autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: VW Scandal

Post Thanks / Like

Re: VW Scandal

I'm going to take the car owners side in the diesel engine/pollution mess.

If I knew that "my diesel" could get hugely improved performance and mpg with a 40% increase in tailpipe emissions I would buy the programmer at once.

And when it came time for a SMOG check I would re-install the factory tune. And pass SMOG

No shits would be given.

Perhaps it's time to reign in the government's ability to control the population's buying choices in automobiles, guns, food, and medicines. And a whole lot of other things.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    VW...
    being embroiled in some "scandal"?

Hasn't that always been part-and-parcel
    of its illustrious history?

Bob
    Bob brother... sometimes you just crack me up!

BTW, liked your next reply, BIG TIME.

For those that didn't see it... This Week with John Oliver did a section on the VW ordeal.
    (Warning... language at the end, in the parody commercial isn't exactly 'forum worthy'.)

Post Thanks / Like

Let's be honest....the only people who will care about that are the hippies that bought the TDI..not the regular people who bought it for fuel economy, but the hippies.

There, my .02c.
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldmodman View Post
    I'm going to take the car owners side in the diesel engine/pollution mess.

If I knew that "my diesel" could get hugely improved performance and mpg with a 40% increase in tailpipe emissions I would buy the programmer at once.

And when it came time for a SMOG check I would re-install the factory tune. And pass SMOG

No shits would be given.

Perhaps it's time to reign in the government's ability to control the population's buying choices in automobiles, guns, food, and medicines. And a whole lot of other things.
    I agree with you that in the above scenario, it would be YOUR choice to affect both performance and emissions. I think the difference lies in VW removing any choice from their customers and fooling everyone into thinking their "clean" diesel technology was anything but. The choice was taken away from the customer.

Post Thanks / Like

You gotta give 'em points for ingenuity though!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldmodman View Post
    Yeah, that wouldn't be so bad...except it's 40 times, not 40%...that's 4000%.

Post Thanks / Like

Except it's not 40 times the tailpipe emissions, just the NOx emissions. In fact, the tests only showed 5-35 times the NOx limit. Still blows the limit, but it's not constantly spewing 40x the legal limit on NOx. Re-activating the EGR actually increases total tailpipe emissions, and as the EGR gradually fouls the intake system and valves, it will likely make the emissions still worse. Deleting the EGR in my turbodiesel is one of the best things I've done to my car, and I'm ok with the choice I made.
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    Except it's not 40 times the tailpipe emissions, just the NOx emissions. In fact, the tests only showed 5-35 times the NOx limit. Still blows the limit, but it's not constantly spewing 40x the legal limit on NOx. Re-activating the EGR actually increases total tailpipe emissions, and as the EGR gradually fouls the intake system and valves, it will likely make the emissions still worse. Deleting the EGR in my turbodiesel is one of the best things I've done to my car, and I'm ok with the choice I made.
    Yes, I know it's NOX, and that the reports were "up to 40 times". That gets to be a slippery slope when you suggest that emissions controls aren't really worth it because eventually they won't work...hey, why bother at all, right? We could be just like China and have to shut all the factories down when we have to do things like host the Olympics or...breathe.

Part of the problem here is most people in this debate aren't old enough to remember how bad the air was here, say, in NYC in the 50's, or LA in the 60's (or Lake Erie in the 70's). It's easy to think that all this stuff doesn't make much difference. Perspective is everything.

Post Thanks / Like

The US government is over $18tril in debt, I don't really care about the VW scandal. Or maybe we should look at the over $97tril in unfunded liabilities...

Post Thanks / Like

@Setec Astronomy. I'm not arguing, but I am among those who "act local, think global." I choose to drive a car that easily gets 50 mpg combined without even trying, and on many of my drives gets closer to 70 mpg. My car's "tailpipe emissions" are substantially lower than those of just about every other ICE car on the road. I don't believe I've ever mentioned that emission controls "aren't worth it," just that EGR was always a flawed kludge that has somehow been around for decades despite countless examples of its negative aspects.
    Francesco

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.