autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Do you remember these automotive "gimmicks"???

So I was talking to my fiance yesterday about weird things in the automotive world that never took off, some I can understand for sure, let me share a couple and maybe you guys can bring up some too, enjoy:

Michelin's "Dura Black" tires...said to keep your tires looking newer longer, hmmm, guess that didn't make it because I haven't heard too much about it in quite a while.

BFG and their colored tread patten, aimed at the import scene. Not a horrible idea but when the gangs got ahold of them they'd mark their territory but what about the yellow ones....wait I know, regular people could've bought those and marked their neighborhoods to show they're scrared of the gangs!

Lavender scented tires, forgot the mfg of those but it would throw that scent for about the first 10k, surprised Martha Stewart didn't jump on that, imagine the possbilities, LOL!

Cam2 oil w/graphite....great idea for lubrication but what happens when all that graphite builds up....EXACTLY!!!
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you remember these automotive "gimmicks"???

Popular Mechanics magazines from back in the 60s talked about the flying car being available in about 5-10 years.

Nobody ever figured out how they would be managed. If you think people are nuts with 4 wheels on the ground...imagine those same people ...with flying cars.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: Do you remember these automotive "gimmicks"???

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    Popular Mechanics magazines from back in the 60s talked about the flying car being available in about 5-10 years.

Nobody ever figured out how they would be managed. If you think people are nuts with 4 wheels on the ground...imagine those same people ...with flying cars.
    I heard on the news there's an actual flying car coming out in 2015 and costs about $280k.....God help us all!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Cam2 oil w/graphite....great idea for lubrication but what happens when all that graphite builds up....EXACTLY!!!
    You must be too young to remember ArcoGraphite, a great oil, but people didn't like it because it was black on the dipstick so you couldn't tell when your oil was "dirty", and leaks and spills looked really bad, not to mention if you got it on your clothes. It also seemed to eat fuel pump diaphragms, back when there were mechanical fuel pumps...

Great oil though, every car I put it in I had to turn the idle speed down because it decreased the friction in the engine so much the idle RPM's would go up by a couple of hundred (this was back in the day when we had a thing on the engine called a carburetor, that had adjustment screws and what-not).

Post Thanks / Like

built a show truck in the 90s with bfg scorcher tires. yellow in the treads. matched the interior and pinstriping. cool brother

Post Thanks / Like
    Detail doctor, wipe new.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

Post Thanks / Like
    What about that horrible colored window tint? Pink, purple (neon purple not faded tint purple), yellow, red etc.

The "pep boys" double windshield wipers with the "spoilers" or wings on them...

100,000 mile spark plugs were always my favorite! Same with all the multiple electrode plugs that magically made multiple sparks from one... I can't remember the name of those!
    2011 Corvette Grand Sport & 2007 TrailBlazer SS (Both black!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Setec, I'm 43 but remember my Uncle's Town Car needing a new engine after a couple years of that Cam2 garbage!

Colored window tint, almost got it done to my 78' Caprice back in 88', LOL.

100k plugs....ummm, I think a lot of cars have those from the factory nowadays.

Keep em coming guys, love the double wipers but don't forget about the colored chrome covers that came with them, LOL! I also like wipe new too!!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

This is before my time but glitter product in tire shine, made the tires sparkly until it rained.
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

Post Thanks / Like

Michelin still lists Durablack on their site. Could be they use it and just don't promote it anymore, kind of like radial tech, everything is that now so you don't hear them talking about the "X" anymore.

Tire Glossary | Michelin Tires

I just saw some scented tires from a new company somewhere the other day.

Kumho has them as well as colored ones for colorful burnouts.

Kumho obviates need for scented tree air fresheners with new tires

http://www.kumhotire.com/tire/tire_d...jsp?prdt_id=13
    Scented fuel additives are popular among racers or others burning some racing fuels that can be very foul.

DOuble wiper blades

SCRUBBLADE - The Clear Choice in Windshield Wipers
    Vinny

Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast