autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's the truth about premium. They have been marketed as being "better" for your car and so many people buy into it. If you don't have high compression and/or advanced timing, premium is actually worse for your car, as you stated. If the motor requires it, it will be stated on the gauge and/or filler door.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dontsleeponit
    Do Tell More! Mobile 1 is the factory oil for the 05-06 GTO, but from what I can tell it runs a standard PF52 Delco filter...
    GM makes a standard filter for all Vettes up until mid 06, it was PF44. The synthetic version is UPF-44 and special order. I am not sure it they make one for the GTO. Its in a gold/blue/red/white box versus standard blue/red/white box from Delco.

Last edited by ScottB; 08-29-2007 at 05:05 PM.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    awesome.. ty killr I will look into it!

Post Thanks / Like

Just want to be sure I have this straight

Quote Originally Posted by blk45
    That's the truth about premium. They have been marketed as being "better" for your car and so many people buy into it. If you don't have high compression and/or advanced timing, premium is actually worse for your car, as you stated. If the motor requires it, it will be stated on the gauge and/or filler door.
    My daily driver is nothing fancy. A normal 6 cylinder motor. Manual says it will run on 87. I use Lucas fuel additive usually with an ocassional BG cleaning. So, if I buy into what the Shell gas station owner says and run high Octane, not only would it be a waste of money, but may actually tend to deposit energy robbing deposits as well? Just checking. If I got that straight I will pass the word on to some friends as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    63 bucks shipped for 4 BG44!!!!!
    Last edited by FMINUS; 08-29-2007 at 09:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FMINUS
    been using Costco, Shell, Mobile, 76, Citgo.

It all averages out to be the same via on board computer.

TSX 27
    M3 21
    S2000 24

You get 21 on your M3??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????!!!!!!!!!!????? ??? My OBC says I get 16.1 on my 325CI, I do pwn my pedal though. Im not sure how you drive. I ride with my foot on the floor, i guess that has to be it? But still......21 mpg???? Thats odd. Whats your secret?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wytstang
    If you want a cheap way to clean out the combustion chamber just fill up and take the car WOT on a empty highway or back roads with no cops for just a couple of minutes.
    I guess my cumbustion chamber must be very very clean then........... When I get pulled over im going to use that one COP:
    " son, why were you going 60 in a 25?" ME: "I was just cleaning out my cumbustion chamber officer..."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Thejoyofdriving
    I guess my cumbustion chamber must be very very clean then........... When I get pulled over im going to use that one COP:
    " son, why were you going 60 in a 25?" ME: "I was just cleaning out my cumbustion chamber officer..."
    LOL good luck and post your results .
    Quote Originally Posted by MTHall51
    My daily driver is nothing fancy. A normal 6 cylinder motor. Manual says it will run on 87. I use Lucas fuel additive usually with an ocassional BG cleaning. So, if I buy into what the Shell gas station owner says and run high Octane, not only would it be a waste of money, but may actually tend to deposit energy robbing deposits as well? Just checking. If I got that straight I will pass the word on to some friends as well.
    Ding Ding Ding we have a winner, like mentioned unless you have a high compresson motor or advace timing you don't need it and can't burn it (assuming you have a stock ingnition and not an aftermarket multi spark system [MSD,Mallory,ect,ect]). If you have been using it (premuim) for a bit you will probably go though your first tank (83 octane) quickly. Gotta give your computer a chance to readjust.

Post Thanks / Like
    Premium fuel is only better for your vehicle when it is required. Premium actually burns slower in the combustion chamber. On a normal (low compression or unaggressive timing) engine, this actually results in an incomplete burn cycle. The purpose of premium is to slow down the flame propagation and prevent preignition in high comp. or advanced timing engines to prevent detonation. That is the reason for higher octane (race fuels), to allow more compression and more timing to extract more power from the engine without damage from preignition. MM&FF magazine did a test a while back between 87 & 93 octane fuel in a stock Mustang. The 87 octane made more power on the dyno than the 93 octane. You want a quick combustion process to exert the most force possible down on the piston to make power. If the process is slow or incomplete, it will not exert as much downward force as it could, therefore resulting in less power. The reason for the premium, is the higher compression engine wants to burn the fuel too quickly, and/or the advanced timing wants to burn the fuel too quickly before the piston is at TDC (top dead center) which will cause detonation.

Hope this clears it up instead of confusing you more!

Post Thanks / Like
    Are the imported engines usually high comp...say the honda v6 vtec's? Seafoam and lucas in the same tank or seafoam first then lucas. What about BG13?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast