autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garage Heater

Post Thanks / Like

Garage Heater

I don't detail in the winter and basically just wash my car in the garage. When I do, or even towards the end of my season (usually late November or early December) I sometimes need a heater in the garage. I have had an electric unit which 1) isn't very strong and 2) I hate using as I usually have water on the floor.

So I found a propane powered one on Kijiji and bought it for $80 including a used propane tank that feels pretty full. It's a 40,000 BTU unit and it really kicks out the heat. I'll probably still open the garage door a crack as anything that is burning has the potential to diminish the oxygen level but I don't think that's too big of a concern.

Here it is:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Garage Heater

That propane tank valve looks pretty sketchy, you might want to get it replaced or get a new tank. You wouldn't want it leaking in the garage.
    Heck down here in Tampa today it was 91! ( so like 100+ in the garage) I need an ac unit in my garage, I rarely detail in the summer because it's so hot, but man it's October, we need a break!
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    That propane tank valve looks pretty sketchy, you might want to get it replaced or get a new tank. You wouldn't want it leaking in the garage.
    Heck down here in Tampa today it was 91! ( so like 100+ in the garage) I need an ac unit in my garage, I rarely detail in the summer because it's so hot, but man it's October, we need a break!
    My portable a/c unit in the garage gets more use than this heater will, that's for sure. I've got a 14,000 BTU a/c unit that I've had since 2007. Would NOT be without it!!

And thanks for your concern about the valve.

Post Thanks / Like

That will definitely keep you warm when you need it

Post Thanks / Like

The tank valve is the old style. I suggest trading for a new tank/valve when empty. The tanks do have a certification date. If you are concerned of leakage, place a bucket over the top of the tank and leave for a few days. If the tank valve is leaking, the propane odor will be easier to smell when the bucket is removed.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are concern about the valve you could try spraying soap and water on it and look for bubbles I know it work for house gas line not sure about propane.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO you guys are getting a little too exercised about the valve. The change that was made to propane tanks was to prevent overfilling, which could cause rupture of the tank under a narrow set of circumstances, it didn't have anything to do with the valve per se.

We all used propane tanks for decades without overfill devices and we're all still here to tell about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
    The tank valve is the old style. I suggest trading for a new tank/valve when empty. The tanks do have a certification date. If you are concerned of leakage, place a bucket over the top of the tank and leave for a few days. If the tank valve is leaking, the propane odor will be easier to smell when the bucket is removed.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I'm missing something here, but is it a good idea to use a propane heater in an enclosed garage, especially if you only plan to "probably open the garage door a crack"?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sparkism13 View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but is it a good idea to use a propane heater in an enclosed garage, especially if you only plan to "probably open the garage door a crack"?
    Agree, that style heater needs lots of ventilation. I have a smaller propane unit and after an hour or so in the garage you get lightheaded.

Might be ok to warm up the garage before doing in, then open the door completely to let fresh air in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast