drive with a Manual and you Steer with an auto.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

<---- 6spd

Post Thanks / Like

All my cars are manual. I've yet to own an automatic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    Sorry have to disagree. Automatics, DSG and PDK have only 2 pedals. ALL are controlled by a computer. A manual has 3 pedals. The (3rd) clutch pedal differentiates the auto, dsg or pdk. As someone said before and I am stealing what he said because it is true...

You drive with a Manual and you Steer with an auto.
    True, true and TRUE
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

There's transmissions other than manual!? WHAAAT! NO WAY! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by addysdaddy View Post
    I hear you Mike and completely agree. I would venture to say most posters have never driven the DCT in the M4 or a PDK tranny from Porsche in the sport plus mode. It truly IS a manual transmission with two pedals - in all respects requires the same driver input(s) and complete attention making it a much more involved experience than up straight automatic. The other advantage the PDK has is when there's bumper to bumper you can put into "stupid" mode and just chug along with the rest of traffic. My point is simply these transmissions give you options that the three pedal version obviously cannot. YMMV and drive whatever pleases you - but don't criticize something until you've actually try it.
    Yes sir. That is right.

I see many on here knocking the automated manual transmissions and thinking they are of the normal torque converter style transmissions when in fact they are electro/hydraulic clutch style transmissions. Sure they may function like an automatic in the way that you can put them in gear and just drive it but that is where the similarities end.

Another key advantage of this style transmissions is the programmable shift patterns from comfort like to firm enough that you feel like the diff will explode with each rapid fire gear change. Not to mention the having launch control built in that will always allow the car to take off as quickly as possible each and every time.

I have driven enough laps around the Nurburgring in my 6MT 335i to know the feeling of "being connected" to the vehicle/track. Heck, I have even taken an F16 pilot around the track as a passenger and scared him silly. However with the constant lefts and rights, elevation changes in quick succession, passing vehicles or being passed, it can be a real challenge to get the 'ol brain to process everything and make your body follow suit with what needs to be accomplished.

With the DCT, PDK, DSG, etc. it will allow you to really focus more on the task at hand without fear of the "money shift".

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast