autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Car Chemicals Dangerous?

Do you guys think it is dangerous to your health or affects your health negatively in any fashion, if you live in a room that has an assortment of car chemicals?

For example:

Pinnacle Onyx Tire Gel
    Wolfgang Sealant 3.0
    Collinite 845
    Wolfgang Fuzion
    Iron X
    Tar X
    Duragloss 501
    Meg105
    Meg205
    etc etc...
    (like total of over 150 different car care products in your room)
    do you think these products collectively release any fumes or any dangerous vapors that affect health?

Post Thanks / Like
    M105 does for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Car Chemicals Dangerous?

Quote Originally Posted by ArkayoDeetayo View Post
    Do you guys think it is dangerous to your health or affects your health negatively in any fashion, if you live in a room that has an assortment of car chemicals?

For example:

Pinnacle Onyx Tire Gel
    Wolfgang Sealant 3.0
    Collinite 845
    Wolfgang Fuzion
    Iron X
    Tar X
    Duragloss 501
    Meg105
    Meg205
    etc etc...
    do you think these products collectively release any fumes or any dangerous vapors that affect health?
    Not if it's sealed.

Post Thanks / Like

As a rule of thumb, car care chemicals are dangerous. That being said, there are many that are perfectly harmless and many that are safe when certain PPE is worn and adhered to.

Do I think that you would be at risk from inhalation from a closed polish, no, however there could be a risk. What I would do is consult the MSDS report to see exactly what chemicals are in your sprays, polishes, etc. After you see what is in it, then cross-reference those chemicals and compounds to see if they have inhalation risk associated with it. You can also see if they have special storage needs.

It shouldn't be too hard; I usually use Google to start searching the chemical. The EPA, private health companies, and even Wikipedia can be good resources. It shouldn't take too long, either. I usually do a cursory search before I buy anything new. You never know what is in some things - and it can really surprise you.

Good luck and happy detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Many of the Meguiar's product I own have level 3 health hazard warning on the label, so yes they are bad.

If nothing is listed then you will have to do some research.

Post Thanks / Like
    Think about it, if the chemicals were dangerous when they were sealed, everyone who works in the AG warehouse would be dead or growing a second head.

Closed bottles are safe. Life is all relative risk. Everything could be considered dangerous.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ArkayoDeetayo View Post

What you have made for yourself is a chemical laboratory!!

Before I should seriously begin to discuss a plan for:
    Health & Safety, storage, secondary containment, spill management,
    emergency evacuation, among many other items...

Would you consider providing pictures of this room and the means of the
    'storage facilities' where you and these containers of chemicals cohabitate?

Thanks.

BTW:
    Do you have renters, or home owners insurance?
    Does your landlord, and/or neighbors know that you store chemicals at your abode?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Well, we have our resident chemical expert on the case so I will try and approach this from a different perspective. Here are a few things I would consider in evaluating your question.

1) The cubic feet of the room
    2) Does the room have a fresh air intake or just recirculated air (air conditioning)
    3) The fumes emanating from storage containers and other materials in the room (foams, carpets, linens, etc...)
    4) Fumes and other gases emanating from the residual products drying on the containers or in the crevices of the containers.
    5) Your current and prior health issues (allergies) and sensitivity to chemical exposure (current or cumulative)
    6) Pets, varmins and pets (for their dander, fecal matter etc...
    7) etc....

From a health hazard standpoint, your body requires an "optimal" chemical balance to work properly and anything which comes to upset it will make it "react" to purge or eliminate the exposure. Those chemicals can and will enter your body through several means

1) Airways: As you breath in the environmental contents, the chemicals may enter your bloodstream through the olfactory patch or mucosa of the naso-pharynx, and then proceeds to your lungs and terminates in the alveoli where once again it can (and will enter into your blood stream.
    2) Integumentary system (aka your skin). I think I read Mike posting something like "If it's on your skin it's in you". You do handle the bottles and therefore are in contact with spilled chemicals and by itself may not be a problem but may be part of a bigger "cumulative" effect when combined with other exposure sources
    3) Gastro-intestinal. Your exposure via your GI system is not only limited to having spilled chemicals on your hands which comes to cross contaminate the food/fluid you eat or drink, but the fumes and other volatile chemicals do end up depositing (or comes in contact with) items you may ingest. Again by itself may not be a big problem but you cannot forget the cumulative effect
    4) Others This may include the mucosal lining of your eyes or mouth, the ear canal (or other equally sensitive areas) as your are itching yourself with contaminated hands

Your body will use several reactions to remove your from the environmental impacts

1) Hypersensitivity or hyperreaction of the cutaneous receptors ie. burning, freezing sensation, tingling, pricking, itching....
    2) Cutaneous reaction Most often seen in the form of rash or erythema, pustule, blistering, weeping cutaneous wounds etc...
    3) Others...

And will also use systemic reaction to eliminate the perceived "poisonous" reagent

1) Vomiting: Regardless if the chemicals are in your bloodstream or in your GI system as soon as your body sense the pH issue, it will react violently to remove any and all sources if can.
    2) Diarrhea same as above.... Your body will use any means possible to eliminate everything it can
    3) Bleeding As a LAST RESORT, your body may send a signal to your mucusal membranes to open up the pores and you may spontaneously start bleeding (EXTREMELY rare) but the mechanism is there as a fail safe measure.
    4) Respiratory arrest The more likely event (if exposed to a volatile compound) will be to close the airways

All of these reaction have the strong possibility of sending you into shock (shutting down your organs) which will in turn prevent you from leaving the room and will eventually lead to death by way of multi-system failure. Your kidneys will shut down to prevent further chemical exposure and liver will shut down in an attempt to stop the processing or recycling of the chemicals etc.....

Grime picture, but a reality. Happy weekend y'all!!

P.S. I too would be interested in knowing if you have an insurance safety net since a lot of those chemicals may be volatile and flammable.

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pain View Post
    Well, we have our resident chemical expert on the case so I will try and approach this from a different perspective. Here are a few things I would consider in evaluating your question.

1) The cubic feet of the room
    2) Does the room have a fresh air intake or just recirculated air (air conditioning)
    3) The fumes emanating from storage containers and other materials in the room (foams, carpets, linens, etc...)
    4) Fumes and other gases emanating from the residual products drying on the containers or in the crevices of the containers.
    5) Your current and prior health issues (allergies) and sensitivity to chemical exposure (current or cumulative)
    6) Pets, varmins and pets (for their dander, fecal matter etc...
    7) etc....

From a health hazard standpoint, your body requires an "optimal" chemical balance to work properly and anything which comes to upset it will make it "react" to purge or eliminate the exposure. Those chemicals can and will enter your body through several means

1) Airways: As you breath in the environmental contents, the chemicals may enter your bloodstream through the olfactory patch or mucosa of the naso-pharynx, and then proceeds to your lungs and terminates in the alveoli where once again it can (and will enter into your blood stream.
    2) Integumentary system (aka your skin). I think I read Mike posting something like "If it's on your skin it's in you". You do handle the bottles and therefore are in contact with spilled chemicals and by itself may not be a problem but may be part of a bigger "cumulative" effect when combined with other exposure sources
    3) Gastro-intestinal. Your exposure via your GI system is not only limited to having spilled chemicals on your hands which comes to cross contaminate the food/fluid you eat or drink, but the fumes and other volatile chemicals do end up depositing (or comes in contact with) items you may ingest. Again by itself may not be a big problem but you cannot forget the cumulative effect
    4) Others This may include the mucosal lining of your eyes or mouth, the ear canal (or other equally sensitive areas) as your are itching yourself with contaminated hands

Your body will use several reactions to remove your from the environmental impacts

1) Hypersensitivity or hyperreaction of the cutaneous receptors ie. burning, freezing sensation, tingling, pricking, itching....
    2) Cutaneous reaction Most often seen in the form of rash or erythema, pustule, blistering, weeping cutaneous wounds etc...
    3) Others...

And will also use systemic reaction to eliminate the perceived "poisonous" reagent

1) Vomiting: Regardless if the chemicals are in your bloodstream or in your GI system as soon as your body sense the pH issue, it will react violently to remove any and all sources if can.
    2) Diarrhea same as above.... Your body will use any means possible to eliminate everything it can
    3) Bleeding As a LAST RESORT, your body may send a signal to your mucusal membranes to open up the pores and you may spontaneously start bleeding (EXTREMELY rare) but the mechanism is there as a fail safe measure.
    4) Respiratory arrest The more likely event (if exposed to a volatile compound) will be to close the airways

All of these reaction have the strong possibility of sending you into shock (shutting down your organs) which will in turn prevent you from leaving the room and will eventually lead to death by way of multi-system failure. Your kidneys will shut down to prevent further chemical exposure and liver will shut down in an attempt to stop the processing or recycling of the chemicals etc.....

Grime picture, but a reality. Happy weekend y'all!!

P.S. I too would be interested in knowing if you have an insurance safety net since a lot of those chemicals may be volatile and flammable.
    Informative!

As long as you don't have iron-x / similar iron out products I think you're safe in there!

Post Thanks / Like

It's all worn off now, but it said

"Our Beloved, He Passed from Exposure to Stripper Scent and Super Slick Suds"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast