autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Finding a good detailer

I am fortunate to have become friends with a client who does an automotive radio show. I call in every week to give tips on care for your car.
    I want to offer advise on finding a good detailer. So,give me some of your idea's please.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Subscribed

Also this sounds interesting. Do you have any clips that we could listen to?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finding a good detailer

Daveserio.com or youautoknow.com should do it

Post Thanks / Like

What about a portfolio of past work?

Customer involvement like doing things like the baggie test and explaining what defects we see and explaining how they come about on the paint.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Let them know cheaper is not always better. Have them look at a detailers review if they have any on yelp or Angie's list.
    "The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michelangelo
    "Like" us Facebook.com/AlchemyAutoDetail

Post Thanks / Like

Some advise for finding a good detailer:
    Do your research, often times the big wash-o-matic "hand wash" car wash place is not your best bet. While they may get your car clean, they mostly offer a production detail service. The want to get it done quicker so they can move on to the next car and may skip a step or not be as thorough as someone who's reputation relies on the customer being completely happy.

Use social media, ask your friends and family around the area if they have had any work done by a detail shop / mobile detailer, and if so how well was the work done?

Don't be afraid to go with "the little guy". There's nothing wrong with hiring a mobile detailer, or going to a small shop to have your car done. These types of detailers will typically offer a better quality service, and a better finished product (after all, there name relies on it).

Remind the listeners that detailing done right is hard work, can often require specialty chemicals / cleaners (i.e. Sonax full effect wheel cleaner, Iron-X, etc...) However a good detailer is not always the cheapest option

Ask for pictures! Almost all detailer's will take before and after / 50/50 photo's of jobs they've done, this constantly expands their library of work. For me personally, I love taking before and after photo's and sharing with the clients. I always ask for their permission to upload the before & after photo's to my business's Facebook page.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Ask what kind of cleaners they use, how do they clean things? (two bucket method, grit guards, do they use harsh cleaners such as acid, etc...)
    There's certainly a right way and a wrong way for everything.

Don't be afraid to ask about how long they have been doing detailing, do they have any official training. If you have a high value / rare car you should certainly ask what type of insurance they carry. Mistakes happen, and while a good detailer will take every precaution not to damage your vehicle accidents do happen.

Ask for references!
    When I'm done with working on a car and the customer is satisfied, I always ask them if they would mind being a reference. While they may never get a call, I have their information set aside in case someone asks. Some clients decline and I respect their decision 100%.
    Lord knows most of my work comes to me by referrals from other customers that I have done.

Post Thanks / Like

Many times a good detailer will belong to a trade organization like the IDA.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Great tips!