autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Building a new garage!

So a couple of months ago I moved with my dad to a different house (parents are separated, and I am not financially secure, blah blah blah). Anyway, the house we moved to was built in 1967, and only has a single car attached garage. So, my dad decided he wanted to build a garage.

It will be 24' by 24', with 2 windows (1 on the right, 1 on the left with a side entry door), overhead storage, adequate lighting, a water spigot (current spigot is basically on the other end of the house), 16' premium garage door, 8' ceiling, fully insulated, vinyl siding, shingled roof, and a heating/cooling unit that can be turned on and off as needed. The old blacktop driveway is also going to be torn up and replaced with concrete. The concrete in the garage and the driveway will be done at the same time.

I will keep this thread updated with pictures as I take them. The footings and beginnings of the walls have already gone up. With working around the holidays, the company he has a contract with should have it completed before the end of January. It can't be done soon enough, because I am stuck parking outside for now!

The current single car garage

Obligatory pic of my detailing collection

from the side (holes for the windows have not been cut out yet)

old driveway that is going to be busted up, widened, and replaced with concrete
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Building a new garage!

Awesome

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with a 10 ft ceiling and 2x6 on 24 in centers. Ended up using just about the same amount of wood the garage stays warm or cool for hours with the unit off and the extra couple of feet has come in handy for trucks and high top vans.

Post Thanks / Like

This is going to be cool.
    I'll watch it come up.

Keep us posted

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerman View Post
    I went with a 10 ft ceiling and 2x6 on 24 in centers. Ended up using just about the same amount of wood the garage stays warm or cool for hours with the unit off and the extra couple of feet has come in handy for trucks and high top vans.
    That's the way I went. It gets quite cold here as well so I put hot water tubing in the concrete as well so it warms from the bottom up. Hot and cold water along with a long grid drain which is a whole story in itself. Looks like you're definitely getting an upgrade from the old single car garage. You'll love the additional room. Have you thought about your lighting and how to get all the different panels lit up? or are you going to use a tripod for lighting the side and lower panels?

Post Thanks / Like

It's not too late to think about putting in a drain in the middle of that floor, or a curtain drain in front of the entire garage door with the inside floor having plenty of slope to the outside drain.

Since you're as far along as you are do a google search for a product like AdvanEdge made by Advanced Drainage Systems, Inc. This particular plasic pipe comes in at least a couple widths, but is only about an inch tall. It can be trenched in to lay vertical, or laid flat at just around one inchish tall by 12 or 18 inches wide by however long you might need it. Fittings are made for standard ADS pipe, but will mate round to flat pipe. It's an awesome tile product made by the world's largest plastic pipe maker...made right here in the good ol' US of A.

Whether you need a drain or not, now is the time to consider it. Also, you might be better served to go ahead a put a drain in because once the concrete is in it's too late without having to cut the floor. I prefer thinking and working forward.

More often than not, even if you think you don't need it/won't use it you'll probably be thankful later that you put a drain in. If for nothing else, cleaning the floor.

This is something you can do yourself, so while you're at it go ahead and put some tile around the footing of that building as well and you can tie your downspouts into it as well as keep any excess water away from the foundation.
    Bill

Super Member DetailedByPrecision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome garage build. My garage is 24Lx19W. I wish my garage was 5ft wider.

Click on image to view work

Post Thanks / Like

Exciting!! I'm building a new garage soon as well...this link is some feedback provided form other forum members, some great ideas here. My personal favorite is the garage door openers, have never seen them before. This sounds like it's your dads garage for your use, but looks like there is room for an addition someday, possibly a back room for storage/supplys (have that in my current garage and love it) Wouldn't hurt to consider prepping it with electrical/water capability for future expansions. A common plumbing prep these days is leaving stubs for connecting a water softener system. If you do that in the line prior to the water spigot you will have nice soft water for washing. Get a nice whole house system from Home Depot or similar, you'll be glad you did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hazcat View Post
    That's the way I went. It gets quite cold here as well so I put hot water tubing in the concrete as well so it warms from the bottom up. Hot and cold water along with a long grid drain which is a whole story in itself. Looks like you're definitely getting an upgrade from the old single car garage. You'll love the additional room. Have you thought about your lighting and how to get all the different panels lit up? or are you going to use a tripod for lighting the side and lower panels?
    I'll probably use a tripod. I saw one I liked at Lowe's.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    It's not too late to think about putting in a drain in the middle of that floor, or a curtain drain in front of the entire garage door with the inside floor having plenty of slope to the outside drain.

Since you're as far along as you are do a google search for a product like AdvanEdge made by Advanced Drainage Systems, Inc. This particular plasic pipe comes in at least a couple widths, but is only about an inch tall. It can be trenched in to lay vertical, or laid flat at just around one inchish tall by 12 or 18 inches wide by however long you might need it. Fittings are made for standard ADS pipe, but will mate round to flat pipe. It's an awesome tile product made by the world's largest plastic pipe maker...made right here in the good ol' US of A.

Whether you need a drain or not, now is the time to consider it. Also, you might be better served to go ahead a put a drain in because once the concrete is in it's too late without having to cut the floor. I prefer thinking and working forward.

More often than not, even if you think you don't need it/won't use it you'll probably be thankful later that you put a drain in. If for nothing else, cleaning the floor.

This is something you can do yourself, so while you're at it go ahead and put some tile around the footing of that building as well and you can tie your downspouts into it as well as keep any excess water away from the foundation.
    He doesn't want to do a drain. Also, I can't really do a hose wash in this garage anyway - the walls are going to be made of OSB board. The part of your quote I put in blue is being done though.
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Since you are starting from scratch there is so much potential on what you can do. Good Luck and keep us updated

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast