autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

The worst vehicle you ever owned was...

OK, so going through a photo book of my daughter today from a vacation, spring 94 (she was 6). Reflecting on stuff like that lately, especially as she got engaged for Christmas.

We used to go to a lot of Tow Shows especially the Ga, Al, Tn show that rotated every year year between the three of us. Then every spring in Orlando is a really great show and one of just many reasons to go see Mickey Mouse as a "busines expense".

Any-who.... found something that brought this subject up in those photos. We've all had one, or at least most of us I bet have had one. That would be what is that ONE vehicle you owned that just made your skin crawl? The one that you had so much hope for when you bought it? Perhaps it was a personal car, a hot rod, or a work truck, even a motorcycle. (Or in some instances I've seen some pretty bad 4-wheeler/ATV's.)

So for me, it was a 94 Ford Super Duty that I ordered, and built, as I had since 85 to TAKE TO the Florida Tow Show. OMG was that truck bad news! Broke down right away, broke down regular and often. Heck, they put TWO water pumps on it before it hit 19,000 miles. I mean this darned thing spit injectors, blew gaskets, rear seals, brakes locked up, rear main seal, electrical.... you freaking name it! At one time the local Ford dealer would have as many as 3 different RO's going at once. I'd leave it there, drive another truck, and when it got really busy I'd go try to limp it outta' there to do a 'quickie' and take it right back so they could still work on it.

It made for about 3 weeks, then once things started happening there were open RO days where it was at the dealership totalling 72 days in only 4 months. Now up until I was Ford blue through and through. Had made a LOT of money with them for 10 years and expected to make a lot more. NOPE, not gonna' happen! So, what did they do? Nothing; not from the light duty division, (because it was a commercial vehicle) not from the Heavy Duty Truck commercial division (because it wasn't considered a heavy duty truck).

Finally we had to change dealerships, TWICE. Everyone that touched it said it was jinxed. So a total of 3 dealerships over 18 months or so just gave up. No dealership HAS to work on your car. Doesn't matter what make it is, they can just say you need to take it somewhere else. Go figure......

Then I went to my sign guy (that did all the lettering you see in the photos) and had him make 3 dozen lemons and some creative wordsmithing. Remember, "Ford is job one", or "Have you driven a Ford lately?" What about putting in big yellow letters across the back glass "Ford is job NONE" and down the side of the bed, both sides, "Have you driven a lemon lately?". Top that off with 3 dozen lemons all over and you've now got lemonaid. Then take it to where else, Atlanta Motor Speedway and drive it all around the infield all weekend long. Yup, that gets peoples attention for sure! People would ask,, "What all is wrong with it?" and I'd reply "How much time do you have?"

In the end, sold it for a $45,000 loss and just walked away. The history on it was well known and personally I felt sorry for the guy. From then on, GMC 6500 series CAT power was the way to go.

The one thing I did do was keep it clean. Every week like clockwork. While it may look brand new in the photo, it had been on the road since Jan, and this was the 2nd week in April. (pretty new, but it had been working, and I almost had to TOW it to the Tow Show.)

Oh well, so that's my story what is yours?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The worst vehicle you ever owned was...

Daggum, what a story.. I hope I don't jinx myself, but I have yet to own any vehicle that's completely let me down.. :fingers_crossed:
    I see swirls everywhere!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    ok, so going through a photo book of my daughter today from a vacation, spring 94 (she was 6). Reflecting on stuff like that lately, especially as she got engaged for christmas.

We used to go to a lot of tow shows especially the ga, al, tn show that rotated every year year between the three of us. Then every spring in orlando is a really great show and one of just many reasons to go see mickey mouse as a "busines expense".

any-who.... Found something that brought this subject up in those photos. We've all had one, or at least most of us i bet have had one. That would be what is that one vehicle you owned that just made your skin crawl? The one that you had so much hope for when you bought it? Perhaps it was a personal car, a hot rod, or a work truck, even a motorcycle. (or in some instances i've seen some pretty bad 4-wheeler/atv's.)

so for me, it was a 94 ford super duty that i ordered, and built, as i had since 85 to take to the florida tow show. Omg was that truck bad news! Broke down right away, broke down regular and often. Heck, they put two water pumps on it before it hit 19,000 miles. I mean this darned thing spit injectors, blew gaskets, rear seals, brakes locked up, rear main seal, electrical.... you freaking name it! at one time the local ford dealer would have as many as 3 different ro's going at once. I'd leave it there, drive another truck, and when it got really busy i'd go try to limp it outta' there to do a 'quickie' and take it right back so they could still work on it.

it made for about 3 weeks, then once things started happening there were open ro days where it was at the dealership totalling 72 days in only 4 months. Now up until i was ford blue through and through. Had made a lot of money with them for 10 years and expected to make a lot more. Nope, not gonna' happen! So, what did they do? Nothing; not from the light duty division, (because it was a commercial vehicle) not from the heavy duty truck commercial division (because it wasn't considered a heavy duty truck).

Finally we had to change dealerships, twice. Everyone that touched it said it was jinxed. So a total of 3 dealerships over 18 months or so just gave up. No dealership has to work on your car. Doesn't matter what make it is, they can just say you need to take it somewhere else. Go figure......

Then i went to my sign guy (that did all the lettering you see in the photos) and had him make 3 dozen lemons and some creative wordsmithing. Remember, "ford is job one", or "have you driven a ford lately?" what about putting in big yellow letters across the back glass "ford is job none" and down the side of the bed, both sides, "have you driven a lemon lately?". Top that off with 3 dozen lemons all over and you've now got lemonaid. Then take it to where else, atlanta motor speedway and drive it all around the infield all weekend long. Yup, that gets peoples attention for sure! People would ask,, "what all is wrong with it?" and i'd reply "how much time do you have?"

In the end, sold it for a $45,000 loss and just walked away. The history on it was well known and personally i felt sorry for the guy. From then on, gmc 6500 series cat power was the way to go.

the one thing i did do was keep it clean. Every week like clockwork. While it may look brand new in the photo, it had been on the road since jan, and this was the 2nd week in april. (pretty new, but it had been working, and i almost had to tow it to the tow show.)

Oh well, so that's my story what is yours?

fixed or repaired daily, found on roadside dead, fuc/'d on race day

Post Thanks / Like

My very first car was a 1980 Chevy Luv. It was yellow and rust. The moon roof had clear caulking around the edge to "seal" it from leaks. There were holes in the floor so I could literally see out to the road under the truck while I was driving. I bought it for $100 (not running) and had to replace the head gasket before I could drive it.

Even though it was a total piece of crap I had a lot of pride in it. It took me a few weeks to figure everything out with the engine (all I had was a Chilton and my dad's tool set).

I plan on doing the same thing for my kids regardless of how well off I am when they get to driving age. "Here is a car... fix it so it drives and you can have all the freedom you want." I guarantee after putting in all that work they will be doing basic maintenance like changing the oil & checking fluids. On top of that they will be able to tell if a mechanic is pulling their chain on any major repairs that may be needed.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchdoc View Post
    fixed or repaired daily, found on roadside dead, fuc/'d on race day
    First On Race Day
    Found On Road Dominating
    Found Off Road Dominating
    For Off Road Domination

lol. Had to do it. I'm a ford guy as you can see .

OP, sorry to hear about the truck. Those things are usually pretty reliable, but I guess there's always a few lemons. I do agree with the ford service departments sucking(the ones around here do), but I like to try and do major work myself. Saves money and I know it's done right.

The worst vehicle I've ever had is (technically my sisters) a 2004 Buick Rendezvous. Still have it now, but my god is that thing aggravating. Absolutely impossible to do any work on it, and it seems to be needing stuff every day. Has the problematic 3400 I6 engine,and combine that with fact that its built on a van platform (half of engine tucked away in the firewall)....it's a teetotal nightmare. Any standard maintenance job that would take about an hour or less on a normal car will take double the time on the rendezvous. And don't even get me started on the problematic interior electronics or the infamous dexcool (deathcool). And countless other problems rendezvous' tend to have that have yet to present themselves yet in my sisters car *shudder*

Did I mention that the car only has around 50,000 miles?
    '93 Blue Mustang GT,'01 Chrome Yellow Ranger Edge,'02 Blue Expedition XLT, '09 Black Focus SES, '12 Dark Sterling Gray Mustang V6 MCA Edition, '95 Rio Red SVT Cobra

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny this was until that darned thing I figured they'd have to bury me in a Ford, (at least for a work truck). Back then, (in the 80's) there was no such thing as a decent Chevy chassis cab that you could mount a rollback too. Especially if you wanted a diesel!

My other truck was a Choo Choo Custom S10 extended cab 4x4.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wanna say my 1995 3000gt vr4, even though I blew 2 engines. The car was far from stock. It was pushing 400+ awhp I was 10K in debt for that car alone. But I would own one again to spank those snobby Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, vette, cobra owners here in Socal lol. The look on their face when I would launch was priceless

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

1999 chevy blazer, got it brand new when I graduated high school. Right after the warranty ran out the problems began. Alternator, egr valve, 2 catalitic converters, muffler, water pump, wheel hubs twice, left me stranded twice, paint defects, there was some problem with it starting that no one could figure out and the tranny was starting to go. I sold it with 76,000 mles on it. I loved that truck when I first got it.

Post Thanks / Like

2005 Chevy Trailblazer with the inline 6. We had alot of issues with motor sensors going bad on a weekly basis. Finally got rid of it after a year, and have never looked back. Driving Fords now, no issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iron400 View Post
    2005 Chevy Trailblazer with the inline 6. We had alot of issues with motor sensors going bad on a weekly basis. Finally got rid of it after a year, and have never looked back. Driving Fords now, no issues.
    After I got rid of my blazer, I bought an escape. I loved that thng, I beat the hell out of it, barely did any mantenance on it and it ran great.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast