autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: to go to automotive school or not

A guy i know graduated from UTI, he worked as a porter for a Mercedes dealership for 7 years, then finally got a job as a mechanic at a Mercedes dealer in Florida so had to relocate. Again, it took him 7 years.
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cherokeedawg240 View Post
    Sorry Ive not posted in a long time been busy. I need some advice. I'm addicted to cars and trucks and have been since I was little. Thought about having a career in it but backed out. And now I am regretting it.

Ive been nervous to go to automotive school for a couple of reasons. One I was told that working on cars I couldn't make much money and couldn't find a stable job.. Well Now I work at a grocery store and dont make much money at all and hate my job.

The other reason I have been scared to go back to automotive school is I worked at a Goodyear express shop for a few weeks and it was a total disaster. I was hired to change oil and tires. I had no training and because of that I was learning and messed up a tire putting it on a rim. And I had never drove a big pick up and no one guided me and and i hit the mirror off. And after that the the boss fired me and said I didnt belong near a car.

And that devastated me. Because I love cars. Ive spend hrs at a time looking at my car and planing things I could do to it to make it faster. But after the goodyear job Ive been scared to even try.

So my questions are. Can you find a stable job working on cars? Can you make decent money (and I dont mean get rich I mean like 35-45 grand a year)? Also do I let that Goodyear job keep me away? or was that just a bad experience and I just need to go to school and for get what happened there.

Ive thought about detailing and or selling and putting on accessories. And also automotive journalism. Thats where my passion is. paint detailing and accessories ect

thoughts?
    Lots of good info from experienced people here.

Sounds like no one was permanently disfigured during your brief stay at Goodyear. Better to give it a try and find out you are not suited/or dislike it than to lay on your deathbed one day and say, "I wish I woulda'/coulda'/shoulda'.

Good luck with whatever you try.

Post Thanks / Like

"Going back to school" is an excellent way to approach shedding your unwanted, current job.
    Selecting what school/which curriculum, that you're best-suited for, is the challenge.

Sounds like you're pretty good with your hands.
    Ever consider being a physical therapist/physical-therapy-assistant?

Those trained in medical-careers are in high demand right now...
    with those careers offering, seemingly, less chance of becoming a displaced worker anew.

Who knows...
    To assist a person in certain fields-of-study...
    there may even be "entitlement programs" from which to draw resources.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

you can make great money at repairing cars when it is your own company i have been doing this for over 30 years get good help and this can be win for you and help

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cherokeedawg240 View Post
    Even the grocery store I work at has those politics. I'm 27. The business plan I have is not the normal route which scares me. Ive thought about doing a combo automotive journalism business writing automotive articles and such for magazines and news papers. and with that also doing a mobile car detailing business. And Ive thought about a automotive accessory business. I hope that all doesnt sound crazy
    I don't really know your work experience, you've only listed 2 jobs. But I guess depending what part of Georgia there's not too much employment?

Well anyway, it doesn't seem like you have any concrete plans, so I would suggest going to school for something that pays decent and good employment record, maybe a tech school? A member mentioned medical, which is always a good way to stay employed.

I'm just being honest with you, because at 27, you gotta ask yourself, what have I accomplished? And what do I want to accomplish? (REALISTICALLY)

I think you should push back your personal ambitions until you have more of a foundation and then pursue them.
    Obsessed is a word that lazy people use for Dedicated.

Post Thanks / Like

After working for GM dealerships for over 20 years, I would recommend NOT working on cars. At the high point, I made a lot of money doing flat rate work. Well, those days are gone. The business is so competitive and being the newb in a shop is tough. Favoritism is just one of the things that you will have to deal with.

You never know what your paycheck will be from week to week. Lately, I have seen many of my previous co -workers get out. Their annual salary keeps dropping every year and the vehicles are getting better every year. Less maintenance, less breakdown and in this economy, most people do not fix much unless they have the money to spend or something is broken and NEEDS to be replaced.

Having been a mentor for many "kids" over the years, I would tell them to find another occupation. Working on cars makes you old before your time, bones and muscles hurt all the time, and gets harder everyday.

If you are going back to school, spend the money on a better occupation. I got my BS in Computer Science and had to start at the bottom again, but I am making my way back up and after 2 1/2 to 3 years, I am actually making more money than when I left being a technician.

Also, it has gotten to the point in my life where I truly hate doing any heavy mechanical work on our vehicles. I will do the little things (i.e. oil change, tune, etc.), but any of the other stuff, I procrastinate until it has to be done. I do, and have always enjoyed detailing our vehicles, but I never did it for a job.

I look at being an automotive technician as a job. The only place you can go would be a service manager. There is very little other opportunities, within a dealership anyway, where you will be able to advance your career. I now have a career in computers and have an open ceiling for advancement.

If that is what you love to do and want to be an auto technician, go for it. I have always said that I would not hold anyone back from their dream. It is up to you, but don't just look at the near future, look at the distant future. Things like benefits, retirement, etc. The benefits in the auto industry plain suck!!!

I apologize for the length, but if there is anything that I can do to help, please let me know. Good luck on your decision.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

after reading all this I will stick to detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Become a Detailer! Make your own hours, choose how much you make and enjoy your life. That's what I do. If you want something bad enough you will FIND a way to get it. School in my opinion, is not going to change your self motivation. You work in a grocery store, have you been promoted? Ever received a raise? Take pride in what're you do in life and all the benefits will follow. Just some friendly advice.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Love's Auto View Post
    Become a Detailer! Make your own hours, choose how much you make and enjoy your life. That's what I do. If you want something bad enough you will FIND a way to get it. School in my opinion, is not going to change your self motivation. You work in a grocery store, have you been promoted? Ever received a raise? Take pride in what're you do in life and all the benefits will follow. Just some friendly advice.
    actually I have had a promotion and 4 raises and Ive only been there 1 1/2 years. But I see what your saying. Imaging what I can do with something I am motivated with

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a firm believer in "the more education the better". If you decide down the road you don't want to be a mechanic anymore and want to pursue another career, you will still have the knowledge and know how to repair your own cars. That in itself will save you money over the years.
    John
    Mean people suck

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast