autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

I tip my hat to you professional detailers

I've been reading up a lot on forums and found AG to be the most helpful. I've done some "detailing" off and on for a few years, but as my need to learn more I realized my technique can use help. I got deeper into detailing thinking I'm going to be the best in my area and do everything "perfect".

Well last week I was doing a basic wash and wax on a camaro in my shop, when a customer who was there for something else asked about what I was doing. Before I knew it, I had my first "walk in off the street" detail. (So far all my detailing has been friends and local people I know during my usual business hours)
    Of course I wanted to impress the guy so I worked my butt off for 2 hours on a wash, wax, clean interior and shampoo carpets.

Anyways my point is not the detail itself but I learned a whole new appreciation for what you guys do. Working on cars back to back was exhausting to say the least, and I had to get the car done quick. It was much easier working at my own pace when working on cars of people who I knew and wouldn't mind if I held onto the car longer.

So for those who go the extra mile to properly detail cars as a business, I salute you. When done correctly this can be really hard work. Thanks for all the helpful info here.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I tip my hat to you professional detailers

Quote Originally Posted by Busy mind View Post
    I've been reading up a lot on forums and found AG to be the most helpful. I've done some "detailing" off and on for a few years, but as my need to learn more I realized my technique can use help. I got deeper into detailing thinking I'm going to be the best in my area and do everything "perfect".

Well last week I was doing a basic wash and wax on a camaro in my shop, when a customer who was there for something else asked about what I was doing. Before I knew it, I had my first "walk in off the street" detail. (So far all my detailing has been friends and local people I know during my usual business hours)
    Of course I wanted to impress the guy so I worked my butt off for 2 hours on a wash, wax, clean interior and shampoo carpets.

Anyways my point is not the detail itself but I learned a whole new appreciation for what you guys do. Working on cars back to back was exhausting to say the least, and I had to get the car done quick. It was much easier working at my own pace when working on cars of people who I knew and wouldn't mind if I held onto the car longer.

So for those who go the extra mile to properly detail cars as a business, I salute you. When done correctly this can be really hard work. Thanks for all the helpful info here.
    yep. it's incredibly back breaking work, even when you aren't an all out "corrective" detailer. there are definitely pros out there who are grinding hard to do the best they can every single car and that's crazy to even imagine. physically it's terribly taxing. mentally the various stresses have to be so difficult to manage. most people if you told them this they'd laugh, but they have no idea. doing something to an exceptionally high level EVERY SINGLE TIME is out of control. it's so awesome to follow those who DO put out that sort of work and marvel at their ability to manage it all.

one unfortunate thing i've learned is that what a detailer says he's doing online via pics and such isn't necessarily always as it seems. also, there aren't any industry standard titles or checks put in place to make sure that a pro detailer is a stand up guy (honest/good person) or has any business savvy whatsoever, so for anyone to still shine despite that is really saying something. i commend those guys completely. quality of individual can be just as important as the work being put out.

i had a problem with ONE pro detailer who screwed me and it turned into a thing where behind the scenes "pros" who don't even know me or the truths of the situation were trashing me personally within the depths of the internet. they'd obv never say anything like that to my face but that's why i made the point about quality of individual being just as important as the work they purport to perform.

regarding your point of the time crunch, i think most people would agree that if you need to cut corners to get the car out faster, you are bridging the gap between being a volume shop and there is a definite difference between a volume shop and a true corrective detail outfit. you just have to be upfront with the customer and yourself about what they want and what you want in terms of a final product. it's equally important in my eyes for the customer to be happy and for you to be happy with what's out on the street with your name on it.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

As one of my good customers always says: "Everything looks easy when somebody else is doing it."

Post Thanks / Like

Ley me know how you feel when you are 60 and doing it like me. The thing that keeps you going is the end result.
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    yep. it's incredibly back breaking work, even when you aren't an all out "corrective" detailer. there are definitely pros out there who are grinding hard to do the best they can every single car and that's crazy to even imagine. physically it's terribly taxing. mentally the various stresses have to be so difficult to manage. most people if you told them this they'd laugh, but they have no idea. doing something to an exceptionally high level EVERY SINGLE TIME is out of control. it's so awesome to follow those who DO put out that sort of work and marvel at their ability to manage it all.

one unfortunate thing i've learned is that what a detailer says he's doing online via pics and such isn't necessarily always as it seems. also, there aren't any industry standard titles or checks put in place to make sure that a pro detailer is a stand up guy (honest/good person) or has any business savvy whatsoever, so for anyone to still shine despite that is really saying something. i commend those guys completely. quality of individual can be just as important as the work being put out.

i had a problem with ONE pro detailer who screwed me and it turned into a thing where behind the scenes "pros" who don't even know me or the truths of the situation were trashing me personally within the depths of the internet. they'd obv never say anything like that to my face but that's why i made the point about quality of individual being just as important as the work they purport to perform.

regarding your point of the time crunch, i think most people would agree that if you need to cut corners to get the car out faster, you are bridging the gap between being a volume shop and there is a definite difference between a volume shop and a true corrective detail outfit. you just have to be upfront with the customer and yourself about what they want and what you want in terms of a final product. it's equally important in my eyes for the customer to be happy and for you to be happy with what's out on the street with your name on it.
    Yeah I've had some people give me advice on how to be more efficient but the process they use has absolutely no thought for the integrity of the car. Anybody can use the roughest compound or toughest degreaser on everything to get it done in seconds. I came back to this because I wanted to add a small service to my shop and I wanted to do it the right way. Hopefully the more experience I get, the faster I can do the jobs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lupemartin View Post
    nice info..

Anyone want to tell the spammer his pic isn't working? Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Waxoff, I'm half your age but I have enough arthritis and permanent physical damage that I could pass for an AARP member from looking at my X-Rays. Haha. Law abiding Mopeds and speeding SUV'S (who are on their cell phone) don't mix well.
    I do enjoy the end result. There's something I love about taking a dirty vehicle and restoring it to its glory days or even better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WAXOFF View Post
    Ley me know how you feel when you are 60 and doing it like me. The thing that keeps you going is the end result.

Wax off - I recently got diagnosed with heart disease at 46 due to my lifestyle and I have the heart of a 60yo but the meds make me tired so trust me when I say get your heart checked and loose weight!