autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Project cammed GTO is alive! pics/video

Started working on it Tuesday after work. I got the tear down completed, which consisted of removing the following: Intake tube, Radiator, electric fans, crank pulley, water pump, timing cover, coil packs, valve covers, rocker arms, pushrods, spark plugs and wires.

Here is a untuned video of it running.

BTR Stg 3 NA cam. Untuned - YouTube

Below are a few pics of me changing out the valve springs. I used a fitting screwed into the spark plug hole with a hose attached to my air compressor to keep the valves from falling while changing out the springs/seals/retainers.

Below is the proform dual spring compressor for LS series engines. Worked like a charm.

The springs were being replaced with dual coil titanium valve springs and titanium retainers from Brian Tooley Racing. Also replaced the valve seals while I was there.

I also installed a new C5R timing chain from Katech and a new oil pump along with a 160 deg thermostat. I didn't get and pics of the cam swap but here is the engine all back together. The car is untuned right now and will be hitting the dyno and tuner this saturday for dialing in and horsepower results. Before #s 385rwhp 387rwtq. Shoot for 425-430rwhp.

IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Mike Phillips

Re: Project cammed GTO is alive! pics/video

Very cool and impressive....

Who did the valve adjustment?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Very cool and impressive....

Who did the valve adjustment?

Thank you.

No valve adjustment needed on these motors. Just bolt the factory rockers on and tq to 22ft lbs and call it a day. As long as your pushrod length is correct then you will have the right amount of preload on the lifters. Usually around .050-.070 preload. Typically you get a little more valvetrain noise on these engines with aftermarket springs pushrods and a cam. Even the headers make them sound like a sewing machine sometimes. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Hope you record the dyno pulls/tuning, I'm subscribed!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Hope you record the dyno pulls/tuning, I'm subscribed!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    Absolutely I will be videoing the dyno pulls. Maybe get a go pro vid in car afterwards of some fun time!

Post Thanks / Like

Music to my ears! Sounds great!!!! Can't wait to see your #'s! Keep us posted...
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Smokinss View Post

No valve adjustment needed on these motors. Just bolt the factory rockers on and tq to 22ft lbs and call it a day.
    That's what I thought but still had to ask the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokinss View Post

As long as your pushrod length is correct then you will have the right amount of preload on the lifters.

And everything hinges upon having the right pushrod length.

I bought the current 454 in my Jimmy from a friend of a friend after a local shop had rebuilt the motor. Apparently the shop isn't up to speed with modern non-adjustable valve train technology.

Here's my experience.... that's my finger pointing to a broken rocker arm on my 454

I fixed the problems but when this motor goes in for rebuilding I'm going to put an aftermarket adjustable valve train on it.

There's a conversion kit by Comp Cams to install a 3/8" stud with a 7/16" diameter stud on top for "Normal" high performance parts. So I'm going to order the bolt to stud conversion kit and a set of Pro Magnum Roller Rocker Arms and this should solve all the rocker arm problems and fix the Chevrolet Engineer's mistake. While this engine is in a Pavement Pounder, you would never want to use a head like this in any kind of performance situation, including High School Drags. So learn from my experience, spend the money up front for a quality engine with quality heads. My next engine will be built by Tim Briggs. Whatever the cost, it's a money saver, not a money pit.

Pro Magnum Roller Rocker Arms

Robots
    I was told the reason these modern V8's have a non-adjustable valve train is because with this type of valve train the assembly can be automated, as in a human being is no longer needed, just a robot of sorts as all the robot has to do is tighten down the rocker arm nut.

I'll never buy another modern V8 I'll stick with the tried and true adjustable design.

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't agree more. Fortunately the stock rockers on these ls motors can take quite the beating. Comp makes a nice little roller trunion upgrade to replace the needle bearings inside the factory rocker on these engines.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-13702-kit

My buddy Terry actually has a set of the upgraded factory ones that he no longer needs due to upgrading his LS to a shaft mount rocker setup from Yella Terra. He said he will let me have them since there just sitting around.