autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Used car shopping, not sure which would be better

So I am looking to buy a different car, used. I have owned nothing but GM vehicles ever since I have started driving 14 years ago, and kind of had enough of them and want to venture out to something different. I have found two cars I like with similar miles and price, $27K and 20K miles.

The first one is a 2013 Nissan Maxima SV Sport Package. This was a lease vehicle. I looked it over with a fine tooth comb, since I am very anal about my cars (like everyone else here I'm sure). The car did have 5 or so good sized rock chips on the front bumper, and a coupe on the hood. Plus a few scratches. I know I could touch them up and polish the car out. For a 20K mile car it kind of concerns me about it chipping up more as time goes on. The car is basically loaded except for NAV, and it does have an extended 7 year 100K mile warranty. It has the Bose sound system which is nice. It looks exactly like this one.

The second is a 2012 Acura TL Advance package. This was a personal owner car, and the paint was flawless from scratches and chips. I'll admit, the Maxima looks way better IMO than the TL, much sportier looking. The TL does have NAV on it though, not a huge deal but nice. It's being sold through a Ford dealer, but they have a lifetime powertrain warranty on it. No Bose stero though, which is dissapointing. Here's the TL, same color and wheels.

I know Honda and Acura have a reputation for being reliable, but I have no idea on Nissan. Are Maximas reliable when compared to the Acura TLs? Which vehicles have better paint quality from what you all have seen when detailing?

If it was based upon looks alone, I'd buy the Maxima in a heartbeat. But I am looking for a car that has good quality and paint, plus something that will hold it's value in a few years when I get something else. I'm new to Acuras and Nissan, so I am open to opinions on what you all think is better hoping that it'll make the decision process easier for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Used car shopping, not sure which would be better

i would personally go with the TL between the two...

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't say much for the Nissan but I know the Acura tl model in the past has held its value pretty well. I haven't followed up on the newer styles myself.

Post Thanks / Like

my wife had a Nissan Altima back in 2012 and I really liked that car a lot. it was also her favorite

Post Thanks / Like
    I would get the Nissan all day long. First, it's my opinion Nissan paint is significantly better than Honda/Acura. Their are numerous Honda's where the paint has crow footed (cracked) after only being a few years old. Others have had problems with it marring, being exquisitely soft, and stupidly thin.

Nissan's are very reliable. The Maxima has been around for like a zillion years and is a very nice car. You mentioned he Maxima looks better - I agree there. Acura's styling has never quite hit the bullseye IMHO - and in the last few years it's been almost bizarre. The Maxima is also a newer car.

Good for you for dumping GM.

Post Thanks / Like

As I always do,go with the one that looks better to you,I have only driven Ford & Dodges over the last 25 years. More so a Dodge man now,Ford is just way too much $ for me now.

Post Thanks / Like

My moms had her TL since 2003 and it's been extremely reliable. She still has the original brakes at 68k miles. However, I like the look of the Maxima better and they're a really reliable and nice car as well. I'd probably get the vehicle that drives the best. Is there any way to borrow it for a day?

Post Thanks / Like

Between the two, I would flip a coin. Seriously. Both of those cars are worlds better than any of the previous GM cars that I own/have owned. I too owned nothing but GM prior to my venturing outside the box, never to return. Here is my list.

1973 Oldsmobile 442 (still own)
    1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham (still own)
    1984 Buick Regal
    1985 Buick Regal
    1994 Pontiac Grand Am
    2001 Chevrolet Impala LS
    2006 Chevrolet Impala LTZ
    2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS
    2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS
    2007 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS (still own)

Presently I have an Acura TSX. I have 108K on her now and it has been an amazing car. I received a TL as a loaner a few times and I was quite impressed. With the new TLX to be released soon, dealers are negotiating on the TL. My brother in law had a Maxima for the last three years and loved it. Just had a kid and replaced it with a Pathfinder.

Either way you choose, it'll be a good call. Both are very reliable.

I know GM has a lot of work to do before I purchase anything from them again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    . Acura's styling has never quite hit the bullseye IMHO - and in the last few years it's been almost bizarre.
    I thought they were quite nice 10 years ago...then they slowly drifted into the looney bin.

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Good for you for dumping GM.
    Hey!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would go with the TL. I actually plan on purchasing one in the next few months. I think they a beautiful cars, inside and out!

My Flickr Page

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast