autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Trying to explain detailing to a newbie. Help. Long read

Gidday All,

I Have worked at a toyota dealership for 1.5 years. When at toyota i do everything as they want it done with the time given. When i'm at home i do everything like an autogeek would do. Perfection makes the customers happy. I have only been doing side detailing (exterior only) since spring but have learned alot as i have worked with a professional detailer on a few side jobs and he showed me tips/tricks ect. i do have a good knowledge of procedures/paints/defect removal/going the extra mile for the customer to make em happy. Now here is the story:

Guy at work, never detailed in his life till he came to toyota. He was a cleaner previously. He noticed how good of a job i can do on the paint and he wanted to get into it. Well i have no problem with that. That is until he started getting a bit over the top for someone who has never touched a rotary or DA in his life. He asked what he should purchase. I gave him an exact list, he completly ignored that list and went and bought diff stuff. Luckily he didn't get cheaper stuff so he was fine there. He went with a porter DA kit with 3 orange/white/blue pads. Menzerna fg400/sf4000 & this kit

MEGA Towel & Applicator Kit

Now He asks me every day about stuff n whatnot. I have no issues with his motivation, but it's where he's starting out. He wants to start on Garage queens and classic cars that his buddies dad owns. a viper. A corvette stingray. a newer corvette and some cars varying in the 70's era. Another guy wants his genisis done and so on so forth. I told him to do his vehicle first and take his time to learn. don't be so fast to jump in as it's delicate work. He doesn't have a garage to work in nor a canopy. When i asked him what last step protection he would use. He thought SF4000 was last step. I also suggested he do a few DD's (wether they are his or a customers) first to get the hang of it and learn what kind of stuff you will encounter while detailing (such as road tar/brake dust ect) He still has a long way to come but he doesn't understand that. He just wants to jump right in. He is also overwhelmed by all the products and i've tried to explain i gave him a strict list as to what will work for his jobs but he won't stick to it

Is there anyway i can nicely tell him to slow down without making a bad impression.

I also got a good kick when he said he was gunna charge 125 for a full compound.lol.

I did also offer my help to show him on his car. i just don't want him to ruin someone's show car. Especially if it's an original paint on a classic car

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe direct him here to read the forum. But seems like he's going to do it his own way and learn from mistakes no matter what you tell him.

With no experience he is going to learn very fast that what he promises may not be the results he can get on his first try. Trial an error is a great way to learn but probably not on clients vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like

Trying to explain detailing to a newbie. Help. Long read

I'd just stay out of his business & let him do what he wants. If he messes up someone's car - tell them YOU can fix it for mega $$$.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trying to explain detailing to a newbie. Help. Long read

Indeed, leave him be. When he asks for help, provide it. Otherwise, encourage him to learn and read before he purchases.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I have been encouraging him non stop and trying to answer his questions the best way possible. But as said, i will assist him with his car so he can learn the basics and let him go from there.

Post Thanks / Like

90% of the population are just stubborn an dive head first into things, thinking if he can do it I can. He will learn one way or another either for having to pay for someone else's paint job or figuring out that compound for $125 with a PC to get results is going to take him 8-10 hours..
    It's all in the details

Post Thanks / Like

jeeze i have the harbor freight DA and havent even touched the wifes car yet, just mine! i need to spend way more time practicing before i would touch another persons car!

Post Thanks / Like

I think everybody's responses are spot on, however I would like to provide a different angle to look at this situation.
    I believe if he's not picking up a rotary or sandpaper, he will be fine. It seems 95% of the products we use are idiot proof. IMO I see that people are more timid about performing certain detailing tasks than they need to be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dabirdz View Post
    jeeze i have the harbor freight DA and havent even touched the wifes car yet, just mine! i need to spend way more time practicing before i would touch another persons car!
    Here's a perfect example; the above quote implies that the da will, or can cause more damage than good if not used correctly. Taking a da to paint with some compound or polish can only do good (except, maybe in rare cases( I can't think of any right now)).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    I think everybody's responses are spot on, however I would like to provide a different angle to look at this situation.
    I believe if he's not picking up a rotary or sandpaper, he will be fine. It seems 95% of the products we use are idiot proof. IMO I see that people are more timid about performing certain detailing tasks than they need to be.
    The thing is he won't hurt anything, but he's going to promise results and not deliver to a high end client. It's not a terrible thing I guess but when people undercut pricing this much and then don't satisfy the client, it sort of taints the image of what we do to that person making it harder for me to gain their trust with their vehicle. It's the situation I'm in now with a client. I got a taste of work that was hard to get, but after getting in his garage and doing a car he's opened up more to me and more willing to have me personally look at his car collection and quote and book work. He was burned 4 times on separate occasions by cheap mobile detailers promising results they couldnt produce.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast