autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k4df4l View Post
    All good points. Plus you have to consider the start-up wear from all those monthly 'maintenance' starts.
    As long as the car is brought up to operating temps those monthly "maintence starts" are no problem at all IMO but yearly oil changes are still key!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: would you be reluctant to buy a 2001 car with less than 1,000 miles?

Quote Originally Posted by ekennett View Post
    I would be very leery of that. First off, asking price is wayyyyy too much, but when cars sit around not being used problems start to form. Leaky valve seals, degenerated bushings, cracked hydraulic lines, frozen brakes, flat spotted tires, etc... Even though it's been in a climate controlled environment these parts still wear down over time with oxygen exposure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I couldn't agree more, once a year is key and how about the coolant, that errodes as well. I'm sure the gearbox and diff fluids would be ok but also the brake fluid needs to be changed and make sure the calipers aren't frozen up. I'm sure the tires are shot, they guy needs to come down a little bit but one has to wonder, why not sell the car along much earlier rather than let it sit and go to waste?
    Bazinga!!!!

The calipers not being worked are a HUGE deal. Brake fluid sucks in moisture, especially deep south moisture.

I'd think a thorough going through of the brake system, flush, probably lines, for SURE seals is in order. Tires are a no brainer. Basically all the fluids and all the rubber components, IE hoses, belts etc.

But the biggie would be the timing belt. I don't know that engine, but assuming it's a belt, not a chain. In that instance when all the OTHER belts are being changed you'd want to change the timing belts.

Do keep in mind that odometers can be reprogrammed. Not saying that's what has happened, but by plugging into the OBD2 port it's easy to put whatever mileage you want into a digital odometer.

After saying all that, honestly... if you're interested (and he's flexible on the price) a 5 hour trip is nothing in the grand scheme of things. I'd take off and go look at it were it a car I wanted to even consider. But you'd need to make a line item list of anything and everything that you'd consider servicing, including the battery and tires. Take that list with you, preferably printed out from a local shop that services Honda's. Then once there make it clear that your cost's involved include that list and work from there.

ORRRRRRR if you just want to park it and not drive it, then haul it home on a rollback (which will cost from $500 to $750 if it's 250 miles away) and park it. OTOH, I'd have it hauled home on a rollback anyhow. Sitting this long opens doors to all sorts of problems that can arise. Putting new tires on, changing the oil and driving it home can likely be an invitation to standing on the roadside waiting on a tow truck AND BEING AT HIS MERCY! Scheduling the tow during the off hours will end up costing as little as half as much (and get you the people you want, in the truck you want) rather than taking whatever guy shows up and decides to stick it to you. So yeah, add the towing bill to the price as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Would I be reluctant to buy this vehicle? Yes!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you tremendously everyone for the input as it's all extremely helpful.

A lot of your replies support the reservation I had about the age and low mileage situation with this vehicle. Along with this and the high price tag I'm going to pass on it.

My next step is to find one locally to test drive as I haven't done so yet. If I like the ride I've decided to look for a 2005 model or newer. Searching the main used car sale sites I have found newer models for less money with more realistic mileage.

The good thing is that I'm in no hurry to do this so I can take my time looking around.

Thanks again everyone I really appreciate it!
    -Scott

Post Thanks / Like

I like to work on cars. So, I would buy it if I could get it for the right price and didn't need it as a daily driver.

I wouldn't if I needed to drive it every day right when I bought it!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

You just said the right words Scott. "Not in a hurry".

I wouldn't necessarily rule it out, just that you should go in with both eyes open. Can't make all things new again, especially all the interior parts and pieces, and most importantly the paint and trim!

It is important though that the seller know it isn't a collector car, it's just a low mileage car. But with it being that low there are very valid concerns. Perhaps as you continue to take your time, and he ends up holding on to it, down the road there may be a meeting of the minds. Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by twitch77 View Post
    Thank you tremendously everyone for the input as it's all extremely helpful.

A lot of your replies support the reservation I had about the age and low mileage situation with this vehicle. Along with this and the high price tag I'm going to pass on it.

My next step is to find one locally to test drive as I haven't done so yet. If I like the ride I've decided to look for a 2005 model or newer. Searching the main used car sale sites I have found newer models for less money with more realistic mileage.

The good thing is that I'm in no hurry to do this so I can take my time looking around.

Thanks again everyone I really appreciate it!
    Something you will get here on AG alot of good opinions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    Do keep in mind that odometers can be reprogrammed. Not saying that's what has happened, but by plugging into the OBD2 port it's easy to put whatever mileage you want into a digital odometer.
    I personally don't think this is a concern. I have ever heard of this happening and if was that easy you would think people would be doing it all of the time. If I understand it correctly, the odometer is actually designed to prevent this. Even when the instrument cluster is changed out the mileage has to be programmed in when ordering a new one (part of consumer laws). The only way I'm aware of to avoid this is to get a used part from a salvage yard. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen, I guess. A good indicator if this is a concern...driver's seat wear.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Legacykid View Post
    ask for service records. regardless of use (miles) you still would need to have services done, at the very least oil. Friend of mine bought an older 300zx low miles and all. guy who owned it just never used it. Problem was it sat there for years and years. Once he got it the tires, belts, and AC unit went. He fixes car so no biggy to him.

Anyway you can go down and check it out?
    If the car has less than a 1000 miles on it, how many times do you think the oïl would have been changed exactly? I would say never.

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking at the blackbook for that car and it's listed at 9500$ for good condition by seller and 13000$ retail. Depending how much they are asking for it you can decide if it's Worth it. Just think there might be some stuff to do on the car because it has been sitting for all these years. I would put aside 2000$ in potential repairs and maintenance for it. So anything Under 11,000$ would be fair price and anything Under 7500$ would be a good deal.

But that's just me.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast